Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Razor's 2016 NFL Mock Draft Version 1.0

Mock drafts are fun. I love doing them, and while the internet is absolutely inundated with mocks that don’t mean anything I… actually am just contributing to the deluge. Don’t mind that though, instead buckle in, and prepare to clench your anus in frustration as I take you on a wild ride. No trades in this mock, it may not be realistic to do so, but reality is where disappointment and sadness live, and I will have none of that.

1. Tennessee Titans - Jalen Ramsey, S, Florida State

Chance of trade: Low

Positions of priority: Offensive Line, Starting WR, Defensive Line, Secondary

As I have described above, the Titans actually have a lot of holes they need to fill. For a team with a potential franchise QB, there is not a lot else going on. Orakpo and Casey are studs on the defense, but it’s barren otherwise, and the offense hasn’t had a WR break out yet. The Titans would prefer to stockpile some picks and have a quality team for the future, but no one really has the incentive to move up. In any case, the Titans would be best served going with the BPA, and while picking a DB first overall is unprecedented, Ramsey has both versatility and raw talent to his name.

2. Cleveland Browns - Joey Bosa, OLB, Ohio State

Chance of trade: Almost None

Positions of priority: Quarterback, Starting WR, Offensive Line, Defensive Line, Linebackers, Safety

For a long time I was certain the Browns would grab a QB here, but they recently signed Robert Griffin to a deal. It’s not starter money, but it made me think about what the Browns priorities would be, and what the Browns would do if left to their own devices. And that itchy feeling in the back of my neck manifested as a thought… the Browns would be far more likely to trade up in the first to grab a QB then take a guy this early. Make no mistake, they need a franchise QB, but Robert Griffin has the potential to be a stopgap until his body fails completely, so they might feel better off grabbing a versatile player to bolster their defense. The Browns need help everywhere. Taking a page from the Broncos book, and building around pass rushers might be a common trend for teams with a dearth in talent.

3. San Diego Chargers - Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss

Chance of trade: Low

Positions of Priority: Offensive Line, Runningback, Secondary, General Depth

San Diego has a lot of options here, but as long as this team is ravaged by injuries there is not a lot of hope of them meeting the potential they’re supposed to have year in and year out. Going with Tunsil just makes a lot of sense here, as he looks like a real slam dunk pick and one of those rare offensive tackle prospects you can’t afford to miss out on. Protecting Rivers is more important than ever given that his time is coming to an end.

4. Dallas Cowboys - Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State

Chance of Trade: Medium

Positions of Priority: Secondary, Defensive Line, Linebacker, Backup QB / Future Starter

I think the Cowboys have a lot of potential to move around, despite being 4-12 last year, their major needs are all centered on the defense, and given the chance to acquire two top 50 picks for a top 5 pick, they would probably take it given the chance. However they aren’t getting that opportunity in this mock. While I would typically give them a pick to bolster their defense, we saw how pathetic the Cowboys were with the collection of chucklefucks they had behind Romo last year. Kellen Moore won’t win you football games, and Romo’s skeleton is softer than a kitten’s underbelly at this point of his career. The Cowboys need a replacement and Wentz gives them a whole ton of potential to work with.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars - Myles Jack, DE/OLB, UCLA

Chance of Trade: Almost None

Positions of Priority: Offensive Line, Linebacker, Edge Rusher, Cornerback

Jacksonville’s defense looks much better after an aggressive free agency period, but it still needs work. The Jags could not get to a QB to save their lives so the addition of Myles Jack, the improvement of the health of Dante Fowler, and the signing of Malik Jackson should go a long way into making that defense a force to be reckoned with. Going with a corner is also a potential option here, but Jack is just such a physical force that it’s worth going after him. Gus is on the hottest of seats anyway, might as well grab the most dominant playmaker you can.

6. Baltimore Ravens - Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame

Chance of Trade: High

Positions of Priority: Offensive Line, Cornerback, Linebacker

I can easily see Ozzie Newsome wanting to bounce out of this spot if the chips don’t fall his way, he’s never been the kind of GM to sit on a pick if he can get more value elsewhere. There are still a lot of talented players on the board for Ozzie to get at, but I think protecting the investment in Joe Flacco will be the highest priority for them in this draft. With Osemele going to Oakland and Eugene Monroe’s health being an issue, bolstering the offensive line is the top priority. Otherwise we’re gonna see a lot of injured birds again.

7. San Francisco 49ers - Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida

Chance of Trade: Chip’s Wild Ride has no Brakes

Positions of Priority: Cornerback, WR, Centre, Right Tackle, Edge Rusher, ILB, Quarterback

I’m sure you’re thinking: But Razor, this has to be a QB here! The 49ers don’t want Kaepernick, and they aren’t going to actually start Blaine Gabbert. To which I say nothing, but I laugh in your face. Chip has a plan, and that plan is half baked and half cocked. However I can say for certain that Chip does not have a guy in this draft and I think he’ll forgo going QB early to instead focus on the rest of the holes on this team. Hargreaves provides the talent as well as the satiation of a need, but I know the 49ers will attempt to bounce from this spot if they can. Maybe spread some rumours about the Eagles wanting a QB to someone desperate...

8. Philadelphia Eagles - from MIA - Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame

Positions of Priority: WR, CB, Linebacker, Quarterback, Runningback

Still no second QB off the board. The Eagles may need a QB, but the Eagles don’t think they need a QB. In addition, a ton of cap room is already sunk into the position, and the Eagles have spent a lot of money on guys this offseason. My pick for the Eagles may be a little unorthodox, but Doug Pederson loves spreading out his receivers, getting them into space, and Fuller is deadly when the QB is airing it out. So whether it’s Bradford, Daniel or someone else, Fuller is gonna produce in that scheme.

9. Tampa Bay Bucs - Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State

Chance of Trade: Almost None

Positions of Priority: Defensive End, Corner, Safety, Offensive Line

Tampa has a nice offensive core going, but it’s a little shaky when it comes to depth. However unless there is some can’t miss prospect early on, you aren’t filling depth with your first round pick, you’re grabbing your starters (well you hope). Apple has the physical traits you love in a corner and is a good match for the starting WR’s in the league on measurables. I have my personal doubts about him being a strong player, but for the Bucs he’s a high priority pick.

10. New York Giants - DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon

Chance of Trade: Low

Positions of Priority: RB, Offensive Line, Wide Receiver (depending on Cruz), Defensive End, Safety

Buckner slots in to replace Robert Ayers’s production. The Giants defense last year was atrocious, so their GM was forced to go ham in free agency just to save his job. Janoris Jenkins, Damon Harrison and Olivier Vernon will not be enough however. Free Agency is a supplement to the draft, and the Giants still need help on that defense. They should continue to build that front up, and fill out the defensive needs as they come.

11. Chicago Bears - Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

Positions of Priority: Offensive Line, Defensive End, Cornerback, Skill Position Depth

The Bears have a lot of options here, but the elite players are quickly drying up. So in the decision between need and value, the Bears go for value here, grabbing what they hope is an elite pass rusher to give their defense some bite. They’ve fortified the middle of the defense with Trevathan and Freeman, so now it’s time to give the offense someone to fear.

12. New Orleans Saints - Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville

Positions of Priority: Defensive Line, Interior Offensive Line, Wide Receiver

The Saints need a lot of help on that defense, Rob Ryan had a historically awful unit last year. Building some character in the trenches will go a long way for this team, especially after getting Jame Laurinaitis for leadership in the linebacking corps. Rankins is a big powerful threat, and should help disrupt the pocket to keep Jameis and Whoa Cam under control.

13. Miami Dolphins - from Philadelphia - Ezekiel Elliot, RB, Ohio State

Positions of Priority: Runningback, Guards, Corner, Defensive Tackle

The Dolphins are desperate to get a legitimate running back for their offense. Since they couldn’t keep Miller, and the CJ Anderson deal fell through, they might feel obligated to grab the big physical talent that fell right to them. The Dolphins need a lot of help, and at the very least they tried to address a lot of those needs in free agency. Elliot should give them the playmaker they desperately need on that offense, since no one else is doing anything for that team.

14. Oakland Raiders - Reggie Ragland, MLB, Alabama

Positions of Priority: Linebacker, Corner, General Depth

The Raiders may be a little gunshy with their last try at an Alabama Linebacker with all the intangibles, but this new regime has some actual accountability about them, and Ragland isn’t nearly the character issue that Rolando McClain was. Ragland gives the Raiders defense the physicality it needs to keep pace with the Chiefs and Broncos in that respect. This would be a match made in heaven for the Raiders, that’s for sure.

15. Los Angeles Rams - Jared Goff, QB, California

Chance of Trade: Almost Certain

Positions of Priority: QB, Offensive Line, WR, Linebacker, Safety

The Rams in this scenario would almost certainly try to move up the second they see the first QB fall off the board, if not sooner. There is zero chance the Rams go into the season with Keenum as the starter, and I’m certain a team could convince them that Goff and Wentz would no longer be on the board by a certain pick. Be that as it may, Goff falls this far simply because the teams that would take him decide it’s in their best interests not to. If there wasn’t a QB available, I think they’d resign themselves to the best OL prospect available.

16. Detroit Lions - Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

Chance of Trade: Medium-High

Positions of Priority: Offensive Line, Wide Receiver, Defensive Line, Cornerback

The Lions have a lot of holes to fill and not a lot of time. The Lions new GM is a Patriots disciple, so you know he’ll be working the draft, trying to find the perfect position and collection of picks. The Lions have a lot of talent in certain spots but not nearly enough to blow the doors out against their division rivals. If they’re staying put here, they’ll go with the lineman they like more, and I have a feeling they want the penetrating push of Reed ahead of the brick wall A’Shawn Robinson provides, or the potential of any of the Offensive Tackles available.

17. Atlanta Falcons - A’Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama

Positions of Priority: WR, TE, OT, Pass Rusher, Defensive Tackle

Atlanta needs some bite on that defense, and Robinson should provide that for them. He’s a big stone wall and the Falcons are gonna need some fresh legs at that spot after relying on Jonathan Babineaux for the last decade. Getting pressure on the young QB’s in this division is going to be the key for the NFC South.

18. Indianapolis Colts - Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss

Positions of Priority: Everything that isn’t QB or WR

So I have seen the mind of Ryan Grigson, and when you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you. It was the most daunting of terrors, mere words would not do to describe the fear I felt as the sound of silence wracked my bones and left me a shapeless husk on the ground. To know Ryan Grigson is to know death, and the Colts will know death, sure as the sun rises.

19. Buffalo Bills - Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

Positions of Priority: Offensive Line, Edge Rusher, Defensive Tackle, Secondary

The Flyin’ Ryan Brothers need a legitimate pass rusher like I need currency, so it only makes sense that they’d go hard for their guy and grab him, no matter what the perspective is on reaching for talent. Lawson is a disruptive force, and they should get more out of him than a Mario Williams who was dogging it every play.

20. New York Jets - Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State

Positions of Priority: Offensive Line, QB, Linebackers

With D’Brick retiring, Offensive Tackle goes from a need to THE Need. Luckily Ferguson gave them a few weeks before the draft so the Jets could prepare. If Conklin falls into their lap, the pick is easy. If he doesn’t… well let’s just say whoever ends up being the Jets QB is gonna be spending a lot of time face down in the dirt.

21. Washington Redskins - Xavien Howard, CB, Baylor

Positions of Priority: Corner, Inside Linebacker, Interior Offensive Line

The Redskins want to keep their positive momentum going, and that means bolstering the team through the draft. The secondary is a major flaw for the Skins, as it has been for years. They need all the help they can get, so Howard makes too much sense here. It may be a little early for a corner, but in practice you end up taking them a little higher than you’d like to make sure you get them.

22. Houston Texans - Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor

Positions of Priority: Receivers, Defensive Line, Secondary

I can see the Texans making a move downward here. It’s possible I don’t value WR’s as highly as most people do, but it feels like a team who wants one could stand to wait. However trades are not happening, so the Texans are staying put and they are gonna love the shit I give them. Except I think Coleman is actually gonna be a stud in this league. He’ll give Oz another big strong WR to throw to, and hopefully that’ll make all the difference for this new look Texans offense.

23. Minnesota Vikings - Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State

Positions of Priority: Holder (LACES OUT, JEFF), Wide Receiver, Defensive End

Minnesota actually has a lot of talent, so they don’t need to draft for need here, nor should they. The Vikings are a young team, but they need players who are hungry to keep them competitive. Ogbah is the perfect fit for a Zimmer lead team, and he has the talent to be molded into a real stud.

24. Cincinnati Bengals - Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State

Position of Priority: Wide Receiver, Linebacker, Defensive End, Corner

The Bengals have a lot of different directions they can go with this pick, but the highest priority should be getting a legitimate second wide receiver for Andy Dalton. Both Green and Eifert are tremendous players, but replacing Sanu and Marvin Jones’ production will be difficult with just Brandon LaFell. Thomas is a good balanced receiver and fits right with the Bengals offense.

25. Pittsburgh Steelers - Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

Positions of Priority: Secondary, Linebackers, Nose Tackle, Left Tackle

You’ve got a position on a defense? I’ll bet you Pittsburgh has a hole there. The offense is supremely talented, and seems to find a new late round WR every few years to replace the next guy they lose, so it’s time to focus on that defense again, make Steeler football what it was supposed to be again. There are a lot of options here, but the Steelers absolutely need a shut down corner to keep offenses in check. There are no shut down corners anymore, but Alexander will be the next best thing when he’s ready to go.

26. Seattle Seahawks - Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State

Positions of Priority: Offensive Line, Cornerback, Defensive Tackle

The Seahawks have a strong team, and look to be front runners in the NFC again, but only if they can fix their ailing offensive line. Taylor Decker is a good start, but he doesn’t seem like he’ll be at his best on the blind side. Still, they can’t be beggars about fixing their offensive line, it’s do or die for Russell Wilson, maybe literally if he has no protection.

27. Green Bay Packers - Adolphus Washington, DE, Ohio State

Positions of Priority: Linebackers, Offensive Tackle, Defensive Line

I’m just now noticing how many players Ohio State has that are projected to go in the first… it’s kind of ridiculous. Anyway, the Packers will hopefully figure out what the hell went wrong with Aaron Rodgers down the stretch and hope it was just deeply missing Jordy Nelson. If not… well maybe the Packers should have drafted Cody Kessler instead. :p

28. Kansas City Chiefs - William Jackson, CB, Houston

Positions of Priority: Wide Receiver, Secondary, Inside Linebacker, Offensive Line

With this the Chiefs corners could win DROTY two years in a row. I think they could get Jackson a little later if they wanted, but not much later than where they’re picking now. In any case, it’s important to keep your secondary well stocked, especially with the influx of new weapons in this division.

29. Arizona Cardinals - Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

Positions of Priority: Offensive Line, Cornerback, Depth

Uh, surprise bitch. Carson Palmer is old as balls, so you know the QB whisperer sees a talent like Lynch and is thinking “yeah, I can make this work.” So Carson’s end will be an interesting through the looking glass sort of situation where he goes from sitting his rookie year behind a wily vet to being the wily vet in front of a young rookie with a strong arm. Things go full circle, seasons change as all men grow older.

30. Carolina Panthers - Germain Ifedi, OT, Texas A&M

Positions of Priority: Offensive Tackles, Wide Receiver, Secondary Depth

Cam needs a bodyguard. The outside rush he faced in the super bowl was unreal and a huge reason why they were on the losing end of the super bowl. Getting a tackle with a real mean streak to him is exactly what they need to stay top dog in the NFC. Well that and get someone who can catch the football, but that’ll come in time.

31. Denver Broncos - Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame

Positions of Priority: Offensive Line, QB, Inside Linebacker, Defensive End

Paxton Lynch is the popular pick because Denver needs a QB, etc etc… but that’s clearly not going to happen. Either some team is going to trade ahead to grab him, he goes way earlier than expected, or a team like Arizona or Kansas City picks him up because they aren’t satisfied with their current situation. Denver trading up to take him is an option, but we do have more needs than just a QB, and we managed to win a super bowl with a shitty one. John Elway knows this, so instead of taking the planned pick, he’ll move to bolster the offensive line for a later round QB. At this stage it doesn’t matter whether the guy is Connor Cook, Dak Prescott, Kevin Hogan, or someone else entirely, we’ll build the offense so they have a chance to succeed, rather than putting it square on their shoulder right out of the gate.

If this shakes out as is, and Doctson is sitting there, and we get Ifedi instead... I will trust that G-Man knows what he's doing.

But man, I want Doctson in Carolina colors.

Great explanations and some good in-depth look at things.

Bosa what.

If not… well maybe the Packers should have drafted Cody Kessler instead. :p

post-30264-I-will-fuck-you-up-gif-Tropic

Edited by Chernobyl426

Can't wait to see the ~DaltonCumPatrol~ Posts.

He was an MVP candidate before injury :shrug:

Dumb luck for little Cherry tho.

Very nice.

My only :wut: moment was Xavien Howard

Of course the Jets traded for Clady the day after I wrote this up... smh.