Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Shit Flung at a Canvas: the 2015-16 Houston Rockets

Shit Flung at a Canvas: the 2015-16 Houston Rockets

There's an old expression in creative circles about "throwing shit at the canvas to see what sticks." It implies a recklessness during the composition process, a disregard for careful consideration of where the piece should go and what it should convey to the viewer. Every once in awhile, the recklessness turns out well for composer, but most of the time, it turns out like Daryl Morey's 2015-16 Houston Rockets.

The Rockets, composed haphazardly by Morey, a General Manager who is oddly worshipped by the media considering he has yet to produce anything meaningful for the franchise, are sporting a roster consisting of one inefficient shooter after the other. The three point percentages on the season are telling:

Ariza: 37%

Brewer: 28%

Beverly 40%

Harden 35%

Jones: 32%

McDaniels: 26%

Motiejunas: 28%

Smith: 25%

Terry: 35%

Houston, a team constructed to jack threes when James Harden gets bottled up in the lane, can't shoot threes consistently enough to function as Daryl Morey wants them to function. A little common sense on Morey's part could have told him that this roster needed to make some serious adjustments despite a miraculous trip the Western Conference Finals a year ago when the Rockets were handed a second round series by the Clippers.

Trevor Ariza has been hot or cold for most of his career. We couldn't expect him to shoot well because there are seasons where it just doesn't happen. His percentage is not terrible this year, but he's either on or he's not.

Corey Brewer is perhaps the streakiest shooter in the league with short-lived peaks but valleys so deep fans cringe every time he touches the ball—the guy even has a tendency to miss open layups. Why the hell is he still getting minutes?

Patrick Beverly is still developing his three point shot, though as a fan myself I'd say he's the guy I trust most at this point, and for good reason as he's the only player on the team with a three point percentage at .40 or above.

James Harden—Houston's supposed superstar—is having his worst year as a Rocket after finding himself in the MVP conversation last year when he spent much of the year flirting with triple doubles and putting forth a consistent, observable effort on defense. Unfortunately for the Rockets, Harden has selfishly returned to flat footed, stationary form on that end of the floor.

Terrence Jones is a post player who doesn't shoot but the occasional three, maybe one or two a game with the shot clock dwindling. Jones hasn't seen the floor in weeks for some odd reason.

KJ McDaniels is a bright spot for the Rockets late in the season, providing tenacity off the bench, the tenacity that Brewer provided last year when he was actually making shots. However, McDaniels is not a three point shooter, as evidenced by his percentage in the twenties.

Donatas Motiejunas still isn't healthy, and that's evident when watching him. He's not shooting the ball well from the arc and really isn't the player he was prior to his back injury a season ago.

Josh Smith? Apparently Houston traded for him to sit him on the bench next to Terrence Jones.

Last but not least is the old cat in the room—Jason Terry—this season has told Terry and his fans that it is his swan song, because there are too many nights where he can't hit anything from the outside, so he's been all but useless a majority of the time. As a Rockets fan, I wish it were different as Jason Terry plays the game the right way and his continued presence would be good for the one player on the Rockets roster who absolutely needs to change the way he plays—James Harden.

Harden continues to post impressive offensive stats each night, but when one looks at the shooting percentages, perspective tends to change. He doesn't even shoot 50% overall and has a rather pathetic three point percentage for a player who takes so many of them. Nevertheless, he carries the team to victories on some nights, but that is due to a poorly constructed roster of guys who'd struggle throw a golf ball into Lake Superior.

At what point do the Rockets decide to tell Harden that they need to go to a spacing and ball-movement offense akin to what has made the Warriors and Spurs so damn good over these past few years? Primary iso-offenses are not championship offenses anymore. There's a reason LeBron James doesn't lead his team to a title every year. James Harden needs to continue to handle the ball, but he needs to commit to moving it around the half-circle so Houston can actually get open shots as opposed to his 1-on-3 in the lane attempts or late shot clock heaves from guys who need to be wide open to have a prayer at making the shot. Quite frankly, it has never been more evident that James Harden needs to swallow his pride and adjust his offensive game.

The issues don't end with Harden's inefficiency. His arrogance is on full display throughout each and every game. Every time he throws a bad pass he's glaring at somebody as opposed to looking in the mirror. His teammates practically avoid him on the floor, a phenomenon I've never seen before. He is the primary ball handler, but on many occasions the ball is inbounded to another player despite Harden standing nearby and uncovered. We've all heard the reports about him being distant with his teammates off the floor. At one point are they no longer rumors? At what point can we deduce the James Harden simply doesn't have time for his teammates?

At some point I had to mention Dwight Howard, who is not having his best season, but regularly collects a 12-17 point 12-15 rebound double-double despite his issues hanging on to the ball. Howard is the punching bag for the media and in some cases earns it, but most nights he's good enough. I do wonder if he's hurt and we don't know about it yet—just watch the way he's lumbering down the floor. There's no lack of hustle, but his gait is not as loose and free as it was going into the playoffs last season, though he had been able to rest due to an injury early in the season. Perhaps he's too beat up to play most of an 82 game season anymore. One way or the other, I don't see the same lack of effort from Howard that I do in Houston's other superstar.

Lastly, I'd like to discuss interim Rockets head coach J.B. (John Blair) Bickerstaff. I was thrilled about his hiring, about as thrilled I was that Kevin McHale was finally shown the door. Bickerstaff has done about as well as one could expect considering Morey's mess of a roster. At the same time, I'm not thrilled about some of Bickerstaff's choices when it comes to the rotation. Terrence Jones is too damn good to never see the floor. Josh Smith deserves at least 8-10 minutes to see if he's hitting it from three each night. If he's not shooting well, leave him on the bench. If the shots are falling, give him 18-20 minutes. It can't be that difficult to find minutes for these two players when Corey Brewer is doing absolutely nothing with the minutes he's given. I get it—Michael Beasley is playing surprisingly well, but he's just Michael Beasley. He's nothing special, and he's not making the impact we're being led to believe. Bickerstaff is doing a fine job for the most part, but hopefully by the middle of next season (assuming he gets the job, outright), I hope to see better rotations.

Overall, the Rockets are a mess and don't belong in the playoffs, and while there are many factors coming into play here, each is directly related to a poorly constructed roster and a supposed superstar who won't play on both ends of the floor or show any leadership qualities. We all saw an eventual implosion coming, but did we expect the shit to continue to hit the fan over an entire 82 game season?

I'd like to start writing more at the site again. What do you guys think of this?

Edited by BwareDWare94
  • Upvote 2

When you have a spot in the playoffs on the line, you shouldn't be losing to Phoenix.

They're going to lose to Minnesota tomorrow, too, and might struggle to beat the Lakers today.

I thought Shit Thrown at a Canvas: Chicago Bulls and shitbag Hoiberg was a more fitting title...

Rockets are totally gonna land Kevin Durant during the offseason. I'm pretty much done with this team. They had talent, they couldn't even make that work and now Dwight and Harden are probably both gonna bolt at some point. The Rockets are just soon-to-be the current Sixers.

• Downvote 1

Harden deserves every poo-particle he's gotten.

Some could say feces attracts feces. I knew that beard didn't look like real facial hair.

Just saw some disturbing news with the Rockets wanting Thibs...

my heart... :fbm:

Bware you wrote this? It's very well written if so. What site is this for?

Just posted it on some forums.

Rockets are totally gonna land Kevin Durant during the offseason. I'm pretty much done with this team. They had talent, they couldn't even make that work and now Dwight and Harden are probably both gonna bolt at some point. The Rockets are just soon-to-be the current Sixers.

Looking back on my rep (sue me, I can do that), I noticed Zack negged me on this post, wanted to know why. If it was the Durant comment, you definitely misread the sarcasm. I do give Harden credit for staying with Houston though. Just a shame he's on the shitshow called the Rockets.

Looking back on my rep (sue me, I can do that), I noticed Zack negged me on this post, wanted to know why. If it was the Durant comment, you definitely misread the sarcasm. I do give Harden credit for staying with Houston though. Just a shame he's on the shitshow called the Rockets.

He's the main reason that they're a shit show.

Because fuck you for having that thought cross your mind.

Because fuck you for having that thought cross your mind.

The media claimed that the Rockets were even looking into landing KD. I didn't think of that, but it didn't surprise me either.

Edited by Sparty

You give Harden credit for staying? Why? Dude is a ballhog no playing D scrub. He is the reason the team is this way. If anyone should be getting credit its the Houston FO for being so dumb.

You give Harden credit for staying? Why? Dude is a ballhog no playing D scrub. He is the reason the team is this way. If anyone should be getting credit its the Houston FO for being so dumb.

Because we're now in an era of every player just wanting to win a championship and allowing the fucking over of any other fan base. I at least giving him credit for having the balls to actually stick to his team and just play to have fun, not play for the spotlight.

James Harden is one of the best players in the league, regardless of his defense.