Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Titans trade #1 pick

I don't buy that whole "depth" thing. The Rams got a trillion picks for RGIII and still have to sell the farm themselves to move up for a QB, and have been largely irrelevant outside of a dominant defensive line that has led to barely more wins. What exactly did they "win" from all those picks they got? Talent that's either leaving, or are coming into their final year(s) with little to show in terms of the W/L column.

The Titans are in good shape because they already have their franchise QB, so they automatically should be considered a winner in this. But again, if the Rams get their guy, and he pans out, they'll be just as happy. There will be more opportunities to add talent around a franchise QB, then there will be to actually get your hands on a franchise QB.

• Upvote 1

I don't buy that whole "depth" thing. The Rams got a trillion picks for RGIII and still have to sell the farm themselves to move up for a QB, and have been largely irrelevant outside of a dominant defensive line that has led to barely more wins. What exactly did they "win" from all those picks they got? Talent that's either leaving, or are coming into their final year(s) with little to show in terms of the W/L column.

The Titans are in good shape because they already have their franchise QB, so they automatically should be considered a winner in this. But again, if the Rams get their guy, and he pans out, they'll be just as happy. There will be more opportunities to add talent around a franchise QB, then there will be to actually get your hands on a franchise QB.

Rams got Brockers, Jenkins, Ogletree, S. Bailey, Zac Stacy, Greg Robinson and Pead out of that trade. Brockers is a respectable player, same with Jenkins and Ogletree. But what in God's name is this team doing taking 2 RB's with those picks?

The Rams and Jeff Fisher will not succeed simply due to the fact that the organization as a whole doesn't know how to draft or get the most out of their players..or retain good ones.

It's much easier to land hits on multiple players for depth...than it is to put everything into one pick and have the expectations of him being a franchise QB.

This draft has lots of talent that isn't top end, but players that will come into the NFL and will fill roles in certain schemes very well.

The thing is you can trade for all the picks, but you still need to hit on those picks in the draft. The Rams are where they are today because they haven't drafted consistently well. They've made hits in the front seven and literally nowhere else which is why they're just mediocre year in and year out.

Assuming they were able to get hits on all of their picks, the Rams would have added Brockers, stayed put for Alshon Jeffrey, stayed with Janoris Jenkins or maybe Bobby Wagner, grab Alec Ogletree, and then grab an actual QB with Blake Bortles. But I mean, that's hindsight.

Calling it.....Taylor Decker to Titans

• Upvote 1

This was too big of a gamble, especially when they don't have a clue who the guy is. I feel like the quarterback of the Rams could be just a quality game-manager type. With the defense and run game that good, you are essentially the Seahawks back in 2012, bringing in a rookie to not turn the ball over and keep the drive alive. Whoever you pick has to deal with bad weapons and bad pass-blocking, and your offensive style was never an air-attack to begin with. You also don't have the resources to replace Chris Long and the other key players they released.

Edited by BC
  • Upvote 1

If they are trying to do a long-term rebuild I would say take Wentz due to his accuracy and short game. You would seriously need to bolster that line to protect him though. A rebuild with Wentz takes 3-5 years to come around. Whereas Goff gets you in playoff contention immediately. Losing Long hurts but not nearly as much as losing Jenkins and McLeod. Paxton is the only guy I see as being a true superstar with the Rams, but I think it's clear they aren't gonna get him.

Cherry really loves this Goff guy

I love Paxton the most for what the Rams should do. :(

I'm trying to think through the Rams' logic and I think they might not have actually decided which QB they want. I don't see any reason you'd trade this much and not know which guy you're drafting, but at this point why would they need to be secretive about it? They don't have to worry about anyone blocking them and with money slotted by pick they don't have to worry about giving the player too much leverage. So with no discernible reason to lie about that, maybe they really don't know which one they're going to pick, which would have to mean they're sold on both. But if that's the case, couldn't they wait until the draft and see which QB falls past Cleveland? There are a couple issues with that, for one it sounds like there were a few teams were trying to trade for the Titans' pick, if any of those teams pulled off the trade then Goff and Wentz likely go 1 and 2 and LA is left without either, so they have to get into the top two to get either. There could also be issues with other teams in the top 5-10 being willing to drop all the way to 15. Still feels weird to make this trade without having decided who you're trading for, but I can see some logic in the move.

• Upvote 1

^This

At the end of the day...what sense does it make to trade up for all those picks and NOT know who you want still?

If that is indeed the case...this is the reason why the Rams have been scraping the bottom of the barrel for years and will continue to because of bonehead decision making in the front office.

I'm trying to think through the Rams' logic and I think they might not have actually decided which QB they want. I don't see any reason you'd trade this much and not know which guy you're drafting, but at this point why would they need to be secretive about it? They don't have to worry about anyone blocking them and with money slotted by pick they don't have to worry about giving the player too much leverage. So with no discernible reason to lie about that, maybe they really don't know which one they're going to pick, which would have to mean they're sold on both. But if that's the case, couldn't they wait until the draft and see which QB falls past Cleveland? There are a couple issues with that, for one it sounds like there were a few teams were trying to trade for the Titans' pick, if any of those teams pulled off the trade then Goff and Wentz likely go 1 and 2 and LA is left without either, so they have to get into the top two to get either. There could also be issues with other teams in the top 5-10 being willing to drop all the way to 15. Still feels weird to make this trade without having decided who you're trading for, but I can see some logic in the move.

Or maybe they do know who it is going to be, but for the sake of build up, drama, debate, relevancy, excitement, etc etc. they purposefully put on this "unsure" act. We've seen now, from various sources that the Rams are leaning BOTH towards Goff and Wentz.

It's a story for a franchise in a new market (kinda new?) who is trying to build excitement. The Rams have had crazy trouble trying to attract fans.... This circus, plus Hard Knocks is just what they need to get people excited.

Or maybe they do know who it is going to be, but for the sake of build up, drama, debate, relevancy, excitement, etc etc. they purposefully put on this "unsure" act. We've seen now, from various sources that the Rams are leaning BOTH towards Goff and Wentz.

It's a story for a franchise in a new market (kinda new?) who is trying to build excitement. The Rams have had crazy trouble trying to attract fans.... This circus, plus Hard Knocks is just what they need to get people excited.

I understand football is a business and a PR circus...

But at the end of the day if you're attracting more drama/attention and not winning...you're just gonna make life hell for you when you don't meet those expectations you're already setting yourself up for failure before the madness starts.

I understand football is a business and a PR circus...

But at the end of the day if you're attracting more drama/attention and not winning...you're just gonna make life hell for you when you don't meet those expectations you're already setting yourself up for failure before the madness starts.

Oh ya, totally agree. If you want the circus in town, you better know how to juggle, traverse a trapeze, and tame a lion -- if you catch my drift. None of which the Rams have ever proven the ability to do -- much less simultaneously.

• Upvote 1

Oh ya, totally agree. If you want the circus in town, you better know how to juggle, traverse a trapeze, and tame a lion -- if you catch my drift. None of which the Rams have ever proven the ability to do -- much less simultaneously.

This is exactly why I'm glad the Raiders didn't move to LA. LA is all about money, unnecessary attention, and unrealistic expectations.

• Upvote 1

I can see that, but I would think it'd be better to get the name out there and rally the new fan base around the new QB. If the "indecision" is just marketing bullshit it could very easily backfire on them if fans start to split over which QB they want. If that happens then a lot of your fans will have less patience to see the QB they didn't want anyway develop and if the guy you draft doesn't pan out half your fans will be saying "I knew we should have taken the other guy."

• Upvote 1

Unless Wentz is Drew Brees or Tom Brady, he won't fare well without WR's or an O-line. Just saying.

All you have is RB and DL...everything else is mediocre at best.

Again, Wentz did not have good WRs at NDSU. Possession receivers at the FCS level, guys with absolutely no shot at the NFL. He will do fine wherever he goes when it comes to pass-catchers. I can see the OL concerns but he did not have a perfect line at NDSU. They were good, and the LT was a stud, but they were young and inexperienced elsewhere and not even close to what Jensen played behind.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I think the build-up and smoke is great. It's stressful of course but my heart is going to be racing until draft night. I think the move is brilliant from every PR point of view. These guys are seen as basically dead even and most people think one or the other will bust. If the Rams hold onto those other picks they just stay in this 7-9 mediocrity loop. It's really exciting to have your team jump from #15 to #1 and grab its franchise guy. Whatever happens there are going to be a lot of entertained LA fans.

On Wentz, Bware is exactly right. A good QB can make WRs good. Wentz isn't necessarily as smart or quick on the reads as Tom and Drew, but his accuracy under 25 yards is second to none at the college level, and I think if he has time he is top 3 at that already in the NFL. Only Rodgers and maybe Brees have better short accuracy. If Wentz has time and they build a line for him he'll be an absolute monster. He doesn't even need receivers that are good. He just needs guys who catch 4/5 passes that are right on the money.

Yeah I don't see a team trying to create drama or debate for no reason. Especially having a coaching staff (who could care less about PR) going along with it in the media. It would be much better marketing to say who your guy is so all the fans can look him up and immerse themselves into his history, start getting customized jerseys, and all that fun stuff.

I don't know if they have a guy or not. But I don't think a lack of announcement has anything to do with marketing.

I almost refuse to believe that a professional football team would trade up losing all those picks, and don't already know who they want.

But it isn't necessarily a bad thing to be second guessing if the guy you want is truly the best player when the two options are potential franchise QB and potential franchise QB...

I almost refuse to believe that a professional football team would trade up losing all those picks, and don't already know who they want.

But it isn't necessarily a bad thing to be second guessing if the guy you want is truly the best player when the two options are unproven NFL QB's..

Fixed.

Yeah I don't see a team trying to create drama or debate for no reason. Especially having a coaching staff (who could care less about PR) going along with it in the media. It would be much better marketing to say who your guy is so all the fans can look him up and immerse themselves into his history, start getting customized jerseys, and all that fun stuff.

I don't know if they have a guy or not. But I don't think a lack of announcement has anything to do with marketing.

I disagree. And you are looking at drama in completely the negative connotation of it. Which is fine, as it could be portrayed as negative, but I think that would be more from a fans perspective. From the team perspective, I think the drama is more positive. It reflects the attention and excitement. It gets people talking about the Rams. If they announced who they were taking for sure, today... It would be hype for a couple days and then die. Once the draft actually gets here, everyone will know who the pick is and THEN we can start talking about that one guy. If he is as good as the Rams hope, we will have more than enough time to talk about them once they are officially in a Rams uniform. This pre-draft stuff? This is the time of year for hype and venturing into the unknown.

Internally, I do believe the Rams know who they want. But as far as promoting a new franchise in LA, I think it would be dumb to announce it now as we sit weeks away from them being on the clock. Just my .o2 of course.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Yeah. Most guys who haven't played in the NFL aren't proven in the NFL. Just a pattern, I guess.

Yeah. So it's absolutely stupid to give up that kind of potential among many picks for one. Lulz

• Upvote 1

Looking at the tape again. Goff has to be the guy. Goff over Wentz without a doubt in my mind now.

• Upvote 1