Cherry

General 2016 NFL Draft Discussion

Since we really only have the mock draft discussion and the wild speculation thread, I figured we could use one where we just discuss various pieces of the draft. Opinions on prospects. Opinions on picks as they are made. Things like that. Just a general discussion thread.

Kyle Crabbs from NDT scouting has Jason Spriggs as his #2 overall player. :puke:

Will not be watching 1 second of the NFL Draft.

tumblr_mqru4v6d4e1ry6msio1_400.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Will not be watching 1 second of the NFL Draft.

tumblr_mqru4v6d4e1ry6msio1_400.gif

To be fair you lost all your picks

I won't be watching either. I feel that the Raiders trade down in the 1st tho.

-Zeke Elliot being considered a top 5 pick is blowing my mind. He is a VERY willing and tough blocker, but has horrible technique. He is above average in speed which is probably average in the NFL. He has AMAZING vision, but so did Monte Ball. I think he is 1st round all day, but top 5.....its just crazy. Better get behind an amazing OL *ahem Dallas* Even his OC told me he is slightly above Carlos Hyde and he went in the 2nd round.

-Hunter Henry could very well be the next Heath Miller. But I just see pure crap on tape. I don't like his speed, don't like his routes, don't like his blocking. I don't know....the TE class is very weak, but still how is he #1?

-Stanley over Tunsil slightly. Floor vs Ceiling. Tunsil has the tools to be Walter Jones in the pass game, but he hasn't put it together with the run game or the mental part of it. Stanley has great tools, great technique....might be a peak player....that scares me a little. But day 1 (aka Rookie Year) I take the Golden Domer

-Noah Spence.....I have ZERO faith in him getting the edge in the NFL. He lacks length & power. He will try to speed against RTs and fold back inside with a counter move when he doesn't get the edge. It won't take long to scout that and I don't think he has the Robert Quinn type explosion that can whoop tackles despite being simplistic. And he HAS to be a 3-4 OLB so no versatility.

-Darron Lee is Ryan Shazier.

-Kyle Murphy & Joshua Garnett ending up together would instantly make you an effective run team to the right side.

-Mackensie Alexander falling in the stock is a smokescreen or a mistake!

-Carson Wentz & Jared Goff going so high is NO surprise. I called this way back when. It wasn't a nod or praise to their talents.....it was just an observation on the desperateness of the NFL teams. I KNEW someone would get super thirsty and push the QBs up. Four in the 1st round I feel it.

• Upvote 2

Wentz and Goff I can understand, and someone pulls the trigger the Lynch in the 20's, I just can't imagine who. Dunno who the 4th QB is though, and I don't think a team that falls in love with Cook or Hackensack even needs to worry about taking either of them in the first.

Wentz and Goff I can understand, and someone pulls the trigger the Lynch in the 20's, I just can't imagine who. Dunno who the 4th QB is though, and I don't think a team that falls in love with Cook or Hackensack even needs to worry about taking either of them in the first.

Oh I think you know them...... :Broncos:

Edited by butta54
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think Elliot has absolutely horrible technique for a RB, but it definitely isn't top tier. That's one of his better qualities is being a strong and willing blocker. I don't see the speed and power though.

I see a little bit of why people like Henry but I don't see him as anything special. He's a middle of the pack TE who benefited from a lot of production in college, not an athletic wonder who tore it up in all areas of the game. You truly do have to be Gronk Jr to be taken first round at TE.

I agree 100% on Stanley v Tunsil. Stanley is just so well-refined. I don't think he will have any issue in transitioning to the pro game. His floor is solid starter barring injuries or something.

I disagree on Spence. I think he has a pretty well-rounded game for being a mainly speed guy. He transitions his speed into power well IMO, and he has a couple of tricks up his sleeve when it comes to pass rushing moves. He's really tough to get locked up, from what I remember. If he gets jammed by a guy for a moment he can usually work his way out. Whereas Floyd and Ngakoue seemed to get locked up and caught between the guys arms. He doesn't have Quinn-like burst but he isn't a slug.

I don't know how to take this one. Compliment? Haha.

Mackenzie Alexander way overrated earlier on IMO. He'd have to hit the jackpot scheme-wise to really pan out well. He isn't that bad a cover guy but he's a pretty piss poor tackler and isn't as instinctive as you'd like in a first round CB.

I don't think Lynch survives past 20. I think a team will move up by 15 to get him. There is a huge market for QBs every year and it's rare you get a guy with that kind of upside dropping out of the top 5.

I don't know if anyone else is worth a first though. Hackenberg is a project and Cook has a pretty low ceiling.

Negged

DoubleNegged

Banned.

BYE!

• Upvote 1

When WalterFootball has Yannick Ngakoue higher than you

hqdefault.jpg

Well with the Giants need for defence I was hoping more than anything that they would take either Jack or Buckner.

Now with the two trades there is every chance that one if not both could be available at that spot. The Giants biggest need is MLB now that they filled the Dline in FA and if Jack has a high evaluation from his injury progress I'd expect him to be the pick considering he has started to move down boards.

If not Buckner would be my choice, has good pass rush ability and pairing him with JPP and Vernon with Hankins and Snacks on the inside could be awesome. I'm pretty sure in my CFB players to watch that Buckner would be one so I am glad that he came through.

Also I actually wouldn't mind maybe taking Floyd or Darron Lee.

Darron Lee wouldn't be a bad pick.

Floyd in top 10.

74fa7f738137145e9efbbef38627aaf7.jpg

Out of Floyd and Lee, My personal preference would be Lee.

The Dline was covered in FA and if both Jack and Buckner are off the board, then more pass rush will be what they look for. Both Floyd and Lee fit that bill so I can easily see the Giants taking either one.

As long as the Packers don't take a TE or trade up for Bosa or Spence, I am pretty OK with whatever or whoever we get.

Would love a trade up for Reggie Ragland or Myles Jack (depending if he falls, I doubt it, but covering my bases here). Otherwise I am okay with Darron Lee or pretty much any Dline prospect in our general area (Robinson, Reed, Butler).

A trade back just doesn't make much sense to me. We have a lot of talent on the roster and 9 picks already. I am not sure we have room to house all of those draft picks.... Which, to me, means we are set up more so this year to trade up than previous years. Get rid of some extra picks, get a real playmaker... I would be okay with that this like.. one time.

Really cool with a a range of players for the Lions. Only thing I don't want is a WR in the first. Except for someone like Floyd or Jack. Someone else's problems.

Skip the Wentz/Goff debate.....if Jaylon was healthy the Smith/Jack debate would have been AMAZING.

• Upvote 1

@RapSheet says the Jets could be targeting a WR in Round 1. That'd be interesting....

Idiotapolis Trash-Ass Franchise

If Leonard Floyd is unavailable, and they feel Noah Spence is to much of a risk, I'm hearing the Indianapolis Colts are considering Kamalei Correa in Round 1.

Please let this happen, classic Grigson if so.
Other Pauline rumors:

Minnesota Vikings

While everyone has seemingly mocked a wide receiver to the Minnesota Vikings in round one, recent reports by the team say they are not locked on to a receiver at that spot. Yesterday sources told me the Vikings will consider Robert Nkemdiche in round one if he's still available when they are called to the clock.

Sheldon Rankins and Chris Jones

The draft stock of Sheldon Rankins and Chris Jones continues to rise. Why? I was told a week ago teams believe Rankins and Jones are the best interior pass rushers in this year's defensive tackle class. A'Shawn Robinson, Jarran Reed and Vernon Butler are good players, but not nearly the pass rushers of Rankins or Jones. From a personal point of view, Jonathan Bullard and Kenny Clark have mistakenly been dismissed from the conversation of top pass-rushing defensive tackles.

Michael Thomas, WR, Ohio State

Several teams believe Ohio State wide receiver Michael Thomas is being undervalued and will be a much better NFL receiver than college wideout. They point to the fact he was the third and sometimes fourth option on the Buckeyes offense and also look at the advanced statistics (number of times targeted versus number of passes caught). I'm told the San Diego Chargers have been in contact with Thomas recently. The Cincinnati Bengals also give high grades to the wideout.

Teams around the league are engaged in the annual ritual of sending letters or emails and even calling prospects they would like the opportunity to sign as undrafted free agents. This of course assumes the players are not chosen during the seven rounds. The way some teams are going about this venture is creating bad blood.

I know of three instances where a pair of teams (who will remain nameless for the time being) called players and informed them that they were unlikely to be drafted, and the teams wanted the chance to sign them as free agents afterwards. In some instances the player's agent was called and given the same line. The problem arose as all the players contacted are expected to be middle-round choices and are very likely to be unavailable once the draft is complete. Hearing from teams they were "likely to go undrafted" has soured both players and agents on these teams and left a trail of angry people.

At any rate, how do teams around the league expect the first eight selections to pan out? After several conversations this afternoon this is the consensus:

1. :Rams: Jared Goff
  2. :Eagles: Carson Wentz
  3. :Chargers: DeForest Buckner
  4. :Cowboys: Jalen Ramsey
  5. :jags: Myles Jack
  6. :Ravens: Laremy Tunsil
  7. :49ers: Ronnie Stanley
  8. :Browns: Joey Bosa

I'm told the Chargers feel they desperately need a defensive lineman, while the 49ers desperately covet DeForest Buckner. There's a chance the Browns could trade down again, this time to the Miami Dolphins who would move up for Ezekiel Elliott.

Atlanta Falcons

The consensus has the Atlanta Falcons selecting linebacker Darron Lee with the 17th pick of Round 1, but I'm hearing both Clemson linemen, Kevin Dodd and Shaq Lawson, are in play for the team. I'm also told that head coach Dan Quinn has been pushing hard for safety Keanu Neal for a number of weeks, but the feeling is the only way the team selects Neal is in a scenario where they are able to trade down.

Washington Redskins

Staying with the safety position, I'm told the Washington Redskins would like to trade down then select Karl Joseph of West Virginia.

Penissee Titshaters

If they don't trade any of their second-round picks, there's a very good chance the Tennessee Titans will use one to select Braxton Miller. Most people I've spoken with don't believe Miller gets past the Houston Texans in Round 2.

Another player the Titans will consider on the second day of the draft is linebacker Joshua Perry of Ohio State. While the feeling from most teams is Perry is best on the inside of a 3-4, there is some belief he could play on the outside in that system.

Denver Broncos

The Denver Broncos will look to add a running back sometime during the last day of the draft, and I'm told they like Peyton Barber of Auburn in the sixth-round area.

New York Giants

I continue to hear Laquon Treadwell is in the mix for the New York Giants at the 10th pick. Though just speculation, I could see the Giants trading down, collecting extra picks then getting Treadwell in the middle of Round 1. The Tennessee Titans could be the perfect trading partner, as the team has a host of extra selections, thanks to the trade with the Los Angeles Rams, and have stated their desire to move back into the draft's top 10 selections. As I've previously stated, offensive tackle Jack Conklin is the name I hear most associated with the Titans.

Running back Brandon Wilds from South Carolina is a ball carrier the Giants have an interest in. Giant fans should keep his name in mind once the sixth round opens up.

Cleveland Browns

Back to Jack Conklin, I'm told he's being considered as an option for the Browns with the eighth pick. The team desperately needs a right tackle, and they met with Conklin extensively during Michigan State's pro day.

Edited by CampinWithTheOldestSpice
  • Upvote 1

Skip the Wentz/Goff debate.....if Jaylon was healthy the Smith/Jack debate would have been AMAZING.

That's a scary debate. I think the consensus would be Jack with both fully healthy but it would be incredibly tight.

I prefer Tunsil/Stanley :smug:

I feel like most people would side with Jaylon actually. Rumors on him are that he's a lock to go atleast at the end of the 3rd round. Could just be his team/agent but still. Rumors is rumors. Honestly that's too high for me still. Nerve issues are no joke. He's still using that brace. Some guys only get back to 80% of what they were with these issues. It's a crap shoot. Biiiiig gamble.

Edited by CampinWithTheOldestSpice

Chris Jones a good interior pass rusher? :wut:

Whoever wrote that is a smart guy cause he brought up the guy who is really the best interior rusher....Jonathan Bullard

------------

Jaylon over Jack all day and tomorrow

Edited by butta54

I thought Jack was a much more physical and powerful player than Smith, not to mention better versatility. Smith is great in his own right but I just don't see him having the same success as Jack. He's a smarter player, though.

interesting, most think he's stronger/more powerful than Jack but yeah he's been playing the position longer I'd imagine and Jack has had to play multiple positions so he's not gonna show as consistent LB positional awareness I'd imagine as Jaylon :yep:

Chris Jones a good interior pass rusher? :wut:

Whoever wrote that is a smart guy cause he brought up the guy who is really the best interior rusher....Jonathan Bullard

------------

Jaylon over Jack all day and tomorrow

It's Pauline's league sources he's leaking. Basically the only thing Pauline is decent at. :lol: