Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Titans' Trade v. Browns' Trade

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who did better?

I thought this would be an interesting discussion given the weird scenario where the top two teams traded down and then traded with each other, combining the trades here's what both teams gave up and got:

Titans gave up: 2016 picks: #1, #113 (4th Round), #177 (6th Round), 2017 2nd Round pick

Titans got: 2016 picks: #8, #43 (2nd Round), #45 (2nd Round), #176 (6th Round) Rams' 2017 1st Round pick and 2017 Third Round pick

Browns gave up: 2016 picks: #2, #176 (6th Round), 2017 4th Round pick

Browns got: 2016 picks: #15, #76 (3rd Round), #77 (3rd Round), #100 (4th Round), Eagles' 2017 1st Round pick, Titans' 2017 2nd Round pick, Eagles' 2018 2nd Round pick

Edited by oochymp

I'm going to say the Titans only because the Browns continue to trade down and around when they need a QB. Maybe they didn't like Goff and Wentz but still, they're always drafting the Tier 2 QBs and it's never panning out for them. IMO, they should've just stayed put and taken Wentz. The Browns have been right up there with the Patriots and Seahawks when it comes to trading down and stock piling picks the only difference is Cleveland has continued to do nothing with it and I don't expect it to change.

not sure if it changes your thoughts, but I did just realize I forgot to list our 2017 2nd Rounder in the Browns' haul

this is tough to judge, because I think we got better picks, but we also gave up more for them, I do think you see a bit of a difference in approach where the Titans have worked at getting better picks while the Browns have worked at getting more picks, I tend to lean toward the value picks over the volume picks, but I can see the appeal of both

I gotta go with Cleveland. I like what both teams did, but I wasn't a fan of Tennessee giving up a 2017 2nd-rounder to trade back up for Conklin.

• Upvote 1

another difference, potentially showing something about the front office approaches, is that while we got the better haul of picks this year, Cleveland did much better with future picks

Really don't like trading back up to get Conklin when Decker was going to be available at #15. Conklin is a better fit at LT. Just get Decker for RT and let Lewan man the left side. Also the popular belief was Tunsil is better anyways. I just don't like the pick. Browns actually doing some dirty shit for once. (Though Paxton as #15 would've been best move I think.)

I kind of feel like they had the framework for that trade up in place before the draft and then immediately got scared off by Tunsil, and believed his issues would send Conklin up someone elses board leaving them with nothing by pick 15.

yeah, I keep trying to convince myself otherwise, but I think the Browns did better just because of how little they've given up, I still think we did very well tho

Titans did fine, but like others, I was not a fan of them moving back up. I like Lynch, but I don't think he would have been the answer for Cleveland. Gotta ride with RG3, see how he does. Maybe get another QB here shortly just to start grooming for the worst and fill more pressing holes.

Everything I've read has suggested that Conklin would have went to the Giants at 10, never making it to the Titans at 15. Conklin has been their guy for a long time, and there's rumors from sources inside the organization that the Titans were turned off from Tunsil long before the draft(and obviously long before those videos/pictures emerged).

I'm not the happiest about giving up a 2nd next year in order to grab him, but we've got 2 firsts and 2 thirds next year so it is something we could afford. Now we'll see if Robinson's scouting prowess pays off and Conklin can allow us to have bookend tackles for the next decade, as we did with Roos/Stewart.

had to make one more change: I didn't realize the Browns had thrown in a 6th rounder this year, not sure that changes much in the balance