Sign in to follow this  
Cherry

Cherry Grades The First Round: Your Host Is A Dick

You are awesome Cherry, good work.

I 'liked' the Clark pick, but man, it was so Ted Thompson it almost hurt. Not flashy but an extremely versatile player who could line up at a number of spots and be a contributor from Day 1. The Packers are also getting very familiar with Jim Mora and the UCLA program.

Ha. I am not sure if you mis-typed or something but if Clark finished with 7 sacks his rookie year, that will prove Thompson correct. Even though the Packers let Jack and Ragland go.... so did 30 other teams, so that makes me feel better. I am looking to add a guy like Beniquez Brown, Kentrell Brothers, or Josh Forrest on Day 2.

You are awesome Cherry, good work.

I 'liked' the Clark pick, but man, it was so Ted Thompson it almost hurt. Not flashy but an extremely versatile player who could line up at a number of spots and be a contributor from Day 1. The Packers are also getting very familiar with Jim Mora and the UCLA program.

Ha. I am not sure if you mis-typed or something but if Clark finished with 7 sacks his rookie year, that will prove Thompson correct. Even though the Packers let Jack and Ragland go.... so did 30 other teams, so that makes me feel better. I am looking to add a guy like Beniquez Brown, Kentrell Brothers, or Josh Forrest on Day 2.

Thank you I try lol.

I liked the Clark pick if they were really that concerned with Jack and Ragland having health issues. But as you said it was the most Ted Thompson pick imaginable. Clark is a lot more versatile than a guy like Jarran Reed or Andrew Billings, and I think that's a large part of why he was the pick here. He's a solid pass rusher and can make splash plays here or there, but he's also a good anchor. I figured Jack or Ragland would be a lock though, and my stomach was thrown to shit after they took Clark. I really feel bad for the Packers. Failed to get Anthony or Perryman last year. Likely fail to get Jack or Ragland this year. Praying for a trade up.

Nope. 7 sacks. I think Clark will still be out there as a DT in non 3-4 packages and will be an almost every down type of guy. I think he's the new breed of 3-4 DT along with Nkemdiche. A guy who is explosive enough to do damage in the backfield rather than a big body who just blocks the inside.

Deion Jones might be a good fit at the back of the second. Really undeveloped talent right now but he is a great twitchy LB who can play solid in coverage and be a solid contributor in a 3-4 ILB position. If possible I'd say trade up for Jack though. That knee could be made of cardboard and I'd feel comfortable burning a high 2nd on him. His ceiling is limitless. The definition of a sideline to sideline LB.

Just gonna point out- as I seem to do every draft- that the Panthers haven't flat missed on a first round pick since the year 2000. (Jeff Otah in 08 had his career derailed due to injuries.) Media can say what they want, the Butler pick gives Gettleman leverage in talks with KK and Star. That's just how he works. Carolina will always take BPA, even we are all-but-loaded at the position.

Edited by Thanatos

Just gonna point out- as I seem to do every draft- that the Panthers haven't flat missed on a first round pick since the year 2000. (Jeff Otah in 08 had his career derailed due to injuries.) Media can say what they want, the Butler pick gives Gettleman leverage in talks with KK and Star. That's just how he works. Carolina will always take BPA, even we are all-but-loaded at the position.

History isn't taken into account when I grade these guys and project how their career pans out. As you said the media can say what they want but it does give Gentleman leverage. I think Short and Star stay together though, and Butler is the odd man out in this group. I'm not mad with the decision to go BPA, but I think Butler is far from the best option here. He wouldn't be a bad starter, but he isn't going to beat out Star or Short for the job in Carolina. If he does end up as the starting DT and one of the others signs a megadeal I think he will have an average career.

Edited by Chernobyl426

Joseph :rock:

Best first round safety selected since Earl Thomas, if you put Ramsey as a CB. Absolute fucking beast. :yep:

Thank you I try lol.

I liked the Clark pick if they were really that concerned with Jack and Ragland having health issues. But as you said it was the most Ted Thompson pick imaginable. Clark is a lot more versatile than a guy like Jarran Reed or Andrew Billings, and I think that's a large part of why he was the pick here. He's a solid pass rusher and can make splash plays here or there, but he's also a good anchor. I figured Jack or Ragland would be a lock though, and my stomach was thrown to shit after they took Clark. I really feel bad for the Packers. Failed to get Anthony or Perryman last year. Likely fail to get Jack or Ragland this year. Praying for a trade up.

Nope. 7 sacks. I think Clark will still be out there as a DT in non 3-4 packages and will be an almost every down type of guy. I think he's the new breed of 3-4 DT along with Nkemdiche. A guy who is explosive enough to do damage in the backfield rather than a big body who just blocks the inside.

Deion Jones might be a good fit at the back of the second. Really undeveloped talent right now but he is a great twitchy LB who can play solid in coverage and be a solid contributor in a 3-4 ILB position. If possible I'd say trade up for Jack though. That knee could be made of cardboard and I'd feel comfortable burning a high 2nd on him. His ceiling is limitless. The definition of a sideline to sideline LB.

I have actually heard a lot of rumbling about Deion Jones the last few days. I have no idea how the board will fall, but he is definitely a guy who I didn't pay much attention to before that I am now.

Cherruh, will you be doing the other rounds by any chance? Maybe a much more condensed version.

Cherruh, will you be doing the other rounds by any chance? Maybe a much more condensed version.

No but I will do any prospects that you guys want :yep:

• Upvote 1

No but I will do any prospects that you guys want :yep:

Well if you're taking suggestions, how about every Texans draft pick. :smug:

Or every Packers draft pick...

Or both. I'll have them done in half an hour to 45 minutes.

• Upvote 2

:Packers: Packers select #48. Jason Spriggs. OT. Indiana.

Cherry's Board Ranking: #82

Breakdown: I'm not the biggest believer in Spriggs, but I understand why there is a lot of buzz around him. He's a big-bodied guy who can wall off slower competition and keep guys locked up in the passing game. He has the prototype build for a LT, and really good measurables all-around. My biggest concerns with Spriggs come in the passing game. Spriggs is very unnatural with his feet, and when a guy dips around the edge with a lot of speed he struggles to keep up. He'll latch on too much as the guy tries to get around him and draw holding penalties. Unless a coach finds a way to tailor to him in the system I think he will be a bad match-up against a lot of the quicker guys off the snap.

Year One Projection: Beats out Bakhtiari for the starting LT job. In the 20-25 range at his position.

Career Projection: With Bakhtiari in the last year of his contract I think the Packers made a bold statement. They believe Jason Spriggs is going to be their starter for the next 4 years at the minimum. I think he will hover as an average to below average tackle for a majority of his contract, but will always be perceived as "ready to turn the corner". The issues against quick edge rushers will likely plague him for years to come, but I think he will do enough to get a second contract and hang around for a while in Green Bay.

:Texans: Texans select #50. Nick Martin. C. Notre Dame.

Cherry's Board Ranking: #55

Breakdown: This is right around where Nick Martin was supposed to go. He isn't as consistent or physically imposing as Ryan Kelly is, but Martin is a very solid run blocker with good technical skills. He is lower on the board mainly due to the limitations of the position he plays in, but I would not be shocked if he makes a go at a pro bowl or two. The Texans made a safe and smart pick here and got one of the best interior linemen in the class.

Year One Projection: Top 15 center. Potentially top 10. Will receive hype and comparison to his brother.

Career Projection: If the Texans are smart they plan to keep this guy for a long time as a key piece of their offense for the next decade. Martin could get chipped up a bit over time due to his lack of pure strength and athleticism but I think he will prevail above minor injuries. As I said, expect a pro bowl or two but nothing stunning. I think he will peak as a top 5 center in a few years and hang in the discussion for a couple years and then gradually decline.

:Texans:Texans select #85. Braxton Miller. WR. Ohio State.

Cherry's Board Ranking: #52

Breakdown: Miller is a playmaker through and through. He doesn't have the refined position attributes that you would get from a guy like Doctson or Coleman, but he is just as much an athlete as those guys. He's best when you get him out in the open field and let him put in his work as a RAC guy. I saw a comparison that I absolutely love with Miller, and it applies damn near perfect. Watching Miller cut is like watching a guy teleport two yards away from wherever you just saw him. He's going to break some ankles at the next level. Here's to hoping he finds a spot, whether that's as a pure WR or as a gadget guy. He's exciting to watch.

Year One Projection: 45 receptions for 652 yards and 5 TDs. 54 rushes for 231 yards and 5 TDs.

Career Projection: This is a rough one. It's tough to judge how Braxton's career will unfold given that we don't know the plan for him from a positional perspective. I think he will stick around for 5 or so years as a gadget player mixed with a slot guy who can break a game wide open with a big play. I don't think he will last at the next level due to the brutal way he uses his body. He likes to hit people. He likes to play recklessly and put himself in danger. He will be an astounding weapon while he lasts, but that blade will dull rather fast.

:Packers:Packers select #88. Kyler Fackrell. OLB. Utah State.

Cherry's Board Ranking: #87

Breakdown: Fackrell isn't an outstanding athlete or a guy that jumps off the tape. He is a by-the-book 3-4 OLB with the versatility to shift to 4-3 OLB in other defensive packages. He is a 3-down type of player but not one that will consistently wow you. If I'm the Packers I'm happy I got a guy who can do it all from the edge, even though he is not at the upper echelon of talented 3-4 OLBs in this draft.

Year One Projections: 18 tackles. 1 sack. 2 TFLs. (Depth chart has Matthews at OLB. If this changes Fackrell becomes a starter and I'll adjust this.)

Career Projection: Fackrell is an underwhelming prospect as a whole package. He lacks the talent to be a pro bowler, and I don't think he will be more than a stop-gap starter for teams around the league. He may get a shot and make good on it if Clay Matthews ends up moving back to ILB and staying there for most of the season, but I don't think it'd be enough to keep the job if the Packers bring in decent competition. If he stays on the Packers for a few years I could see him taking over the spot of Julius Peppers and having better job security, but I'm not sure if he will last that long in Green Bay.

• Upvote 1

Gracias Cherruh! You are a gentleman and a scholar.

It seems as though you're a big fan of the Texans' draft class so far. That's reassuring as I'm hyped myself for it, but I couldn't tell if I'm just being a prisoner of the moment.

:Giants:Giants select #40. Sterling Shepard. WR. Oklahoma.

Cherry's Board Ranking: #66

Breakdown: Shepard is underrated due to his small size and slot receiver frame. He is one of the better route runners in this class and will have a huge impact from day one either as a short #2 WR or as a #3 WR who mainly functions out of the slot. His speed and agility are going to be huge when he is cutting across the middle, and I wouldn't be shocked if he takes on a special teams role as well. Despite his small stature and physique he put up 20 reps at the combine on the bench press, which normally I wouldn't care too much about, but it's going to be huge in a potential special teams role.

Year One Projection: 61 receptions for 786 yards and 4 TDs. Special teams ace.

Career Projection: Shepard may not have the potential of a #1 WR like Doctson or Treadwell, but I am pretty confident in his ability to be a danger in the slot or even out wide as the #2 guy for the next several years. He isn't ever going to produce eye-popping numbers like an Antonio Brown type who comes with a similar frame and type of style but Eli will enjoy his new weapon likely until the day he hangs up his cleats.

:Giants:Giants select #71. Darian Thompson. S. Boise State.

Cherry's Board Ranking: #25

Breakdown: I have Thompson as the #2 safety on my board if you count Ramsey as a CB. While I'm absolutely in love with Bell and Cash, I can't deny pro readiness that seems to come off of Thompson. He isn't as flashy as Karl Joseph in terms of big tackles but he is a tough center fielder who can hang back in coverage and protect from the deep ball or come up to take a guy down when he has to. He's a solid tackler with a good fundamental understanding of angles and playing the ball properly. I wouldn't be shocked if Thompson is looked at a few years from now as one of the biggest sleepers from day two that did pan out.

Year One Projection: 81 tackles. 5 INTs. 2 FFs. Top 20 safety.

Career Projection: Barring a huge mistake by the Giants GM, Thompson will be in the back end of the defense for the next six or seven years. He's not a playmaker like Joseph or as athletically gifted a guy as Ramsey, but he will pan out as one of the better picks in this draft. I wouldn't be shocked if he makes a couple pro bowls in his prime years. He should take over as a day one starter and just keep building on that. Think Adrian Wilson as a career comparison long term.

• Upvote 2

Gracias Cherruh! You are a gentleman and a scholar.

It seems as though you're a big fan of the Texans' draft class so far. That's reassuring as I'm hyped myself for it, but I couldn't tell if I'm just being a prisoner of the moment.

I'm mixed on the Braxton pick but I don't think there were better options if you guys were looking for a wide receiver. Pharoh Cooper is really similar to Will Fuller and I don't think he would've been able to come in as a diverse and moldable player like Braxton will be coming in as. I'm a huge fan of the Fuller pick and the Martin pick though. Having Treadwell or Doctson or Thomas is essentially having two Hopkins. I don't think getting two big guys is the best answer. Fuller and Braxton are a lot tougher to gameplan for than Hopkins and Hopkins Jr. Fuller can come into the slot and shoot over the top right down the middle or do a lot of tricky underneath routes that corners will struggle to catch up on. Braxton will be able to get a lot more looks on screens and short passes that allow him to get into open grass. Once you get Braxton the ball in space he will create for himself.

I'll gladly read anything you have to say about the Vikings picks.

Also, quick question on Lynch. God given abilities aside, it seems his troubles will come from adjusting to an NFL offense and everything that comes with it (progressions, line calls, etc.). Where do you find the confidence to think he'll be a day one starter when Memphis did not prepare him for the transition?

I'll gladly read anything you have to say about the Vikings picks.

Also, quick question on Lynch. God given abilities aside, it seems his troubles will come from adjusting to an NFL offense and everything that comes with it (progressions, line calls, etc.). Where do you find the confidence to think he'll be a day one starter when Memphis did not prepare him for the transition?

I think he shows the traits you want to transition day one, even if he isn't a highly refined QB mentally yet. He can make two or three reads on each play. He isn't a turnover prone guy. If the pass isn't there he'll take off and run or go for a safe checkdown. The Broncos are going to use a lot of over the top streaks and posts that will help to open up short passes underneath for Pax. I just think Pax is farther ahead as a pro than many people give him credit for. Worst case scenario he's better than the guy they won it all last year with. Best case scenario he is a top 5 QB as a rookie.

I hope you're right because I love it when great players don't come from expected places.

:Giants: Giants select #109. BJ Goodson. LB. Clemson.

Cherry's Board Ranking: N/A (7th rounder/UDFA)

Breakdown: An awkward and unathletic guy who has way too much weight on his frame to move around in space effectively, Goodson projects solely as a 4-3 MLB who plays two downs as a potential run stuffer then comes off the field in pass situations. He lacks the agility to get around blocks and the strength to get through them. He has trouble detaching and grabbing a player as they come by him.

Year One Projection: 6 tackles. Backup or third string MLB behind Keenan Robinson.

Career Projection: A career depth player with an occasional spot start once or twice a year due to injuries, Goodson shouldn't last more than a few years in the NFL. He lacks the aggression in the run game that you want from a MLB and can't translate his heavy frame into dominance on the field. Expect to get 100 to 150 tackles out of this guy before he disappears.

:Texans:Texans select #119. Tyler Ervin. RB. San Jose State.

Cherry's Board Ranking: N/A (Late 4th/Early 5th)

Breakdown: I liked a lot of what I saw in Ervin as a pure runner. He's not a pass protector in the slightest and he struggles when he isn't given good blocking, but the man has some of the best cuts in this class. He doesn't do jump cuts like a Perkins type. He just plants his foot and slashes with ease. He also has some ridiculous turbo when he gets to the next level and will easily outrun a defense if he gets to accelerate more than 15 yards down the field. My biggest concern other than his poor pass protection is his size. He's 5'10" and 190 but plays like he is 5'8" and 175. A light shoulder hit from weak competition looked like it would knock him out of his cleats, so I'm concerned about his body holding up at the next level taking such big hits.

Year One Projection: 93 rushes for 538 yards and 3 TDs. Special teams guy. Likely kick returner.

Career Projection: I like the idea of Ervin hanging around for a few years as a very special change-of-pace back. He has the vision and acceleration of a guy you like for the role. But he is way too small to hang with NFL competition and not take severe damage. I think he will wear his body down by year 4 and either retire or become a sparsely used back on another team.

:Packers:Packers select #131. Blake Martinez. LB. Stanford.

Cherry's Board Ranking: N/A (6th rounder)

Breakdown: A smart cerebral player with good coverage knowledge and understanding of angles, Martinez is mostly maxed out from a physical standpoint. Martinez has a great motor and doesn't give up on plays, and is a solid downhill tackler. My biggest issue is he isn't as disruptive or explosive as you'd like for a guy who is seen as a thumper at ILB. He's jittery in a bad way and likes to jump around before coming in to make a play. He is too slow to play consistent coverage against top competition, and will likely be put in a very limited role on third downs.

Year One Stats: Starter over Bradford & Barrington. 73 tackles. 1 FF. Middle to low end starter at ILB.

Career Projection: A stop gap starter with potential to stay in the league for more than one contract to due football IQ, Martinez will never be anything special, but he will be a consistent #2 guy beside whoever the Packers decide to roll out as their #1 ILB. Solid pick for a day 3 guy who will be a starter.

I'm gonna take a nap and refresh my mind after staring at the TV for 7 hours straight. I'll get the rest of them up later on tonight.

Edited by Chernobyl426

Do a few UDFA too! (Not all of them, just any potential names that stick out :p)

giphy.gif

Good work Cheryl

I fully agree in regards to Apple, I feel that he was a panic pick because both Conklin and Floyd came off the board way sooner than the Giants thought due to the Tunsil sabotage. I know they picked Apple over Hargreaves due to the fact that of red flags bullshit. I do think that both WJ3 and Burns are more complete and better prospects than Apple.

I do like the Shepard and Thompson picks especially Thompson who will be a a day one start and should work really well with Landon Collins. Shepard will be a nice slot receiver in my opinion giving Eli an extra option along with Harris that should take some pressure off OBJ. However I feel that it would have been better to have drafted a WR first in this case and then pick up a CB in the second.

I also like Goodsen, he should come in instantly and help plug holes in the run defence, however again overall I would have liked Darron Lee in the first as I feel that was our biggest need as it has gone fairly unaddressed.