Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Cardinals Hire Byron Leftwich to Mentor QBs

Last July, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians made Jen Welter the first female assistant coach in NFL history.

This offseason, Arians has a new helper in town: Byron Leftwich.

The former Jaguars, Falcons, Bucs and Steelers signal-caller is working alongside quarterbacks coach Freddie Kitchens to help tutor the team's collection of passers.

Hired as a coaching intern, Leftwich will be with the team throughout the summer -- and maybe longer.

"After that, we'll see," Arians said, per the team's official website. "Hopefully I can keep him all year. I think he's got a great, bright future in coaching."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000660808/article/cardinals-hire-byron-leftwich-to-help-tutor-qbs?campaign=fb-nf-sf25920731-sf25920731

Regardless of the opinion on Byron Leftwich, I wish more coaches would do this coaching intern kinda thing. It's pretty cool, and even if it doesn't lead to anything else, presents itself as a great opportunity.

• Upvote 2

That's my boy! :wub:

Edited by Vin

Cardinals promoted QBs coach Byron Leftwich to offensive coordinator.

It's been a fast rise for Leftwich, who was last a player in 2012. He began his coaching career under ex-Cardinals coach Bruce Arians and was a holdover for new coach Steve Wilks. With OC Mike McCoy getting fired after Thursday night's Week 7 loss to the Broncos, Leftwich now gets his time to put his mark on the offense. First order of business should be getting David Johnson the ball in space. Leftwich played and learned under the aggressive Arians. It's a no-risk move.

jeremiah_johnson_nodding-Robert-Redford.

New Cardinals OC Byron Leftwich wants to emulate ex-coach Bruce Arians' usage of David Johnson.

"Everything," was Leftwich's response when asked what he wanted to replicate from Arians' Johnson approach. "I sat shoulder to shoulder with B.A. every day I was here. There have been a lot of long nights sitting next to him, us nodding off together." That means no more slamming Johnson between the tackles every play and much more extensive usage as a receiver/space back. That's what made Johnson a superstar in 2016. The lack of talent around Johnson remains a major concern, but his 2018 fantasy arrow is pointed back upward.

New Cardinals OC Byron Leftwich wants to get Larry Fitzgerald more involved.

"The plays are still there in him," Leftwich said. "I don’t think he’s dead yet." Although it included just 79 yards, Fitzgerald did post his best two-game stretch before the Cardinals' post-Thursday Night Football mini bye. Leftwich replacing Mike McCoy is a classic "it could not get any worse" situation. Leftwich could end up reviving Fitz, but he's just a low-end WR4 for Week 8.

Edited by Vin