Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Panthers release Boykin

CHARLOTTE – The Panthers have signed six tryout players who participated in the team’s rookie minicamp. Their names are listed below.
RB Jalen Simmons
WR Miles Shuler
TE Braxton Deaver
OT Jordan Rigsbee
LB Jared Barber
CB Shaquille Richardson
Carolina entered the rookie minicamp with five available roster spots. To make room for the six signings, the team parted ways with three players – cornerback Brandon Boykin, cornerback Ras-I Dowling and wide receiver Jenson Stoshak.

crazy thing is the article goes on to say that the Panthers currently have 88 players on their roster even though the roster limit is 90, so they didn't have to cut all three of those players to get under the roster limit but still did :think:

Welp, now I'm wondering what the fuck is wrong with him that we don't know about. Does he want to start so badly that he's a vile locker room presence?

The Steelers traded a conditional pick that would've been a 4th had he played more than 60% of the team's snaps, but ended up a 5th. He wasn't used until the season's end and suddenly he was getting 2nd most snaps at CB after Gay, including the playoffs. Then, they release him and the Panthers scoop him up, only to release him before minicamp.

He's a great corner, but teams don't seem willing to move him out of the slot and he's been clear that's not where he wants to be.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Yeah I'm confused on this one.

Reading between the lines, I agree with Zack. Sounds like Boykin won't accept his role. Elite slot corners are few and far between. He should be proud to play at such a high level there. I'm hoping Minnesota can keep Munnerlyn there this year and hopefully Dallas can leave Scandrick inside.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand players who won't accept their role to the point where it costs them a job, reminds me of that kid (I want to say Dri Archer?) who was released last year and turned down practice squad offers, given the number of people who would kill to have the 53rd spot on any NFL team players should be grateful for whatever role they can scratch out on an NFL team, and the way the NFL is now and is headed a slot corner is far from a minor role

• Upvote 1

I don't understand players who won't accept their role to the point where it costs them a job, reminds me of that kid (I want to say Dri Archer?) who was released last year and turned down practice squad offers, given the number of people who would kill to have the 53rd spot on any NFL team players should be grateful for whatever role they can scratch out on an NFL team, and the way the NFL is now and is headed a slot corner is far from a minor role

Yeah, Dri Archer, the Razor-lookin' toothpick that the Steelers burned a fucking 3rd on like geniuses.

• Upvote 1

Dmac's boy just didn't land on proper team. :smug:

The Iowa Barnstormers? :shrug:

tumblr_inline_nrhd31spaH1s0u9u5_500.gif

Dri Archer is actually bigger than me. Somehow.

• Upvote 1

I know Boykin is bigger news but man I really thought Ras-I Dowling would be good, sucks that it seems like injuries derailed his career.

No wonder he wasn't objecting too much when people were questioning his character. He just didn't want anybody to find out about this.

So he's pretty much fucked, isn't he?