Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Who wins the NFC South?

Sean got this going in the NFC East, but why not get a thread for every division? Player movement is pretty much done and minicamps are getting started, so this seems like a good time to get the discussion going

Before the Panther's three-peat and counting this division had never seen a back-to-back champion, can anyone stop them from stretching to four?

No. Carolina wins the South again easily, unless some bad injuries or something happens.

The Bucs will challenge for the title next year, but not this one, the Saints are still garbage on defense, and Brees is one year older and the Falcons have no pass attack outside of Julio Jones. Mohamed Sanu drops more balls than Ted Ginn. Which is not an easy thing to do. Oh and the Falcons O-line is still going to get eaten alive.

The only way I see Carolina losing this is if they do terrible outside the division. They will be 5-1 or 6-0 in it, and that's hard to lose your division with that type of division record, (not impossible, see Oakland, 6-0 in the AFC West, 8-8 overall a few years back).

Edited by Thanatos

Something bad happens.

:Bucs: Life

I don't see the Panthers dominating like before but as Than said they should be 4-2 in division at absolute absolute worst. All they gotta do outside of division is go 5-5 or so and they should win it. Bucs are dangerous but the talent on that team is patchwork as fuck.

I think we're going to find out that Josh Norman was overrated. Carolina managed to hold onto their true core pieces on defense and Add Calvin Johnson and essentially Kelvin Benjamin. Carolina's passing attack is going to bully every team in the league. There's just way too many miss matches.

I think we're going to find out that Josh Norman was overrated. Carolina managed to hold onto their true core pieces on defense and Add Calvin Johnson and essentially Kelvin Benjamin. Carolina's passing attack is going to bully every team in the league. There's just way too many miss matches.

How much pot did you smoke to come up with this fantasy scenario?

• Upvote 1

How much pot did you smoke to come up with this fantasy scenario?

I believe he is comparing Kelvin Benjamin to Calvin Johnson.

Is there any answer but Carolina? Tampa Bay should be in the hunt for an 8-8 to 10-6 season but they could easily fall victim to a sophomore slump for Jameis. Atlanta has potential but they always find a way to disappoint. lolNewOrleans

Well you know me. I'm dat boi. (not dat boi, not rly.)

Hope you stick around though we need more panthers deflaters. :D

• Upvote 1

Whatever the new guy is smoking, I want some.

Welcome to the boards, mate.

Edited by Thanatos

The only way this division is close is if Cam Newton gets injured. Otherwise, it's over for everybody else.

Carolina was 7-8-1 two years ago and he did well. They are inconsistent even if he is good

Actually you're just confirming what Bware just said. Cam was hurt in preseason that year and played with a busted back, and then on top of that he was in a car accident where his car rolled over. He missed two games due to injury and was playing hurt the entire season. And he wasn't that good that year, that was his worst year as a pro.

Your statement is somewhat true for the first two years of Cam's tenure as a pro, where he was pretty damn good for a rookie and second year QB- stats wise- but overall the team was only 11-21. He did turn the ball over quite a bit during those two years though.

In 2014, though, Carolina started 3-8-1 before winning the last four straight and beating the QB-less Cards in the playoffs before losing to Seattle. They swapped out their secondary to younger, faster guys and it had results. Since that 3-8-1 start in 2014 the Panthers are 22-3.

I like how the Panthers detractors always point to that season. Why not go back one more? Oh look, they were 12-4. Maybe its more likely the 7-8-1 season was the anomaly due to injuries and other factors.

How exactly are the Saints or Falcons going to catch them? New Orleans has no defense. The guy they drafted to play the center of the defensive line just got taken out for probably the whole season due to injury. Brees can only do so much. The Falcons? Because they got Sanu? I just don't see it. Matt Ryan has one of the top 3 WRs in the league and he's still not good enough to win enough games.

Btw, the second-best team in the South is the Bucs. If Winston takes a giant leap forward instead of just a step as I expect him to, they could challenge the Panthers.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

Why will the Saints and Falcons defenses be better? You can't just say that, follow up with why you think that. The fact that you think the Colts are the best team in the AFC South is funny. The fact that you include Carolina with the NFCS and not Indy with the AFCS is just hilarious. Carolina is a much better team than the Colts. You can argue SoS all you want, we wiped the fucking floor with the Seahawks and the Cardinals. If our SoS was so weak, why did we dominate the two best teams in the NFC besides us?

Last five years. I counter with 3 straight division titles. The Hawks started their run right after winning the NFC West at 7-9.

They caught every break imaginable? Lmao. Do those breaks include losing our #2, 3 and 4 corners throughout the season and losing our #1 WR before the season even starts? I love how GB is going to get Jordy back and everyone is clamoring about how great A-Rod is going to do, yet Cam is getting KB back and lots of people are claiming major regression. You in particular are claiming Cam is going to regress by "throwing INTs all over" when he's getting his best WR back. Why would he do this? He's been on a steady growth as far as decision making goes for his entire career, why would it suddenly reverse?

"The cornerbacks are going to get beat left and right." Counter: 2013. Our starting corners were Captain Munnerlyn and Melvin White. Captain is still in the league, but Melvin, I think, is out of it. Neither were very good. The defense was a top-10 unit. That's because Carolina's systems only requires decent corners, not great ones. If we get a great corner, so be it and that's awesome, but to act like the defense is going to get destroyed because we have rookie corners is just silly, as is prejudging how good rookie corners are going to be based on some experts opinion of said people before they play a snap in the NFL. Sidenote: I refer you to this topic, which shows the Panthers are the second best team in the league in getting quality play out of their rookie corners.

"Cam gets MVP awards when the team sucks?" Are you shitting me right now? 15-1 record is something that had been done a very few times before. Nobody goes 15-1 and sucks. We led the league in scoring with Ted fucking Ginn as the #1 WR.

As far as making a SB appearance, it would be very tough to repeat as NFC Champions. No SB loser has returned to the SB the following year since the Fins in the 70s, I think. So saying they won't be making a SB appearance this year is just going with the odds. If by this you are claiming they won't be a good team, I question your judgement. There are good teams that don't make the SB every year.

"Even if there's a chance in heck they get a wildcard." Lmao.

Welcome to TGP bud. Might wanna cut back on the bullshit. :D

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

so you are admitting they arent a good team because it really isnt hard to get back there for Pats and the Steelers and the Colts,Broncos,seattle etc lol

you cant have it both ways. You cant say they have chance and how dare I say they wont and then say,well odds are they wont. Pick a side ! :laugh:

No team has returned to the Super Bowl the year after losing it since the 1970s. Not the Patriots, the Seahawks, the Colts, the Broncos or the Steelers. None. Nada. Zip. So no, I'm admitting nothing, you just don't know how to read.

The rest of your post is just as dumb and I'm tired of responding to the shit you throw up here. Seriously, go back to the NFL boards.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Picking teams solely on notoriety alone over actual talent and ability is the dumbest shit I've heard in all my time at TGP. You've watched football longer than I've existed. You'd think you'd learn some common sense shit by now.

• Upvote 1

When was the last time the Steelers made a decent playoff run? They haven't seen the conference championship game in like 6 years. Ravens are hit or miss, but they haven't made conference championship since they won SB. Colts made it but got absolutely blown to pieces. Colts are the worst team in the AFC South when it comes to all-around talent. That team is Luck, TY, and Vontae Davis. They've bullied a shit division for years and that division is finally catching up.

If you believe Panthers are a fluke, okay, but teams don't win because they're "that team". They win because they have talent and good management. When your only argument is to say "The Panthers aren't good because they're the Panthers" you have no argument.

• Upvote 1

I can cherrypick instances of other teams making X number of playoffs or SBs in a certain amount of time too. Each is meaningless.

How many players are on the roster of the Steelers that have been there since 2005? How many coaches even? It's a vastly different team from the one that used to beat teams to hell and back with a stout defense. History does not dictate a team in the present. The Bengals aren't going to lose in a wildcard game because that's just how it goes. They're going to lose in a wildcard game because they actively throw the game away with terrible mental mistakes and poor performance under the lights. The Steelers aren't going to make the playoffs because they consistently get there. They're going to make the playoffs because of Big Ben being a top 5 QB, Bell being a top 3 RB, and Antonio Brown being arguably the best receiver in the league.

Since 2010? It's 2016. WHO ON THE COLTS AND TEXANS HAS BEEN THERE SINCE 2010?

Texans have had maybe Kareem Jackson that long? Brian Cushing? Colts have had who? MAYBE rookie Anthony Castonzo? Rookie Vontae Davis? These teams and their coaching staffs are WILDLY different.

The Ravens have missed the playoffs twice since their SB run IIRC. Also got bounced by Pats in divisional when they did make it. They're a talent-weak team that is getting kicked around by trash squads lately. They're not good because, "Oh they're the Ravens that's how it goes."

Then what you're saying is Carolina is a fluke.

lol what the hell does that have to do with anything? it doesnt detract or counter anything I said.

in other words-they get there (playoffs) no matter who plays for them because he's barely been there compared to the entire Steelers history.

another thoroughly confused thought by you.

You prove my point again. It doesnt matter who's there (Colts),they keep winning.

theyve been to the playoffs every year since 2008,except for 2 years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Baltimore_Ravens_seasons

again, all you are doing is proving me correct.

again proving my point that both those teams have always made the playoffs.

they had a bad year last year due to injuries, so what?

that was one year. And they werent even trashed. They lost their games by 7 or less except for 2 blowouts.

You're obviously thoroughly confused and dont even know whats being talked about.

Youre just stabbing at stuff.

It doesn't? How about the fact it's an entirely different fucking roster and therefore an entirely different team? Holy shit how fucking thick are you man? At this point I'm convinced you're just fucking trolling.

Again, the team roster doesn't matter, just the team itself? That's the dumbest shit I've heard in years.

Keep winning? Keep fucking winning? The AFC South was a fucking dumpster fire last year, and outside of Luck cruising to 11-5 against a trash schedule and division only to get eaten alive in the AFC Championship game, the entire division has been shit for years. You might as well say, "There has never been a year where a team from the AFC South has not made the playoffs."

There is a vast difference between the Ravens in 2008, and the Ravens post-SB. Again, very different rosters. The current Ravens have continued to suck for a few years.

The Pats have been consistently good, but have had the best coach ever in Belichick. The Ravens have been shit for a couple years now.

Do you understand how bad that fucking team is? It's literally Luck. That's it. That's all Indy has. They're rolling out UDFA level talent at many positions. The Jags are going to devour them.

• Upvote 1

Got to go With Carolina they got a good defense despite realising Josh Norman, and Newton has his go to guy back

Why will the Saints and Falcons defenses be better? You can't just say that, follow up with why you think that. The fact that you think the Colts are the best team in the AFC South is funny. The fact that you include Carolina with the NFCS and not Indy with the AFCS is just hilarious. Carolina is a much better team than the Colts. You can argue SoS all you want, we wiped the fucking floor with the Seahawks and the Cardinals. If our SoS was so weak, why did we dominate the two best teams in the NFC besides us?

Last five years. I counter with 3 straight division titles. The Hawks started their run right after winning the NFC West at 7-9.

They caught every break imaginable? Lmao. Do those breaks include losing our #2, 3 and 4 corners throughout the season and losing our #1 WR before the season even starts? I love how GB is going to get Jordy back and everyone is clamoring about how great A-Rod is going to do, yet Cam is getting KB back and lots of people are claiming major regression. You in particular are claiming Cam is going to regress by "throwing INTs all over" when he's getting his best WR back. Why would he do this? He's been on a steady growth as far as decision making goes for his entire career, why would it suddenly reverse?

"The cornerbacks are going to get beat left and right." Counter: 2013. Our starting corners were Captain Munnerlyn and Melvin White. Captain is still in the league, but Melvin, I think, is out of it. Neither were very good. The defense was a top-10 unit. That's because Carolina's systems only requires decent corners, not great ones. If we get a great corner, so be it and that's awesome, but to act like the defense is going to get destroyed because we have rookie corners is just silly, as is prejudging how good rookie corners are going to be based on some experts opinion of said people before they play a snap in the NFL. Sidenote: I refer you to this topic, which shows the Panthers are the second best team in the league in getting quality play out of their rookie corners.

"Cam gets MVP awards when the team sucks?" Are you shitting me right now? 15-1 record is something that had been done a very few times before. Nobody goes 15-1 and sucks. We led the league in scoring with Ted fucking Ginn as the #1 WR.

As far as making a SB appearance, it would be very tough to repeat as NFC Champions. No SB loser has returned to the SB the following year since the Fins in the 70s, I think. So saying they won't be making a SB appearance this year is just going with the odds. If by this you are claiming they won't be a good team, I question your judgement. There are good teams that don't make the SB every year.

"Even if there's a chance in heck they get a wildcard." Lmao.

Welcome to TGP bud. Might wanna cut back on the bullshit. :D

Bills lost 4 Superbowls in a Row that was early 90's

I stand corrected. I think I got my stat confused with "No team has returned to and WON the Superbowl since the Fins in the '70s."