Sign in to follow this  
Cherry

Cincinnati Zoo Shoots Gorilla to Protect Child After Falling in Enclosure; Sparks Outrage

Child cuz 7 billion people and 100 million gorilla

Probably gorilla because I hate kids (unless I'm related to them and even that is iffy)

No one had gotten into the exhibit in 38 years. It wasn't "so easy" to get into.

The more I think about this the less I buy this excuse. Past results are not a perfect predictor and there are a lot of factors that could have played into the fact that this fault in the security of the exhibit wasn't exposed until now. Just because there haven't been incidents doesn't excuse the zoo from their constant responsibility to ensure that they have the best mechanisms in place to ensure the safety of their animals and visitors.

I don't know anything about the security of that zoo, but the child should never have had the chance to test it out. End of story.

​The only reason I'm not totally enraged over this is because the human in danger was a young child. If it was a grown adult that fell into the cage and they shot the gorilla to save him, I would be livid.

The more I think about this the less I buy this excuse. Past results are not a perfect predictor and there are a lot of factors that could have played into the fact that this fault in the security of the exhibit wasn't exposed until now. Just because there haven't been incidents doesn't excuse the zoo from their constant responsibility to ensure that they have the best mechanisms in place to ensure the safety of their animals and visitors.

Two months prior to this incident a federal inspection had found nothing wrong with the enclosure.

I don't know anything about the security of that zoo, but the child should never have had the chance to test it out. End of story.

​The only reason I'm not totally enraged over this is because the human in danger was a young child. If it was a grown adult that fell into the cage and they shot the gorilla to save him, I would be livid.

They wouldn't have had time unless they acted very quickly. Harambe likely would have flat out killed an unfamiliar grown adult.

Edited by Thanatos

Two months prior to this incident a federal inspection had found nothing wrong with the enclosure.

well that's a substantially different argument than "nothing has happened before" so point taken, I should also add that I really haven't read much about it, so I'm going to go do that before I post any more in this thread

You're probably right Than, but I'd still be pissed if they shot him. A grown man doing something that stupid honestly gets what he deserves. This is just a terrible situation and it sucks to see an innocent life end over someone's stupidity. But life goes on, and not just human life.

You're probably right Than, but I'd still be pissed if they shot him. A grown man doing something that stupid honestly gets what he deserves. This is just a terrible situation and it sucks to see an innocent life end over someone's stupidity. But life goes on, and not just human life.

That's a big difference to me. A grown man knows what he is doing and he takes responsibility for the consequences.

Just need to watch the first 3 1/2 minutes for the story regarding the gorilla. Pretty much nails my perspective. Stupid lady, lmao.

The people valuing the gorilla over the kid in the first place are fucking stupid because if you really gave a shit about the gorilla you'd be incensed that we hold gorillas captive in zoos in the first place.

In that situation kill the gorilla every time.

• Upvote 1

The people valuing the gorilla over the kid in the first place are fucking stupid because if you really gave a shit about the gorilla you'd be incensed that we hold gorillas captive in zoos in the first place.

In that situation kill the gorilla every time.

For the vast majority of people, I don't think it is a matter of valuing the gorilla's life over the kid. It's a more a matter of responsibility and not putting yourself in the situations in which those decisions have to be made (or in this case, watching your kid so that those decisions don't need to be made).

I said it from my very first post, I agree with the decision the zoo made... but it should never have happened that way to begin with. It's good that we have plans of action in place for when this stuff does happen, but best case scenario is that it isn't needed or utilized.

For the vast majority of people, I don't think it is a matter of valuing the gorilla's life over the kid. It's a more a matter of responsibility and not putting yourself in the situations in which those decisions have to be made (or in this case, watching your kid so that those decisions don't need to be made).

I said it from my very first post, I agree with the decision the zoo made... but it should never have happened that way to begin with. It's good that we have plans of action in place for when this stuff does happen, but best case scenario is that it isn't needed or utilized.

I don't think anyone is saying this is best case scenario but what happened happened. I would much rather people argue about killing an enslaved gorilla (not many people arguing about us holding gorillas captive here by the way) than arguing about how a gorilla killed a kid and what could have been done to prevent it.

And there's a lot of blame on the mom in this situation, and I do somewhat it. You should be watching your kid(s). But there were more than one occasion where my parents lost track of me at some point for a second and I wandered off where something bad for a few seconds could happen and I don't consider that I have bad parents because of that. It happens....to good parents and bad parents alike. If we labeled anyone who lost their kid at the fair or grocery store or even around the house a bad parent we might not have ANY good parents.

Now, that being said you should know the habit of your kid and if he/she seems to be very adventurous you should probably be constantly on them at a place like the zoo where something like this could happen. I'm not saying she is a good parent but god damn we as a society are so quick to judge.

Edited by JetsFan4Life
  • Upvote 1

The issue is we have witnesses and video that show the kid trying to get inside multiple times and yelling that he wanted to get into the enclosure and yet precautions were not taken by the parents, (note the father was there as well, something the media seems to have ignored).