Sign in to follow this  
Cherry

Combat Sports Thread

Thought about doing a solely MMA thread but due to the forums having several boxing fans I decided to just go with an all-around combat sports thread. Feel free to use this for all boxing talk.

Everything beyond this point is MMA.

To read up the UFC and how it came to fruition take a look at this link.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ufc.htm

To simplify it; two guys are put in a cage (Octagon) and they fight until someone wins via finish (Referee stoppage/Doctor stoppage) or decision. Non-main event and non-title bouts last 3 rounds with 5 minutes in each round. All main event and title bouts last 5 rounds with 5 minutes in each round. Three judges score the bout with the winner of each round getting 10 points. The loser gets 9 or less depending on how badly they lost the round.

There a 5 ways for a fight to end before the time limit is reached.

Knockout - A fighter is knocked unconscious.

Submission - A fighter is held in a choke or has some part of their body contorted until they have no choice but to tap out of the match or face severe pain or unconsciousness.

Technical Knockout - The referee stops the fight because a fighter is no longer intelligently defending him/herself.

Doctor/Referee Stoppage - A doctor or referee believes a fighter is injured in a manner that puts their long term health or current well-being at risk. These are typical caused by broken bones or incredibly large gashes.

Forfeit - Incredibly rare. A fighter or his corner essentially "throw in the towel" because they believe a fighter will not make it another round in a healthy state.

Rules: While the UFC leans close to a "No Holds Barred" fight it does have a few things off limits.

-Holding or grabbing the fence

-Holding opponents shorts or gloves

-Butting with the head

-Biting or spitting at an opponent

-Hair pulling

-Fish-hooking

-Intentionally placing a finger into any orifice, or into any cut or laceration of an opponent

-Eye gouging of any kind

-Groin attacks of any kind

-Downward pointing of elbow strikes (see 12-6 elbow)

-Small joint manipulation

-Strikes to the spine or back of the head (see Rabbit punch)

-Heel kicks to the kidney

-Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea

-Clawing, pinching, twisting the flesh or grabbing the clavicle

-Kicking the head of a grounded opponent (see Soccer kick)

-Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent

Stomping on a grounded fighter

-The use of abusive language in fighting area

-Any unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to opponent

-Attacking an opponent during a break

-Attacking an opponent who is under the care of the referee

-Timidity (avoiding contact, consistent dropping of mouthpiece, or faking an injury)

-Interference from a mixed martial artist's cornerman

-Throwing an opponent out of the ring or caged area

-Flagrant disregard of the referees instructions

-Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his or her head or neck (see Piledriver)

-Attacking an opponent after the bell has sounded the end of the period of unarmed combat

Weight Classes

Strawweight (women) - up to 115 lbs

Flyweight (men) up to 125 lbs (56.7 kg).

Bantamweight (men/women) between 125 and 135 lbs (56.7 kg and 61.2 kg).

Featherweight (men) between 135 and 145 lbs (61.2 kg and 65.7 kg).

Lightweight (men) between 145 and 155 lbs (65.7 kg and 70.3 kg).

Welterweight (men) between 155 and 170 lbs (70.3 kg and 77.1 kg).

Middleweight (men) between 170 and 185 lbs (77.1 kg and 83.9 kg).

Light Heavyweight (men) between 185 and 205 lbs (83.9 kg and 92.9 kg).

Heavyweight (men) between 205 and 265 lbs (92.9 kg and 120.2 kg).

Current UFC champions

Strawweight (Female): Joanna Jedrzejczyk

JEDRZEJCZYK_JOANNA_BELT.png

Won title from Carla Esparza. Decorated and undefeated former Muay Thai champion. Coaching ultimate fighter this season. Defeated Claudia Gadelha, and is now set to face Karolina Kowalkiewicz at UFC 205.

Flyweight: Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson

JOHNSON_DEMETRIOUS.png

Came to UFC from WEC, a smaller organization that focused on lighter fighters. Competed at a high level at bantamweight, but lost title shot to Dominick Cruz. When the UFC opened the new flyweight division and he signed on to fight in a 4-man "tournament" for the inaugural championship belt. Hasn't lost since joining the division, and has cleared out competition. Considered by some to be the best fighter in MMA right now due to technical abilities and robotic ability to adapt and apply his gameplan. Pulled out of fight with Wilson Reis at UFC 201, but will face the winner of the next Ultimate Fighter.

Bantamweight (Female): Amanda Nunes

NUNES_AMANDA_BELT.png

Nunes has torn through the division lately, with a majority of her wins coming by finishes. Nunes has solid BJJ and absolutely monstrous power for a 135-pound woman. She will have to prove herself against Holly Holm or Ronda Rousey upon their return, but her odds are better than many would like to think. Rumored to face Ronda Rousey at UFC 207.

Bantamweight: Dominick "The Dominator" Cruz

CRUZ_DOMINICK_02.png

After spending nearly 5 years out of the fight game with only one fight throughout the span of years, Cruz lost a large amount of time off his prime. He's had 4 huge injuries that had relegated him to an analyst role in the sport until he recently got healthy and took the title from champion TJ Dillashaw. Dominated Urijah Faber in their rubber match at UFC 199.

Featherweight: "The Notorious" Conor McGregor

MCGREGOR_CONOR.png

Interim Champ: Jose Aldo

ALDO_JOSE.png

Bursting onto the scene with brutal knockouts and an entertaining style of fighting, McGregor cemented himself as the sports biggest star with a 13 second knockout of long time champion Jose Aldo, who had not lost in nearly a decade. He planned to face lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos at UFC 196 but Dos Anjos pulled out with a broken foot. In his place came Nate Diaz, who choked out the soaring McGregor and crushed the hopes of a championship super fight at UFC 200. Set to face Diaz at UFC 200 but was pulled due to breaking contract and not fulfilling media requirements. Announced retirement then declared he would be back. Defeated Diaz in his return at UFC 202. Was initially supposed to face Jose Aldo, but is now set to challenge to become the first two-belt champ. Will fight Eddie Alvarez at UFC 205.

Lightweight: Eddie Alvarez

ALVAREZ_EDDIE_BELT.png

A champ in many other organizations, Alvarez finally put on the UFC strap after demolishing Rafael Dos Anjos on July 7th. A smart technical fighter who is a master of working his gameplan, he is currently on a 3-fight win streak against some of the best in the world at his weight class. He is set to defend his belt against Conor McGregor at UFC 205.

Welterweight: Tyron "The Chosen One" Woodley

WOODLEY_TYRON_BELT.png

Woodley came off a period of 547 days without a fight and starched one of the most beloved fighters in MMA in Robbie Lawler. While Woodley lacks consistency, he has powerful wrestling and an absolutely brutal right hand. The biggest question left is how long will his gas tank go in a title fight, or will he not even need it? Set to face Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson at UFC 205.

Middleweight: Michael "The Count" Bisping

BISPING_MICHAEL_BELT.png

The face of UK MMA, Bisping is the season 3 Ultimate Fighter winner and a long time staple of the middleweight division. Hovering in the top 10 for nearly a decade, it took an injured Chris Weidman and a three fight win streak (including a win over arguably the greatest ever, Anderson Silva) to earn a title shot. He knocked out champion Luke Rockhold despite being an absolutely massive underdog in the betting. Set to face Dan Henderson at UFC 204 in Manchester.

Light Heavyweight: Daniel "DC" Cormier

CORMIER_DANIEL.png

Interim Champ: Jon "Bones" Jones

JONES_JON.png

After Jon Jones burst onto the MMA scene and rose to power, defending his belt 8 times with what seemed like ruthless determination, the MMA world was shocked to see him stripped of his title due to an out-of-cage incident for a hit & run that he left the scene of. Jones had been away from the sport for around a year before being booked to face champion Daniel Cormier at UFC 196 (later made an interim championship due to a Cormier injury). Cormier won the vacant belt against Anthony "Rumble" Johnson and defended it once. While the two were supposed to meet at UFC 200, Jones tested positive for PEDs and is going through the necessary steps to complete the process. DC will likely face Anthony Johnson or Jon Jones upon Jones return.

Heavyweight: Stipe Miocic

MIOCIC_STIPE_BELT.png

Knocking out Fabricio Werdum with a punch out of nowhere in UFC 198, Miocic has taken the star-crossed belt despite almost no fan support. He has already defended it once against Alistair Overeem with a brutal ground-and-pound KO at UFC 203.

Upcoming Events

TUF_LA_3_Finale.jpg

640px-UFC_205_event_poster.jpg

480px-UFC_Belfast_poster.jpg

480px-UFC_Sao_Paulo_poster.jpg

Rockhold_x_Jacare_2.jpg

Edited by 7-9
  • Upvote 2

Just to let you know, we have had a few these threads before and quite a few people here are mma fans.

That said I really hope Mike Bisping beats Rockhold, dude is the cleanest and hardest worker I've seen and is more than deserved title shot. Be awesome to see him win

FINALLY!!! We needed a thread. Hyped for the fight tonight though its a bit bittersweet as the banter between Rockhold & Bisping actually never gets old. Would love to see Bisping finally get the title. He deserves it.

Bantamweight (Female): Miesha Tate

BJORN's bae.

:wub:

Agreed Bangy. I wanted to initially take Rockhold to win by KO in the 5th but he is just so much better than Bisping in every facet. I ended up taking Rockhold to win in the 2nd by KO but I'm so mixed. Bisping will give it everything he has and more tonight. Heart can't keep a chin up though.

If Bisping wins I'd love to see Jacare go take it from him. Huge fan of Jacare's game but Rockhold is a tough SOB.

I'm so excited to see Dom tonight. Cruz's footwork leaves me in awe every time. He's the MMA version of Floyd. I don't think he'll finish Urijah but he'll whoop his ass. No stopping power but ridiculous adjustments and movement.

Rest of the main card is pretty nice actually.

Holloway vs Lamas is a silent killer.

Henderson vs Lombard should be a war.

Poirier vs Green is a solid opening fight.

Edited by Chernobyl426

Actually a bit shocked at how nice the undercard is. Andrade underrated as fuck. Vick v Dariush will vault someone to top 10 opponent.

Rumor is McGregor vs Diaz headed for 202.

Gross. Strip the featherweight title.

I'd probably watch more of this stuff if it was free.

I'd probably watch more of this stuff if it was free.

It is. :smug:

Jesus. Andrade killed her.

Conor-McGregor-1-645x370.jpg

^^

UFC is only worth watching when that guy is involved

Sounds like you're a bitch Phil.

Vick stumbling around after them hits :ooo: RIP

lolno.

Dana bringing Lesnar out of retirement for 200 is so fucking dumb and it's obvious desperation. Because he knows Jones-Cormier ain't even gonna do half the fucking numbers that McGregor-Diaz II would have, so he's gotta do something to recoup those losses (in terms of PPV buys).

Bottom line, Conor McGregor is the company.

HOLY SHIT! BISPING!

Wondering where Cruz and Bisping go from here. If Souza heals up okay it's gotta be Bisping vs Souza at 204. Cruz gets winner of Dillashaw vs Assuncao?

And the award for most boring fighter ever goes to.....

Dominic Cruz

BISPING DA GOD

Hands down, man down. BOOM

Edited by BJABY

http://fullmmavideos.com/category/ufc-fight-videos/

All fights available there.

Absolutely amazing night of fights. Bisping shutting up Rockhold was excellent. Rockhold was just toying with him and got fucked up for it.

Don't you dare fucking hate on Dom, BJORN. One of the best technical fighters in MMA history and without a doubt the best bantamweight ever. Four should-be career ending injuries and he comes back and beats Dillashaw and follows it by slaughtering Faber.

Holloway and Lamas going for bombs at the end was ridiculous.

Hendo knockout was unreal. KO of the night IMO.

MICHAEL FUCKING BISPING BOIS.

As many of you know I'm a huge fan of his and felt he deserved a title shot before now and every time baring Rockhold he was on the verge it was a dude who had been on something to beat him. My God that body to left hook combo that dropped Rockhold was perfect.

The UK and England has its first ufc champ.

Also I 100% agree cherry, Bisping vs Souza would be an awesome fight.

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/739324103061032960

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/739325375923269633

apparently UFC banned the reporter who broke the Lesnar & McGregor/Diaz news for life

Edited by CampinWithTheBoysInTheBoat

Ariel seems to be a pretty popular guy with the fans, I doubt this ban holds up.

• Upvote 1

Ariel seems to be a pretty popular guy with the fans, I doubt this ban holds up.

Yea this is spot on, he's very popular and respectful in his reports and interviews with fighters and fans a like. Tbh Ariel could probably fight this and win if he takes it further.

ufc have to realise they are like any other sport and that they can't control every aspect.

Also Hendo's back elbow on Lombard was fucking nasty. Was an awesome way to end that fight.

Edited by Bangy

I'll watch UFC 200 solely because of Brock and I know a LOT of people doing the same. Good move by Dana and interesting that WWE allowed that in the contract.

I'll add I'm assuming they'll feed Brock someone easy. I'm sure Vince doesn't want one of his biggest draws getting hurt one month before their second biggest event of the year.

The only options for Lesnar right now in the top 15.

Mark Hunt (Not a good choice due to power)

Frank Mir (Excellent choice. Big name. Former champ. Washed.)

Stefan Struve (Subtly tough. Not a big name.)

Oleksiy Oliynyk (Haha)

If Cro Cop is down to scrap and still on roster (I think he is) I'd say pit him against Cro Cop. If not Mir is the best option.

Out of those names Lesnar vs Mir 3 would probably be the most interesting. They are currently 1-1 in their series and the first two fights were pretty big ones.

Mir handed Lesnar is first career loss but then Lesnar won the title at UFC 100 by beating Mir. So a third match there would-be interesting. Also remember that they headlined that card seven years ago Andrews the highest profiting UFC PPV.

Yea Mir is washed up and Brock hasn't fought in 5 years but it will be interesting. I'd love to see Brock back as I do feel the illness robbed him from being awesome.

I saw Carwin on Twitter say he would fight Brock. Any chance of that?