oochymp

Presidential Election Thread

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

• Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump
    • Gary Johnson
    • Please just shoot me now

Not even Hillary Clinton supports the TPP, Gary Johnson is the only candidate who supports it. :yao: His quote about NAFTA back in the day was something like, "It won't hurt New Mexico, we didn't want those kinds of jobs anyways."

GTFOH.

Any politician who supports the TPP should have his legislative position voided.

• Upvote 1

I generally enjoy watching Obama, but I cringed HARD and changed the channel when he was on Jimmy Fallon singing and starts peddling the fucking TPP mid-song as Jimmy and the Roots echoed the lyrics. Basically up there singing about how we need to vote Hillary and this TPP needs to pass etc. Gtfoh dude. :lol:

I want a president who tells ISPs that they can't charge gargantuan amounts for cable/wifi packages. I shouldn't have to spend nearly $200 a month for that shit (hence why I dropped cable, which sucks but it's better than being gouged every month).

My ISP has pretty much monopolied my area. They are a very crooked company.

Then you don't want Gary Johnson.

Yes I understand this. I have no problem eliminating monopolies. I have an issue with people thinking government should force cheap services. That's the vibe I got, as I said. I know how monopolies work Blots.

The issue is that ISPs have a virtual monopoly in many places around the country. Rarely does TWC go head to head with another major ISP, for example. ISPs are not this booming business that has a lot of small local ISPs involved. It's two giants going against each other with no one else really there. Government has to step in or they can basically do what they want with prices.

*throws table through wall*

To be fair after the dark ages almost everything that has contributed to modern development has come from Europe or the US. After WW2 we saw a huge leap for most of eastern Asia like Japan and South Korea, but he's not wrong. It's silly to characterize it as white people doing more than black people, though. Civilization has advanced in particular based on a multitude of reasons.

Steve King makes it clear as day he's a white supremacist, almost forgetting his political dog whistle.

Come to TGP to find the rationalization from everyone's favorite and most enlightened poster.

• Upvote 2

Steve King makes it clear as day he's a white supremacist, almost forgetting his political dog whistle.

Come to TGP to find the rationalization from everyone's favorite and most enlightened poster.

Assuming that's directed at me. Please tell me how advanced Africa and the Middle East are again. :yao:

It's not a white people thing like he suggested and the shit he was saying was silly about how it was angry white people at the convention, but pretending western civilization isn't the current peak of human development is silly.

You like numbers right? There's a reason they're called arabic numerals and it's the most obvious explanation. The development of Algebra and the use of irrational numbers? Again, Arabic. How about decimal numbers? Indian Mathematics. China was well ahead of the curve when it came to using gunpowder in weaponry, developing the first cannons, fireworks, all that fun stuff. So don't tell me that the western world has been the end all be all on technological development.

But if we're throwing in qualifiers like before a certain time period, and after another certain time period, his factually incorrect statement suddenly loses all of it's meaning. While Europe was stuck in the dark ages, other societies were making great advancements in all manner of technologies, so to pretend that everything we experience now is solely a product of western civilizations is ridiculous and spits in the face of globalization.

• Upvote 2

And I'm not disputing any of that. Clearly a lot of the original advancements made in society like mathematics came from ancient Middle East. The issue is that the region ended up never industrialising like the west did. There is a gigantic leap from where we were before industrialization and where we are now. Pretending like we aren't where we are now largely because of what the west has done since the beginning of the 1800s is silly.

Edited by Chernobyl426

It helps when you go to other countries and steal all their resources, leaving them little to develop with.

Yeah if only we didn't go to third world countries and start stealing all their shit. They'd be visiting other planets by now.

Come on Blots.

Assuming that's directed at me. Please tell me how advanced Africa and the Middle East are again. :yao:

It's not a white people thing like he suggested and the shit he was saying was silly about how it was angry white people at the convention, but pretending western civilization isn't the current peak of human development is silly.

I'm not here to argue with you on anything. It's pretty clear at this point that there are things you clearly are either miss-educated, or just downright ignorant on. I come more to the political section now when you're going off to see where you'll take it more then anything.

Even putting aside why some of these other countries haven't been able to keep up, an issue directly tied to these same western countries. There is something inherently flawed with saying something like, "almost everything that has contributed to modern development has come from Europe or the US", and trying to ignore everything that came before it.

You can go on typing away, it's just great to learn from someone like yourself, so I'll stop and read.

• Upvote 1

There is a large leap from the basic developments made by ancient societies versus the leaps made in the past few centuries. Is that really that debatable?

Whether that is debeatable or not is irrelevant. And frankly I don't even know why you bought up what you bought up considering the initial thing Oochymp posted.

The statement about how we as the "western world" has contributed more to modern society is at best, a blank one.

Behind it is the fact that most of these countries were still fighting colonization and exploitation of there resources well into the 1900s and even today are fighting it, with "colonization" having different names.

Chern, you're focusing too much on the backtrack, if you look at how he started his little rant it's absolutely clear that he was talking about white people, not Western civilization, he only brought that up when he realized he had firmly put his foot in his mouth and wanted to make it sound like he was saying something reasonable.

Even that though is ridiculous, plenty of recent technological developments have come out of Asia and as DMac mentioned there are a lot of forces, many created and sustained by Western civilization, holding "these other categories of people" back, who knows what Africa might have come up with without colonial interference.

But even accepting the premise that King was only talking about recent developments, and if we accept for the sake of argument that that's true, to ignore the fact that Western civilization itself has been built on foundations laid by many other cultures over the course of history shows a level of historical ignorance that's incredibly disappointing for a sitting congressman, and King's invitation "to go back through history" seems to indicate that he's thinking further back than the past century or two.

• Upvote 1

Modern societies advanced from ancient societies. Agree?

Ancient societies weren't white people. Agree?

Let's take a look at a few things.

The first real code of law known to man - Hammurabi "an eye for an eye." We still use this expression today.

What about architecture? The Great Wall of China and the Pyramids are two of the greatest marvels ever known on this planet. And there are others.

Math was already mentioned, so I won't go there.

There are many more things I could mention, but the bottom line is this: the building of modern society didn't begin in modern times. The building of modern society began the day humans first appeared on the earth. Since that day we've taken every bit of knowledge learned on earth and created what we have today. There is no possible way to say white people contributed more than anyone else. That is just plain incorrect on a factual and historical level.

I encourage anyone interested to check out the book "Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies" by Jared Diamond. It actually has a lot to do with this very subject. But for those who don't want tor ead, here's the main thesis of the book:

"The book attempts to explain why Eurasian civilizations (including North Africa) have survived and conquered others, while arguing against the idea that Eurasian hegemony is due to any form of Eurasian intellectual, moral, or inherent genetic superiority. Diamond argues that the gaps in power and technology between human societies originate primarily in environmental differences, which are amplified by various positive feedback loops. When cultural or genetic differences have favored Eurasians (for example, written language or the development among Eurasians of resistance to endemic diseases), he asserts that these advantages occurred because of the influence of geography on societies and cultures (for example, by facilitating commerce and trade between different cultures) and were not inherent in the Eurasian genomes."

Agree.

For the most part agree.

I said over the last few centuries or so we've seen much more development from the western cultures than the rest. Ancient civilizations put the building blocks in place. Western civilization continued that development and are much better now today than most of Asia and Africa.

I completely agree. White people aren't inherently smarter or more likely to succeed based on genetics. They succeeded largely due to having better resources. The shit the guy said about it being whites in particular who succeeded was just silly.

I was rolling on the floor when this happened:

2016-07-19t02-21-49-633z--1280x720.nbcne

• Upvote 1

I was rolling on the floor when this happened:

2016-07-19t02-21-49-633z--1280x720.nbcne

Is that the new The Apprentice? Edited by Chernobyl426

13775959_1805094826375991_11718665170898

• Upvote 2