oochymp

Presidential Election Thread

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

• Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump
    • Gary Johnson
    • Please just shoot me now

Never seen a candidate self implode the way Trump is good lord :lol: I thought he actually had a chance to win for a bit there especially with the DNC leaks but he just can't stop dropping grenades at his own feet.

Never seen a candidate self implode the way Trump is good lord :lol: I thought he actually had a chance to win for a bit there especially with the DNC leaks but he just can't stop dropping grenades at his own feet.

I'm not counting him out until its November 9th and Hillary wins. Too much crazy shit can happen and there are too many dumb people in this country.

Let's see how the debates go. :p

Please dear God Gary get in and run it up.

Let's see how the debates go. :p

Please dear God Gary get in and run it up.

As cool as that'd be to see, theres basically no chance of that happening. It'd be nice if he was included on all the polls though... :dry:

As cool as that'd be to see, theres basically no chance of that happening. It'd be nice if he was included on all the polls though... :dry:

At the rate we're going at, he might sneak in. If he manages to do that I think he will skyrocket.

Clinton-Trump Debate Sites Plan for a Third Podium

The venues that will host the presidential debates are drawing up plans for a three-person forum that would provide a lectern for a third-party candidate to stand on stage next to Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.

The directive comes from producers working for the Commission on Presidential Debates and it’s meant, they say, to force the university hosts to be prepared and not as a reflection of the state of the race. But it could give supporters of Libertarian Gary Johnson and Green Party nominee Jill Stein hope as they push an alternative to the historically unpopular major party nominees.

“With [former Gov.] Gary Johnson polling in some places more than double digits, they might have, some of our production people may have said, ‘Just in case, you need to plan out what that might look like,’” Commission on Presidential Debates co-chair and former Bill Clinton White House Press Secretary Mike McCurry told POLITICO. "We won’t know the number of invitations we extend until mid-September."

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/debates-clinton-trump-johnson-stein-226806

It's obviously still a bit of a long shot, but moreso reality now than it has in the past. I wonder if people see that Clinton + Trump rarely ever hits 90% these days and wonder where that other ~10% of the population is voting.

Edited by Favre4Ever

If the Republicans had any other candidate up there they'd be in a really good spot. Instead, we've got a candidate that has to have to the Secret Service talk to him because of stupid things he's said.

:rog:

What a time to be alive.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/debates-clinton-trump-johnson-stein-226806

It's obviously still a bit of a long shot, but moreso reality now than it has in the past. I wonder if people see that Clinton + Trump rarely ever hits 90% these days and wonder where that other ~10% of the population is voting.

But he'd have to double his support in the next month, which would be incredibly difficult. Also like I said, he isn't even showing up on many polls, which is BS but will keep him out of the debates.

If the Republicans had any other candidate up there they'd be in a really good spot. Instead, we've got a candidate that has to have to the Secret Service talk to him because of stupid things he's said.

:rog:

What a time to be alive.

Hopefully Paul Ryan only lets America suffer 4 years of Hillary.

And to be fair, it isn't quite double. Most polls have him at least hitting 8%, averaging 9%, and it takes an average of 15% to get in. And as the article states, the committee will have serious conversations about letting him in, even if he comes kind of close to the benchmark.

I also, don't think it's going to happen, but it's kinda sorta plausible.

Edited by Favre4Ever

I also, don't think it's going to happen, but it's kinda sorta plausible.

The fact that we're even having a conversation about this is pretty amazing.

The really interesting thing is if these numbers hold, and the Libertarians get more than 5% of the popular vote, they get access to federal election funding, which would be a massive thing for them in future elections.

Edited by blotsfan
  • Upvote 1

Which is why I'm choosing to look at this election as a positive. Such undeniable shit on either side that it's seriously getting the ball rolling for a third party.

• Upvote 1

Billy West has done readings of Donald Trump quotes in Zapp Brannigan's voice.

It is amazing.

Which is why I'm choosing to look at this election as a positive. Such undeniable shit on either side that it's seriously getting the ball rolling for a third party.

Been kind of my thoughts during this whole sideshow as well. As well as getting people "woke" to the corruption and BS. Instead of blindly falling in line. My mother for the first time in decades won't vote she said, unless there's a third party.

• Upvote 2

I feel like this election's only bright spot is it may be the beginning of the end of the two party system. People need to start using their brains and realize that it doesn't have to be a choice between two people, stop buying the status quo BS that is being fed to them. It's a long process, but one that hopefully is on it's way to happening.

• Upvote 1

People don't need to realize anything. It IS a two party system and until there is actual reform of the system itself- and I have no clue why Dems or Repubs would change anything to make it harder for them to hold office- it doesn't make one whit of difference what people do.

Libertarians and Gary Johnson made the front page of the local newspaper. I like it. Not the cover story mind you, but it's a start.

The really interesting thing is if these numbers hold, and the Libertarians get more than 5% of the popular vote, they get access to federal election funding, which would be a massive thing for them in future elections.

This is precisely why no vote for Johnson/Weld is a waste.

Trump is losing more and more ground. He's polling below 40% in some matchups with Hillary now. The Wall Street Journal has called for him to "turn over the nomination to Mike Pence" if he doesn't change his act by Labor Day, and if he refuses to do so, they called for Republicans to cut ties with him and focus on Congress.

Now that Trump has the media's undivided attention he is just constantly shoving his foot down his throat. "Obama created ISIS." "Obama took us into Afghanistan." "Make all immigrants take a values test." "Freedom of the press doesn't extend to criticisms of me." Hillary may be nearly as bad, but she isn't constantly reminding people how utterly stupid she is, unlike Mr. Trump.

Trump has this thing going where he says a completely outlandish statement with a perfectly straight face. Then, if the reaction turns out to be very negative, "Oh, it was a joke/sarcasm." He's a troll, plain and simple.

Johnson has a legit shot at 10% of the popular vote. Trump is acting like a petulant child, already claiming the election will be rigged if he loses, (guarantee you his "concession" speech, if he even gives one, will be anything but), and saying the only way Hillary wins PA is if she cheats, even though she currently has a double digit lead in PA.

His only real shot is the fact that he will likely annihilate Hillary in the three debates. If he doesn't get a major boost there, he's finished IMO.

He's getting utterly crushed in the <35 age category: Hillary has 50%, Trump has 18%. If the young people turn out anywhere close to the last two elections, he won't win.

So what you're saying is 1 down, 1 more to go?

People are willing to believe/forget anything, especially in the name of partisanship. I remember vividly being on the phone with my dad and brother back in ~2005 and my dad telling me he agreed with Bush and the war in Iraq because they caused 9/11.

Whether they (Giuliani et al.) actually believe what they're saying or not, the minds of the American people are malleable. It literally does nothing but benefit them to spew nonsense like this, because the people that notice are those that wouldn't have voted for their cause anyway.

What blots is referring to: https://thinkprogress.org/rudy-giuliani-forgets-about-september-11-ccc6dc923f45#.mrys0ahjx

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Or does this confirm that 9/11 was a conspiracy all along? :ooo: