Presidential Election Thread

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

• Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump
    • Gary Johnson
    • Please just shoot me now

Obama did 9/11.

Trump really needs to slaughter Hillary in the debates or its over. Looks like we may see GARY FUCKING JOHNSON.

So I'm all for taking the piss out of Giuliani as he is a complete scumbag, but that quote is ripped out of even the context he himself provides.

He references the Patriot Act- a despicable piece of legislation- and then in an attempt to prove its success says there were no radical Islamic attacks on US soil "during those eight years," which is just a mistake. His point is that after the Patriot Act was passed into law, there were no terrorist attacks until Obama got into office.

Which is a dumb point and ignores a trillion other possible variables, but given the fact that the Patriot Act was ratified after- and really, because of- 9/11, he's not forgetting it exists. He's making a simple mistake in the amount of years after the Patriot Act was ratified and before Obama took office- seven years, not eight. His larger point stands: there were no radical Islamic terrorist attacks on US soil after the Patriot Act was ratified and before Obama took office. It's a disingenuous point, but the tweet blots references just flat out ignores the actual context of the quote.

When you're taking time out of Making America Great Again to rock to some beats.

giphy.gif

Donald Trump told NBC he could host The Apprentice from the White House. Do we really need a better reason to vote Trump? (probably)

Well just in case you thought theres a reason to vote for Hillary other than her not being Trump...*

*Still enough for me, but I'm gonna have to bring a barf bag into the voting booth.**

**Oh and in case you need a new reason why you shouldn't vote for Trump.

Edited by blotsfan

THIRD OPTION: In an online poll, 35 percent of respondents said they are considering voting for a third-party candidate. According to the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll earlier this month, 57 percent of Americans are dissatisfied with the choice between Donald J. Trump and Hillary Clinton.

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/voters-party-candidate/story?id=41551698

Only 57% are dissatisfied? Jeez.

Only 57% are dissatisfied? Jeez.

The very stupid make up a pretty large chunk of America.

• Upvote 1

The very stupid make up a pretty large chunk of America.

We're a country that likes to entertain itself by getting absolutely wasted on weekends. What else could we expect?

• Downvote 1

And the kids these days listen to the hippity hop and their pants hang too low!

We're a country that likes to entertain itself by getting absolutely wasted on weekends. What else could we expect?

So enjoying what little free time we have makes us stupid? Interesting choice of words here, Bware.

• Upvote 2

We need Gary Johnson to be in on the debates. If he can get that kind of much needed attention, I truly (and hopefully) believe he could have a legitimate shot. Probably not. :(

• Upvote 2

So enjoying what little free time we have makes us stupid? Interesting choice of words here, Bware.

There's a difference between enjoying free time and wasting loads of money and damaging our health through alcoholic beverages--our drinking culture is indeed very stupid. I'm not saying that I don't do my fair share of drinking, but how some people can just get stumbling over, can't-even-talk sloshed every weekend is beyond me.

Edited by BwareDWare94

And that fact that someone can get any enjoyment out of farming is beyond me, but I don't think its a sign that the country is dumb. Get off your high horse bware.

There's a difference between enjoying free time and wasting loads of money and damaging our health through alcoholic beverages--our drinking culture is indeed very stupid. I'm not saying that I don't do my fair share of drinking, but how some people can just get stumbling over, can't-even-talk sloshed every weekend is beyond me.

Hey as long as they're not getting behind a wheel or starting fights or slapping up their significant other, I don't care. And neither should you. I'm not going to sit here and deny the fact that alcohol is unhealthy. But so what? Let people do what they want. Alcohol and all the industries related to it are huge for the economy, and there are a lot of people that would be out of work if people drank less. Think on it.

The chances of Gary winning the election are slim to none, but this is a great start to a new future of people hopefully realizing that it doesn't have to be just Republicans and Democrats. George Washington warned against the two party system and now we see how corrupt the system has become. This is an election for Presidents of the United States, not a UFC heavyweight match it doesn't have to be one on one. Give the people some choices.

• Upvote 1

And that fact that someone can get any enjoyment out of farming is beyond me, but I don't think its a sign that the country is dumb. Get off your high horse bware.

:shrug: I don't think I'm on a high horse. I just think we've become way too consumed with alcohol. I like beer. I like mixed drinks. I do it now and then, too, then feel like shit the next day and regret it. I'm just saying that I think we're too reliant on it.

No farmers no alcohol :smug:

I don't raise barley or corn :p I suppose I do raise wheat, though...

Given the massive scandal behind the trump foundation (which for some reason hasnt gotten nearly as much coverage as the overblown clinton one), I understand the rationale.

Gary Johnson will forever be the guy who ran third party and didn't know Aleppo.

Gary Johnson will forever be the guy who ran third party and didn't know Aleppo.

Honestly, that feels like an entirely media created story. From everything I can tell there was absolutely no context, I can't tell what they were discussing previously, every video I can find of it starts with a talking head (I'm not sure who it was but I don't particularly care) asking Johnson "What would you do if you were elected about Aleppo?" and when Johnson responds seeming to ask for clarification the guy just repeats "About Aleppo." As soon as he provides some clarification Johnson went into a halfway decent answer that shows a pretty good understanding of the issue and the parties at play.

You just get the feeling that the MSNBC talking head was looking for a gotcha moment with the way he phrased the question. That doesn't change my opinion on Johnson at all. FWIW here's Johnson's official statement (Source):

This morning, I began my day by setting aside any doubt that I’m human. Yes, I understand the dynamics of the Syrian conflict — I talk about them every day. But hit with “What about Aleppo?”, I immediately was thinking about an acronym, not the Syrian conflict. I blanked. It happens, and it will happen again during the course of this campaign.

Can I name every city in Syria? No. Should I have identified Aleppo? Yes. Do I understand its significance? Yes.
As Governor, there were many things I didn’t know off the top of my head. But I succeeded by surrounding myself with the right people, getting to the bottom of important issues, and making principled decisions. It worked. That is what a President must do.
That would begin, clearly, with daily security briefings that, to me, will be fundamental to the job of being President.

Is what is going in Aleppo, and the rest of Syria, a big deal? Oh, very much so. Daesh is a big deal, no doubt, but it unfortunately overshadows what is going on in Syria and leaves a large part of the general public ignorant on all of the terrible things that is/has been happening there for years now.

I do feel that it is important for these people to be on top of things, but did he forget? Or did he truly not know? Not sure.

That said, what official running for office doesn't have a couple gaffes throughout the process?

For me, compared to all the straight up bullshit that we've heard from the other candidates (one in particular), it's a small blip in comparison.

Should he be criticised for it? Yeah, a bit, but maybe after, we can use it as a stepping point to talk more about Aleppo and the shit going on there. We can also talk about Operation Inherent Resolve while we're at it which is another thing a large part of the public has no idea about.

I could go on about other things a large part of the media loves to neglect, but that would probably be asking too much of them.