oochymp

Presidential Election Thread

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

• Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump
    • Gary Johnson
    • Please just shoot me now

Why I said just open the borders and keep wages where they're at is a better option. I'm fine with cutting it anyways because I'm not a minimum wage worker. Benefits me more to have uneducated people working for shit wages.

You need to learn empathy.

Cut minimum wage and it will affect you lol. A lot more people will be on government assistance...which means you'll be paying for it.

• Upvote 1

I advocate people being valued for what they're actually worth. That benefits me, because I'm not a minimum wage worker.

I completely understand the ideology behind raising the minimum wage. The idea that putting more money in the hands of the poor stimulates growth is not a bad one. My biggest concern would be that rather than getting a raise, Joe Schmo would simply be fired and replaced by technology or there would be a general cut in employees per company. The government cannot force a company to employ people over technology, and they cannot force businesses to not let go of employees to continue making a profit.

You're absolutely right that more money to the poor stimulates growth though. Joe Schmo can invest in a house, a car, or just spend money on products that he enjoys. He can afford to go out to dinner with his family. The question is, how do we best get money into the hands of Joe Schmo or any other minimum wage worker? There are two options. One, remove the minimum wage and allow him to compete with others for the best possible income he can get. His productivity and success at his job on paper allows him to compete for higher wages. The only concern with this is the willingness of large businesses to pay their employees a fair and livable wage. This would likely lead to a lot of unions for industries in terms of fighting for a particular wage. So rather than a federal wage that is set in stone as the minimum wage, there would be a relative bar for wages depending on your job, along with constant posturing between businesses and unions to serve their own interests.

The second option is to continue to pay the current minimum wage, but reduce taxes on those making minimum wage to almost nothing, if not simply nothing. This would stimulate growth through Joe Schmo buying whatever product and bolstering the economy.

Either way, a cut in business tax from 35% to 15% is incredibly beneficial to allowing new businesses to form and old businesses to have incentives to return. The reason why we don't see more manufacturing jobs is because we have raised taxes on business so high that old manufacturing jobs are leaving the nation to go produce for a cheaper price overseas. We also don't see a rebirth in manufacturing jobs because the taxes prevent new businesses from accelerating growth in the US. It's impossible to compete as a small local business with 35% taxes and rising against a large business overseas paying 20% that just ships their products into the US.

Saw a thread on Reddit discussing the debate... Moderator Lester Holt asked 6 questions that he pointed towards both candidates... Hillary Clinton got 2 questions exclusively pointed to her... and Donald Trumped received 15 exclusive questions per a transcript analysis. Trump also receivd 6 follow up questions to his answers while Hillary didn't receive a single one. (again, on Reddit).

Take that for what it is worth.

Candidates usually come out of debates complaining that they didn't get enough time to talk. The only reason this seems biased against Trump is because he was imploding.

My favorite take aways of night were:

The part where trump bragged about that time he didn't say awful things to a woman, how very Mean Girl of him. (And then went onto Hannity's show and immediately said it anyway.)

The part where trump bragged about owning a club that does in fact allow minorities in.

The part where trump bragged about owning a condo that doesn't allow african-american tenants, but not being found guilty about it.

I especially love the part where he bragged about not being a braggart.

Most of all loved the entire debate where he persistently argued that he didn't say things that he definitely said.

• Upvote 1

You need to learn empathy.

Lol fuck other people. It's not my responsibility to care for people who are of making low wages. And if I end up in a minimum wage job, it's not anyone elses job to bail my ass out.

Hillary Romney'd herself...

Hacked audio of a conversation between Hillary Clinton and donors during a February fundraising event shows the Democrat nominee describing Bernie Sanders supporters as "children of the Great Recession" who are "living in their parents’ basement."

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-supporters-audio-leak-228997

And in something we've all been waiting for: Someone has leaked some of Trump's old tax documents. They...don't look good.

Did I miss something? Stuff at least looks legal... If anything, this LEGAL rendering of the tax code should make you ask why it hasn't been fixed and dealt with.

200_s.gif

Edited by Favre4Ever

Also...

The Commission on Presidential Debates admitted today that Republican nominee Donald Trump's audio was not working properly during Monday's night debate at Hofstra University.

"Regarding the first debate, there were issues regarding Donald Trump's audio that affected the sound level in the debate hall," according to a statement from the commission.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/debate-commission-issue-trumps-mic/story?id=42481589

Hillary's point was that Sanders supporters tend to be young people who can't find good jobs, so they want drastic change. The difference between her and Romney is that she was empathizing vs condescending. Even Politico admits at the bottom of that article that they portrayed the tone of what she said incorrectly.

And Favre, it is definitely legal, but its more evidence to what we all suspect: Donald Trump the multi-billionaire most likely does not pay his fair share of taxes. Heck, he doesn't even pay my fair share. This is the same man arguing that taxes on the rich are too high. For all the shit Romney gets, when he released his tax returns, people found that he actually had a ton of charity donations that he just didn't write off, paying more in taxes than he needed to. So you think this guy who has done whatever he can to not pay any taxes, and has never shown an inkling of caring about anyone other than himself, is suddenly going to enact policy that forces himself to pay more in taxes?

• Upvote 1

Trump avoided taxes. No shit he was a businessman who used political loopholes to avoid them. This is why Hillary's economics are trash. They look nice about taxing the rich on paper, but that money never comes in and results in a larger deficit.

Also, Romney says he won't ever get 47% of the vote because those people rely on the government. CONDESCENDING. Hillary says Bernie supporters live in their parents basement. EMPATHIZING. Stfu Blots.

• Upvote 1

Romney literally called the 47% entitled. Hillary was saying that people were living in their parents' basements not because they have some kind of moral failing, but because the economy was in a shitty state and they were rightfully frustrated.

It's also funny how Republicans and their supporters are so willing to smite people who (legally) claim welfare benefits even if they are able to work, yet they also praise Trump for legally avoiding taxes. Aren't the welfare people smart too? Can't have it both ways. Essentially Trump is also a freeloader as far as the economy is concerned.

But that Clinton quote also rubs me the wrong way. It's more than a bit condescending, and she's making a lot of assumptions to arrive at those conclusions.

I really fucking hate this election. I might just stay in Colombia and never return.

Cherry, I love how you are just fine with Trump using political loopholes to avoid taxes while simultaneously wanting to cut taxes on the rich even more. And you want that kind of person in office. A kind of person who does whatever it takes, no matter how morally wrong, toeing the legal line, in order to not pay his fair share.

Just lmao.

The reason Trump used political loopholes to avoid taxes is because they were available. You know who made them available for big businesses? Democrats who wanted high taxes but were paid off to allow loopholes. :yao: Edited by 2-14

Also, yes it is smart to be on welfare and live off the government if it's available.

Hillary's point was that Sanders supporters tend to be young people who can't find good jobs, so they want drastic change. The difference between her and Romney is that she was empathizing vs condescending. Even Politico admits at the bottom of that article that they portrayed the tone of what she said incorrectly.

And Favre, it is definitely legal, but its more evidence to what we all suspect: Donald Trump the multi-billionaire most likely does not pay his fair share of taxes. Heck, he doesn't even pay my fair share. This is the same man arguing that taxes on the rich are too high. For all the shit Romney gets, when he released his tax returns, people found that he actually had a ton of charity donations that he just didn't write off, paying more in taxes than he needed to. So you think this guy who has done whatever he can to not pay any taxes, and has never shown an inkling of caring about anyone other than himself, is suddenly going to enact policy that forces himself to pay more in taxes?

That was her point? Lol.. she had a really funny way of saying that. It is almost identical to the Romney situation minus the fact that she's generalizing and shitting on like half-ish the people (which is still a lot considering Romney's remarks).

1/5 of voters are under 29 and it's a demographic that the Democrats took 60% of 4 years ago. I think Bernie ate into that a little already, even not being in the race anymore. Hillary isn't doing herself any favors with that Demographic.

Also, I understand the issue or point beyond the Trump stuff, I just don't feel it's as big of a deal as everyone else does. Online it's being sensationalized and blown up.. " Bombshell " for example. Eh. I am not expecting these candidates to be perfect, but as a voter I need to weigh their vices and decipher which, if any I can swallow, and which I can not. This news, which many suspected already, doesn't move Trump into Hillary territory.

Although it probably doesn't matter at this point because i'm voting with the 8% in Iowa that will be voting Libertarian.

Edited by Favre4Ever

If everyone evaded paying their taxes like Trump did, you wouldn't have a country to stand on.

• Upvote 2