Sign in to follow this  
DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

2016 NBA Offseason!

It's funny, I remember when Carmelo was a free agent, everyone got really pissed that he decided to stay in New York over going to a new team where he'd have a better chance to win. Now with durant though, he's getting trashed for doing the opposite. I think people are just going to get angry no matter what happens.

• Upvote 2

Everybody blames LeBron for this. I seem to recall the original "Big 3" of prime-age superstars uniting on one team being the Garnett/Pierce/Allen Celtics. LeBron definitely helped this happen with his original move, but it all started with the Boston 3 Party.

DMac kinda beat me to it, but Garnett, Pierce, and Allen were not at the prime of their careers when they joined together. In 2007, Garnett was 31 and going into his 13th season, Allen was 32 and also going into his 13th season, and Pierce was almost 30 and going into his 10th season. For comparison, when the Heat Big 3 joined up three years later, LeBron was almost 26 and going into his 8th season, Bosh was 26 and going into his 8th season, and Wade was 28 and also going into his 8th season. That may not seem like a huge difference, but all of the scales change when you're talking about sports and 4-5 years is an eternity.

I also think we should avoid putting the GSW on a level as though they have already won or a lock to make the finals. With all due respect to the Mavs, they really should not of beaten the Heat in 2011.

Match ups always plays a role in these things and how a team comes together.

There are 82 games in the regular season and then some. All it takes is an an injury or something and this could be looking totally different. Especially considering the amount of shedding Golden State will have to do to sign Durant. (I haven't looked into it, but im assuming it won't be easy).

this'll help: Stephen Curry Contract, Salary Cap Details & Breakdowns | Spotrac

the big cuts will need to come next year when it's time to pay Steph, though I think the way the NBA's cap is structured only a portion of a returning player's new contract counts against the cap so that shouldn't be too hard to pull off

DMac kinda beat me to it, but Garnett, Pierce, and Allen were not at the prime of their careers when they joined together. In 2007, Garnett was 31 and going into his 13th season, Allen was 32 and also going into his 13th season, and Pierce was almost 30 and going into his 10th season. For comparison, when the Heat Big 3 joined up three years later, LeBron was almost 26 and going into his 8th season, Bosh was 26 and going into his 8th season, and Wade was 28 and also going into his 8th season. That may not seem like a huge difference, but all of the scales change when you're talking about sports and 4-5 years is an eternity.

Garnett and Pierce were certainly in their prime. Don't let the age fool you. Go back to 2007 and Garnett was considered a Top 5 player in the NBA by virtually everybody.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Garnett in 07-08 was for sure still a top 5 player. But in his 2nd year in Boston, he hurt his knee jumping for an alley oop one night in Utah and was never the same. He missed the playoffs that year, and in 10,11, 12 he was limping around on 1 leg and not even close to what he was. We got 1 year of prime KG.

Garnett in 07-08 was for sure still a top 5 player. But in his 2nd year in Boston, he hurt his knee jumping for an alley oop one night in Utah and was never the same. He missed the playoffs that year, and in 10,11, 12 he was limping around on 1 leg and not even close to what he was. We got 1 year of prime KG.

I know he wasn't in his prime for most of the Boston run but oochymp specifically stated "when they joined together" so I was only focusing on that part.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

SAS loves this super team shit...

I stand corrected. SAS is usually all for the biggest markets and the lack of parity in the NBA. It surprises me he's all over Durant over this.

I know he wasn't in his prime for most of the Boston run but oochymp specifically stated "when they joined together" so I was only focusing on that part.

you're right, I didn't quite say what I meant to say which is that the Boston 3 Party came together when the players were nearing the end of their prime, the Heat's Big 3 came together as they were entering their prime

• Upvote 1

What if Lebron brings Wade to Cleveland now? Season (well, the playoffs, actually... Well, the Finals, really) are going to be super crazy.

• Upvote 1

Yeah like DMac said I see KD being the main scoring option on the Warriors. He's the most physically gifted freak athlete it's the easiest for him to get open looks and hit contested looks, and now with a team with great ball movement and unselfish stars he's all gravy.

Wade to the Cavs would be insane. Probably gonna be Warriors/Cavs anyways save injury so might as well be super teams fuck it. Let's go 7 games again. :yao:

I'd be all for Wade going to the Cavs other than the fact I have $50 riding on Wade going back to the Heat. :shifty:

I also think we should avoid putting the GSW on a level as though they have already won or a lock to make the finals. With all due respect to the Mavs, they really should not of beaten the Heat in 2011.

Match ups always plays a role in these things and how a team comes together.

There are 82 games in the regular season and then some. All it takes is an an injury or something and this could be looking totally different. Especially considering the amount of shedding Golden State will have to do to sign Durant. (I haven't looked into it, but im assuming it won't be easy).

Why not? Because the Heat were better on paper? They outplayed them in almost every game, would have won 4 games to 1 if Dirk hits the final shot in game 3. The Heat were arrogant, assumed the Mavs were going to roll over, and after going up by 15 in the 2nd game with 6 minutes to play decided the game was over. The Mavericks kept playing.

The Heat did not deserve to win that series, the Mavs beat them up one side and down the other. Tired of hearing people excuse that title as if Dallas didn't deserve to beat the Heat just because the Heat had a few superstars.

I can't see Wade leaving that much money on the table. Unless Gilbert gonna break CBA and pay him a shit ton under the table

Why not? Because the Heat were better on paper? They outplayed them in almost every game, would have won 4 games to 1 if Dirk hits the final shot in game 3. The Heat were arrogant, assumed the Mavs were going to roll over, and after going up by 15 in the 2nd game with 6 minutes to play decided the game was over. The Mavericks kept playing.

The Heat did not deserve to win that series, the Mavs beat them up one side and down the other. Tired of hearing people excuse that title as if Dallas didn't deserve to beat the Heat just because the Heat had a few superstars.

Nobody is saying the Heat "deserved" to win anything. This has nothing to do with who was "more derseving", as if somehow the winning team in a 7 game series is ever not deserving. The point of my post was simply that:

1. Everyone expected the Heat to win the series. Especially coming after backdoor sweeping the Bulls who were seen as the best team in the league, with one of the better defenses in the decade and Rose coming off an MVP season. On paper the Heat were the suspected better team by default of having three of the best players in the league, in their prime.

2. The Mavs weren't even the favorite to come out of the West. The Lakers before the season started were the HEAVY favorite to come out of the west and were the favorite by most to win it all. And going into the playoffs were still seen as the favoritesame, followed by OKC and the Spurs to come out of the West.

I'm simply saying, nothing is set in stone and people shouldn't act as if it'still automatic that the Warriors make it out of the West. You litterally made my point for me.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

At least after LBJ wins the tittle next year against the Warriors (if the Pistons don't) all the people who still pretend like he isn't the GOAT will look like even bigger haters. :smug:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I can't see Wade leaving that much money on the table. Unless Gilbert gonna break CBA and pay him a shit ton under the table

Cavs already paid $50M in luxury tax this last year. What's a few ten million more?

Edited by Favre4Ever

KD is sawft. Look forward to seeing the shit storm that will be GS.

• Upvote 1

That first one, "I can't play for a team that would blow a 3-1 series lead" :rofl:

These are gold.

• Upvote 1

Glad the Bulls suck because we lost the NBA fantasy draft (aka 2016 offseason)

Nobody outside SAS, GS, CLE is even gonna have a shot at a title the next 3 years.

Nobody outside SAS, GS, CLE is even gonna have a shot at a title the next 3 years.

It's like this every year in the NBA. There's really only three or four teams max with a legit shot at winning a championship. It's why I don't even bother watching the NBA during the regular season. It really doesn't matter.