Sign in to follow this  
Bangy

Great Britain Leaves The European Union

Well with this being such a big topic world wide right now, I feel a thread is a better place for this conversation than the shout box.

• Basically the long and short of it is that the older generation all voted leave
  • The younger generation 18-25 voted 75% stay and though out of uni with a degree 21-30 40% voted stay, so the younger generation have been shafted.
  • David Cameron our PM has now resigned and is leaving by October
  • Our leave campaigners wanted to wait till October to trigger the clause but the EU Commission are now trying to see if they can by law make the clause trigger sooner.
  • England and Wales voted out but Scotland and Ireland voted to stay
  • Scotland are highly likely to vote to leave "Great Britain" now and Northen Ireland are looking into this also and possibly will leave
  • The Pound dropped agains the euro by 10% making it the biggest drop in 31 years though now recovered to a drop of 4-5 %
  • Now there is a massive waiting game to see what is next and they feel trade talks can take up to 7-10 years.

Personally I am not mad, it is what it is and there is now nothing that can be done. The whole drive was about a lie on the NHS (which was proven this morning) and huge push on immergration and people have believed these so called truths.

I hope the economy does regain and I was wrong to vote remain, as this is either going to fuck up completely or be the best thing for us but the process will be long.

I am also personally worried about a rise in potiential racism (I am not calling everyone who voted leave) due to the small group that are so blatently racist. I am actually expecting a rise in this (I'm half bengali, quarter Arminian and quarter English but born and bread here).

The country right now is massivly split and it will probably get worse before it is better.

The EU is a sham. Good for England to be the first to realize it.

• Upvote 2

Yea there is a hell of a lot of change that is required in the European Union. The rules that they impliment and the whole idea about it being a be all and end all of everything is bullshit. The amount countries put in with out any real rewards is ridiculous.

I was very undecided in regards to which way to vote yesterday but I have come around to the idea of being out more now as there is more control back in GB's hands. I think it can work and trade agreements can be made and improved all over the world.

The immagration debate was worring but we will have to see what happens

Yeah, reading around, most people are worried about those very two points -- trade and immigration. The reality of the situation is that even though the vote was to leave the EU, actually doing so is going to take a lot of negotiating by the EU and the British parliament. The result will probably be some form of free trade and some kind of reasonable compromise on immigration -- probably.

I think England will reap the benefits of this financially, if they stay with it all the way through. They will be able to actually keep more of the profits of their trade industry without the EU sticking their grubby hands into their coffers.

Granted, there is a lot of room to make errors, but if navigated correctly, everything will be fine for GB. There is some inherent risk, leaving your safety net, but the reward could be substantial.

Also, I think Obama is a douche for his comments on the matter. Hopefully he was just bluffing.

I think a lot of people surprisingly mistook leaving the European Union as leaving Europe as a continent. Which people really should know the difference

Yeah, reading around, most people are worried about those very two points -- trade and immigration. The reality of the situation is that even though the vote was to leave the EU, actually doing so is going to take a lot of negotiating by the EU and the British parliament. The result will probably be some form of free trade and some kind of reasonable compromise on immigration -- probably.

I think England will reap the benefits of this financially, if they stay with it all the way through. They will be able to actually keep more of the profits of their trade industry without the EU sticking their grubby hands into their coffers.

Granted, there is a lot of room to make errors, but if navigated correctly, everything will be fine for GB. There is some inherent risk, leaving your safety net, but the reward could be substantial.

Also, I think Obama is a douche for his comments on the matter. Hopefully he was just bluffing.

Yes, because it is much easier to have leverage for trade deals when you're a small country on your own as opposed to being part of a group that makes the largest economy in the world. If they think the EU was fucking them before, wait until they come to a trade agreement. Not to mention the UK is probably going to fall apart, with Scotland and Northern Ireland leaving (as well as Gibraltar for what thats worth).

And Obama wasn't wrong. He just pointed out that negotiating deals with the UK isn't as important as negotiating deals with the EU. Not that we won't, just that its a lower priority (this goes back to the whole leverage thing).

England/Wales are going to be fucked for a long time because of this.

• Upvote 1

I didn't know who Nigel Farage was prior to yesterday, but it looks like the Leave campaign has their own Donald Trump. Already saying one of Leave's main adverts- we send 350 million to the EU every year, once we leave the EU, we will send that instead to the NHS, (National Hospital Service)- was a "mistake."

I'm not even going to pretend I know what I'm talking about in regards to the EU and GB, but the fact that 67% of voters under the age of 30 voted for Remain makes the final tally somewhat worrisome. Means the people who potentially have to deal with the consequences the longest are very much opposed to it.

Also, the idea of a simple majority vote, (52-48), taking this is somewhat silly when you're talking such a momentous change in circumstance. Feel like it should have 60% at least in order to make this drastic of a change.

There were also several Leave voters interviewed that apparently thought this vote was not going to actually cause something to happen, lol.

That is the life of being an independent nation. I believe the UK will take that trade off. You win some, you lose some. Every country or even centralized power of countries take their lumps.

It isn't a matter of Obama being right or wrong, it's him tying this issue with the influence of our country in the affairs of others. It's not really any of Obama or the United States' business if the United Kingdom seeks independence from the EU. Shut your mouth and let them do what they want with their country. They don't need our veiled threats.

What the people of the UK did last night was possibly one of the greatest showings of Democracy and liberty the world has seen in years. Kudos to them.

I think a lot of people surprisingly mistook leaving the European Union as leaving Europe as a continent. Which people really should know the difference

Doesn't the Channel already take care of that?

That is the life of being an independent nation. I believe the UK will take that trade off. You win some, you lose some. Every country or even centralized power of countries take their lumps.

It isn't a matter of Obama being right or wrong, it's him tying this issue with the influence of our country in the affairs of others. It's not really any of Obama or the United States' business if the United Kingdom seeks independence from the EU. Shut your mouth and let them do what they want with their country. They don't need our veiled threats.

What the people of the UK did last night was possibly one of the greatest showings of Democracy and liberty the world has seen in years. Kudos to them.

Yesterday was something that people will use to argue against democracy for decades. To quote a wise scholar "you were so concerned with whether you could that you never stopped to consider if you should."

• Downvote 3

Uh.... No they won't. And that is a terrible quote for the situation.

*Blots posts overused quote to explain why democracy is bad when it doesn't go his way*

• Upvote 2

If you can't see someone using the argument "we shouldn't let the riff-raff have a say in things! look what happened last time? they destroyed the uk!" I don't know what to tell you.

If you can't see someone using the argument "we shouldn't let the riff-raff have a say in things! look what happened last time? they destroyed the uk!" I don't know what to tell you.

This is simply denying equality amongst people in favor of authoritarian left wing politics. Thinking you're right doesn't mean you have the right to silence or control a demographic that disagrees.

I shudder to imagine what your reading comprehension scores were on the SATs.

• Downvote 1

I shudder to imagine what your reading comprehension scores were on the SATs.

32 on ACT. Thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/7cfOcnT.jpg

Anyways Blots. You done trying to come up with a personal insult and getting swatted like a fly?

Edited by Chernobyl426

A "wise scholar"? That's from fucking Jurassic Park

No, its from my magnum-opus "Billy and the Cloneasaurus."

The reason we have left is because the European Union is because the amount they were requesting in funds was disproportionate to the benefits received. The system they are using is outdated and is the main cause of austerity in Europe.

We wanted a deal similar to Norway and Switzerland. These two countries aren't in the union but have two of the best economy's in Europe. We realised that going down that route is better for our country.

Yea the hit will last a while but once the trade deals are reached and those deals can now be done with who we want and not have to lose some because we are part of the union.

• Upvote 2