Sign in to follow this  
Bangy

Great Britain Leaves The European Union

Well to provide an update: there has now been signature list on the government website for a second referendum because there wasn't at least a 60-40 split. It's gotten over a million signatures.

I fully expect it to be thrown out now Cameron has resigned. If it does I will go vote leave.

Does GB have the kind of leadership in place to make sure that the grass is greener on the other side? More control over your economy is great in theory but do they have the people in place to go about it correctly? The younger generations seem to feel that they don't, and that is the primary opposition I'm hearing

Edited by BwareDWare94

We won't know until they're elected :shrug: One thing lots of people don't talk about in terms of old/young voters which I've noticed as I've gotten older; Older people tend to vote for more self control. Younger tend to vote for more institutional control. It's only natural, younger people aren't used to having control so they vote parachute. Older people realize that it's just people, not some well oiled machine and thus realize the people in control are just as dumb as they are so they want more control. :lol:

My thing with the UK becoming "independent" again is it's actually far more left leaning than other EU states in mainland Europe. So like Norway or Switzerland I don't see this as some move towards some super extreme right wing movement that some left wingers are being hysterical about :lol: That's just partisan narrative panic.

Does GB have the kind of leadership in place to make sure that the grass is greener on the other side? More control over your economy is great in theory but do they have the people in place to go about it correctly? The younger generations seem to feel that they don't, and that is the primary opposition I'm hearing

This is the big issue. It's between Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, and Jeremy Corbyn, (sp?). None of the three seem to be good people or people who have any idea what they're doing.

Pretty sure that the EU has made it clear it won't treat GB like it has Norway and Switzerland. What the hell is the point of anyone remaining if they can get the same trade benefits without the regulations and costs? No way GB has it as good with Europe after Brexit.

Also, Scotland and Northern Ireland have already pondered leaving the UK. London, apparently, is considering it too. It's legit enough that it has its own Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_independence

This is the big issue. It's between Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage, and Jeremy Corbyn, (sp?). None of the three seem to be good people or people who have any idea what they're doing.

David Cameron is/was our PM, Boris is in the same party (Conservatives) but on different sides of the debate. Boris is fairly well received here. Farage is the UK Independence party who's overall goal was to get the UK out of the EU. The party is becoming popular with the low income but also known to have racist links. Corbyn is the Labour leader who has a good feel with young voters and is more energy/anti war, he did fuck all in regards to trying to keep the UK in the EU and is likely to have a vote of no confidence in the next week.

Pretty sure that the EU has made it clear it won't treat GB like it has Norway and Switzerland. What the hell is the point of anyone remaining if they can get the same trade benefits without the regulations and costs? No way GB has it as good with Europe after Brexit.

Also, Scotland and Northern Ireland have already pondered leaving the UK. London, apparently, is considering it too. It's legit enough that it has its own Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_independence

We will get the same deal as Norway and Switzerland but two of the promises of this referendum was not paying EU membership or not having to worry about free movement. We will also have a diminished voice in regards to what the EU does, though their rules wont effect us due to it being a trade agreement. In theory it should work out for us but it will take time. Other countries in the EU Bloc are worried about the financial dip we are about to go through.

Also Scotland are looking for a UK referendum to go back into Europe. If they break away it is unknown if they can fund it even with accepting the euro. Northern Ireland have already confirmed they aren't going to break away even though they voted remain.

David Cameron is/was our PM, Boris is in the same party (Conservatives) but on different sides of the debate. Boris is fairly well received here. Farage is the UK Independence party who's overall goal was to get the UK out of the EU. The party is becoming popular with the low income but also known to have racist links. Corbyn is the Labour leader who has a good feel with young voters and is more energy/anti war, he did fuck all in regards to trying to keep the UK in the EU and is likely to have a vote of no confidence in the next week.

Boris Johnson is well received there? Granted, I don't know a lot of British people, but the few I do know all despise him.

Boris Johnson is well received there? Granted, I don't know a lot of British people, but the few I do know all despise him.

Fairly well yea, obviously his popularity has been hit with half the nation because of the referendum but most people like him. He's a bit of a bumbling Oaf but he hides his intelligence behind that and has a pretty good personality.

We shall see though

Bumbling oaf? Sounds familiar. Ha

• Upvote 1

Bumbling oaf? Sounds familiar. Ha

The parallels between the two situations are rather striking.

Except Boris Johnson acts the idiot but he is to hide his intelligence, the guy went to Eton. He is smart as fuck and also not a racist like trump.

The way they look are the only two similarities

Except Boris Johnson acts the idiot but he is to hide his intelligence, the guy went to Eton. He is smart as fuck and also not a racist like trump.

The way they look are the only two similarities

Donald Trump went to UPenn, one of the best schools in the country.

• Upvote 2

It would be be pretty hilarious if this whole thing boiled down to a massive loljk. More in the article and whatnot:

http://www.vox.com/2016/6/25/12031254/no-brexit-article-50

Does this mean Brexit could just, like, not happen?

Absolutely — as long as Article 50 isn’t invoked. "Once Article 50 is invoked, the process is irreversible," Slate's Joshua Keating notes. "The UK can't back out."

But there’s no requirement that the UK invoke Article 50 in a timely fashion. Indeed, both Cameron and Johnson have said they think it’s appropriate to dawdle; Cameron says he’ll leave the decision to invoke to his successor, and Johnson has said there’s no rush.

It wouldn’t be tenable for the government to just completely ignore the vote forever, even though that is legally permissible. That said, there are some more plausible, clever ways that the government could get around actually exiting.

Scenario 1: Let Scotland save you. Under the Scotland Act 1998, it appears that the Scottish Parliament has to consent to measures that eliminate EU law's application in Scotland. At least that was the conclusion of a report on Brexit released by the House of Lords, the upper house of Britain’s parliament:

Scenario 2: Dawdle on invoking Article 50 by having another referendum. This would be a bit odd so soon after the first one, but there’s nothing preventing the government from calling a do-over, and there might be political willpower for it.

For one thing, there have been anecdotal reports from numerous Brexit supporters saying they didn’t realize their votes would actually count, and that they regret voting to Leave now that the results are in. Searches like "what does it mean to leave the EU?" and "what is the EU?" surged after the referendum. And more than 2 million have signed a petition calling for a second referendum.

Scenario 3: Dawdle on invoking Article 50 and have an actual general election. "There's a reasonable case to be made that this should go to an election given that the prime minister resigned," Adam Posen, president of the Peterson Institute for International Economics and a former member of the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee, told me in an interview. Then, if either the Labour Party (which strongly opposes Brexit) or a split-off faction of the Conservatives that opposes Brexit were to win the election, they could claim that as a mandate to cancel the results of the referendum.

There was lies on both side and absolutely neither one gave any facts.

Hell the Bank of England and David Cameron even came out and said today that we can flourish outside the EU. Only thing is to do it and see what happens.

suppose I should follow this up, I just read an interesting article about why this is a silly metric: Stop Using Google Trends — Medium

among other things that article provides some context:

1*mA4iVZVb41Mf0bif-EUCCA.jpeg

Maybe I'm not understanding things here, but how does this prove that these searches are from actual Britians? I'm very interested in this and have google something similar, but I did not vote in the campaign, obviously..

Maybe I'm not understanding things here, but how does this prove that these searches are from actual Britians? I'm very interested in this and have google something similar, but I did not vote in the campaign, obviously..

It's limited geographically, so the answer really is it doesn't, but I don't think anything claims that the searches are from actual Britains, it's searches that were conducted within the UK. I don't know that there really is a way to verify who is actually running those searches, only the location.

The main point of my more recent post is that while the searches did shoot up relative to the same search terms prior to the vote, the raw number of searches was still extremely low, but you bring up another great point for why these are skewed. These searches could just as easily have been from tourists or even mainland Europeans living in the UK who want to know how the vote impacts them, which would be a much more relevant search after the vote than before since they wouldn't have a vote. You know what they say, lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Edited by oochymp

Well boys expect this shit storm to continue for a good while longer. This will likely cause an early election on May and fuck knows how this affects the relationship with Europe.

Get your Popcorn ready, I hope you have an excess amount remaining after your president vote

"Hey you know that vote you guys all did and the people decided what they wanted? Yeah scratch that."

Guest Phailadelphia

"Hey you know that vote you guys all did and the people decided what they wanted? Yeah scratch that."

Which is probably for the best. Brexit is precisely why the public should be kept away from policy making.

• Downvote 1