Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Alright TGP. Let's have it.

how the hell is making the playoffs 3 out of 4 years since you started and already being in a conference championship,not living up to the hype?

yes,because of what I said above.

neither Dalton nor the Bengals are better. The Bengals are/were just the Texans with a better QB.

You confuse team success with how good a QB is. Luck is a great QB. He's just outside the top 10 atm for me. He is not a slam dunk top-10 QB, nor is he the second coming of the Messiah at QB as the media has hyped him up to be since he entered the league.

Singlehandedly? Did you watch that game where half of the Chiefs defense got injured and they were down to their third running back? I mean, it was a nice comeback, but Luck (hah puns) was definitely on his side. And in the playoff game against the broncos two seasons ago John Fox was already preparing for his move to Chicago and didn't even bother preparing a game plan because he knew he was going to be fired if he didn't win the super bowl, so he didn't even try. Why bother when you can have the job security in a place that doesn't demand the same excellence John Elway does.

As for historical team precedence, it doesn't really matter. It comes down to who is playing for you right now. To dismiss Dalton taking his team to the playoffs every season while praising Luck for the same thing is a joke.

• Upvote 1

how the hell is making the playoffs 3 out of 4 years since you started and already being in a conference championship,not living up to the hype?

Shitty division helps

• Upvote 2

You still need to build the team around the star players, and right now the Colts are not building the better team around Luck. There isn't a large influx of fresh blood in this team, and you can only live for so long on the play of veteran free agents, and a single TY Hilton. To says the Colts will always be better is a naive outlook to say the least. They may have an easier road to the playoffs because at least one of the teams in that division isn't actively trying to win games, but you still need the roster.

I'm not talking about perception, nobody is great simply because someone says they're great. Donald Trump is not a great presidental candidate because he tells every one he is. Greatness is measured in results, in outcomes. Andrew Luck has all the benefits of entering the draft as the first overall pick, having a great college career, immediately being brought up to be Peyton Manning's replacement, it only makes sense that there would be buzz about him no matter what he did. It's way easier for the media to talk about that guy compared to somebody who comes in as a second round pick for a perennial loser who had only sniffed the playoffs a couple of times since 2005, who ended up being drafted behind guys like Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, and Christian Ponder, and help take that team to the playoffs in every single year he's been in the league. It's no wonder why everyone would talk about Andrew Luck. It's no wonder why the media would jump on that knob. But that doesn't matter on the football field.

When it comes to results on the field, Dalton is objectively better. his offense scores more often, his YPA is higher, his completion percentage is higher, hell even his winning percentage is higher if you want to use that, but small sample sizes and huge strength of schedule differences. The thing is, Luck and Dalton would have been close all the way up to the beginning of last season, but Dalton played near perfectly, and only turned the ball over 12 times (fumbles and INTs) in 463 touches. That might be Luck's peak at well, but for every game Luck has where he throws impeccably, he'll have games where he turns it over 4-5 times. Dalton didn't have the opportunity to play in the postseason this year, but the Bengals almost won with AJ McCarron playing an awful game. We can only imagine what this new reborn Andy Dalton would have done.

Dalton has made the playoffs in every year of his career.

He makes them and then turns into Brian Hoyer.

• Upvote 1

I'm not confusing anything. Luck is better than Dalton straight up and always will be.

Both Luck is better than Dalton and Colts are better than Bengals.

Luck gets big money,commercials,print and fame...and already got a conference championship

Dalton gets...well, he's better than you think he is at least...lol.

Luck has not "got" a conference championship. He went to one, sure, but he got annihilated 41-7.

where are Daltons conference championship appearances? where are his multiple commercials?

where is the media saying his name over and over and over again? Dalton is an after thought.

I think he's getting a raw deal too but it is what it is

His fucking commercials? Get the fuck out, lmao.

Good god.

"All of Dalton's superior stats are meaningless."

Commercials > Stats, guise.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 2

The original afl teams? Wtf are you going on about. How does that make any difference to anything?

Just because one QB has more postseason success does not make them better.

Was Trent Dilfer better than Dan Marino?

• Upvote 1

My comparison is using logic- something with which you are clearly unfamiliar- to pose a similar analogy. If playoff success is your ultimate barometer of QB prowess, then Dilfer > Marino, because Dilfer has a ring and Marino does not.

Are you actually arguing that Trent Dilfer was a superior QB to Dan Marino? I just want to get that straight before I laugh you out of the building.

Edited by Thanatos

Let me explain it in a different way then.

You said Luck is better than him because of a 3-3 vs a 0-5 playoff record. That's the only reason you give outside of commercials and media saying his name.

Why exactly is Luck better than Dalton right now? If its merely because of his playoff record, then by your same exact logic, Trent Dilfer > Dan Marino. Make sense now? I'm trying to show you that your argument based on playoff record is complete bunk.

Edited by Thanatos

um..yes...3-3 in playoffs is and always will be far superior to 0-5 in playoffs.

pretty basic life math right there,buddy

Ok, then is Trent Dilfer better than Dan Marino, because Trent did better in the playoffs?

There is no greater disservice you can give to a player while evaluating him than to judge him based on team playoff wins in the single greatest team game on the planet. There are 22 fucking guys out there at all times. You can't just look at one guy and say "this is the problem." Cincinnati folds as a team.

I do think Luck is the better QB overall but Dalton is so much more careful with the ball.

if you want to make a comparison,here it is- Dalton will be a Dilfer without a SB win and Luck will be a Marino with a SB win at some point.

wait, do you really not think Dalton is better than Trent Dilfer was?

I didnt say that anywhere. I dont give a damn either if he is or not because both wont be remembered nationally lol

so what exactly did you mean by "Dalton will be a Dilfer"?

What are your thoughts on Andrew Luck?

I'm not a fan of him and I don't believe he's a Top QB either.

Jay Cutler..most stats in Bears QB history.. I like him,so screw you,he's like the John Cusack of the NFL and I like John Cusack

I've given you a lot of shit in other threads, so let me give you some credit, "the John Cusack of the NFL" might be the best ever description of Jay Cutler :rofl:

that said, Cam Newton at #13, and below Teddy fucking Bridgewater, is absolutely insane

• Upvote 1

I understand you're looking at next year, but the best predictor of future performance is past performance, and what, exactly, has Teddy shown that leads you to believe he'll be better than Cam Newton? Newton is already an established star, Teddy is an up and comer who (based on last season) is trending downward. Really, ignore my comments on Bridgewater, I just want to know what makes you think that there will be 12 QBs this season that will be better than last season's MVP. If you look through the posts in this thread you'll see I have Cam Newton as the #2 QB, clearly we disagree, but reasonable minds can differ, I want to know why you see him as #13.

Teddy Bridgewater ahead of $cam isn't insane.

Teddy Bridgewater had a down year last year for w/e reason and I highly doubt he can be worse than what he was last year after a very promising rookie year. He's got a great option in Treadwell now that suits his short passing preferences.

Hopefully, that offensive line holds up and doesn't just absolutely crumble like last year, and he's got a nice safety blanket with Rudolph as well, plus he's got another year of experience and a nasty playoff loss in his mouth. He's going to come out hungry and want to make a way for himself IMO.

Mr. $cam... I think we are going to see regression in him. The O-line is meh at best, but that doesn't really matter much to him. I see the problem of Benjamin coming back. Hear me out here...

Last year $cam's only option was Greg Olsen in the receiving game, Olsen got the ball a lot, but it was a result more often than not of taking what the defense was giving him. Now that Benjamin is back, you put him as an outside threat...something he hasn't had since his Steve Smith days. I feel we are going to see a lot of forcing of the ball downfield and as a result more turnovers. It'll be good, I just don't expect Cam to be as effiicient as last year...and oh...

His starting field position is going to blow, because honestly that defense is not going to be what it was last year. Norman is a big deal, taking out the opposing #1 and with that front 7 game opposing offenses little time, and unreliable options for the most part. I expect teams to really get after the Panthers with the short passing game, screens, and play action. If you are smart. You are going to commit to protecting your QB, and letting your big time playmakers go down the field and make the plays, because I do not believe in that secondary until proven otherwise.

So. To sum things up. I think Bridgewater will be a more EFFICIENT QB than $cam this year. Which...is what matters. Putting up stats means nothing if you keep turning the ball over.

• Upvote 1

Cam also has Devin Funchess as well, who by all accounts seems to be pushing Benji for the top dog slot. I think in terms of weaponry, Cam has the edge in a versatile receiving tight end and two huge playmaker receivers. Teddy has the disappointing Kyle Rudolph, the shifty Stefon Diggs and not much else, not to mention an offensive scheme that does not put him in a position to succeed. I think Bridgewater is a talented player, but a scheme built around Adrian Peterson is a scheme that does not play to Teddy's strengths of reading the defense from the shotgun, making adjustments, and manipulating the field to his favour.

I appreciate the time you took here to explain, and I actually agree with a lot of what you said there.

First, I completely agree that players are really close after the top five. I think that's true at most positions, once you get past the best players there are a lot of really good players that can be tough to distinguish.

It also seems, based on your comments about Cam's boost from his running stats, that you're only looking at passing ability. I don't agree with that because I think you need to take the full picture into account, but that's the fun part of these rankings, they're subjective and everyone can use whatever standards they want. If you are throwing out the running ability then I can understand why Cam would be a lot lower on your list than he is others.

you forgot Treadwell. He will matter.

I think he'll be a great fit for the offense with his good route running and excellent catch radius, but I'm not sure he's a Benjamin or Funchess type of talent, but neither is Diggs. Both are good players, imo, but that's also a result of the schemes they're playing in. Minnesota has great WR depth, which Carolina does not past Ginn, but those top 3 kind of lay waste to Minnesota's entire corps.

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

:rofl:

Campin's list is the best list.

• Upvote 1