Sign in to follow this  
Cherry

NCAA Discussing To Eliminate Kickoffs

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-early-discussions-begun-remove-kickoffs-college-football/

I'm mixed on this. I think power five teams should play it because its more enjoyable to the viewers, and they have a legitimate shot of making the NFL. But I'm not a purist to the point of saying we should have John Doe from Old Dominion with a .000001% chance of making the NFL out there getting injured and not having the money to pay it because someone wanted to keep the game the same at all levels.

Edited by Chernobyl426

After reading that Ricardo Lockette column, I'm all for this. My only concern is removing onside kicks from the game. If a team is down two touchdowns with a few minutes left and they score, they should have an opportunity of some kind to get the ball back.

Edited by SteVo

After reading that Ricardo Lockette column, I'm all for this. My only concern is removing onside kicks from the game. If a team is down two touchdowns with a few minutes left and they score, they should have an opportunity of some kind to get the ball back.

My feelings are partially influenced by the Lockette article, but I think the NFL does a good enough job with providing he players with state-of-the-art care and great financial compensation. A lot of the power five conferences guys have insurance policies anyways, and better care than most small school guys (though I think the NCAA should still pay a significant portion of the costs.)

It's kind of embarrassing that the NCAA would rather remove a part of the game than pay the players medical expenses when there is an injury.