FartWaffles

Peanut Tillman retires...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000675392/article/veteran-db-charles-tillman-retires-after-13-seasons

Veteran DB Charles Tillman retires after 13 seasons

After 13 seasons, two Pro Bowls and one Walter Payton Man of the Year award, cornerback Charles Tillman has decided to retire.

Tillman announced the news on Twitter via YouTube Monday, wrapping up a distinguished career where he played a big role on many great defenses. Drafted in the second round in 2003 by the Bears, Tillman developed into the leader of the secondary for the mid 2000's Bears defense that dominated the NFC. He started at least 14 games every season from 2005-2012, culminating in a season where he earned a first-team All Pro nod.

Injuries marred Tillman's final years in Chicago, but he wound up as a huge contributor during Carolina's road to the Super Bowl, starting 12 games for the NFC's top team. Tillman missed four games with a partially torn ACL before returning to play on the injury in Weeks 15-17 and fully tearing the ligament.

We'll remember Tillman as the quintessential zone cornerback under Lovie Smith in Chicago. He was physical, forced turnovers, and rarely gave up big plays. We'll also remember him for his patented "Peanut Punch" that he used to strip opponents of the ball. He has forced 44 fumbles, second only to Robert Mathis since Tillman entered the league. But Mathis isn't a fair comparison because he's a pass rusher. They are supposed to force fumbles. Tillman is the only defensive back in the top 10 of forced fumbles since 2003, nearly doubling Charles Woodson, the next closest defensive back.

Tillman won the 2013 award as the NFL's Man of the Year for his work impacting the lives of thousands of critically and chronically ill children and their families in the Chicago area Chicago through his Cornerstone Foundation. He was also a finalist for the award in 2011 and the winner of the NFL Salute to Service Award in 2012. The list of accomplishments by Tillman's foundation is awe-inspiring and overshadows the great work he did on the field during his career.

Goodnight, sweet prince. What a career! :clap:

And with him goes the worst nickname in the league.

And with him goes the worst nickname in the league.

Doug Martin disagrees
  • Upvote 2

Wish we could have got him a ring, but he was a class act and will be missed. I think if he wanted to play Carolina was going to give him one more shot, but it was always a long shot given the nature of his injury.

Never got the credit he deserved early in his career.

Doug Martin disagrees

Fair enough. I don't think there's any nickname out there that I hate more than "Peanut"

This really breaks my heart. From that crazy INT over randy moss early in his career to forcing two James Jones fumbles on snf. Dude was a straight playmaker. Never got the credit he deserved so I doubt he will ever get in the hall.