Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

Predict How the Divisions Unfold, Playoff Seeds

Do what the title tells you to do, folks.

AFC:

East:

Patriots

Jets

Bills

Dolphins

West:

Broncos

Raiders

Chiefs

Chargers

North:

Ravens

Steelers

Bengals

Browns

South:

Colts

Jags

Texans

Titans

NFC:

East:

Cowboys

Giants

Redskins

Eagles

West:

Seahawks

Cardinals

Rams

49ers

North:

Vikings

Packers

Bears

Lions

South:

Panthers

Bucs

Falcons

Saints

AFC Playoff Seeds:

1. Patriots

2. Ravens

3. Broncos

4. Colts

5. Steelers

6. Jaguars

NFC Playoff Seeds:

1. Panthers

2. Seahawks

3. Vikings

4. Cowboys

5. Cardinals

6. Packers

Bump. Let's get this going, folks!

And laughing at one small thing in a detailed post is what derails threads. We want to be an active forum, do we not? Reply to the topic.

Done using Razor's thingy, so I'm somewhat surprised with these results.

AFC Playoff Seeds:

1. :Steelers: 13-3

2. :Raiders: 12-4

3. :Jets: 11-5

4. :Texans: 11-5

5. :Pats: 11-5

6. :Bengals: 11-5

NFC Playoff Seeds:

1. :Packers: 15-1

2. :Seahawks: 13-3

3. :panthers: 13-3

4. :Cowboys: 10-6

5. :Vikings: 12-4

6. :Cardinals: 11-5

Wild Card

Cardinals @ Panthers

Like last year's NFCCG and their rematch earlier in the season, this one isn't close. Cam Newton throws for six touchdowns and runs for two more. After the game, Newton is overheard wishing they could play the Cardinals every game.

Vikings @ Cowboys

Mike Zimmer's defense is too much for the Cowboys vaunted offensive line after Elliot is shut down. This forces the Cowboys to turn to Jimmy Clausen, who was acquired after a midseason trade due to 3 Cowboys QBs going down with injuries. Clausen promptly throws pick sixes on an NFL-record 3 straight possessions.

Patriots @ Texans

Tom Brady is still pissed his suspension cost the Patriots the AFC East for the first time in millenia and takes it out on the Texans. He runs over JJ Watt for the game winning touchdown.

Bengals @ Jets

Another postseason, another loss for Cincy under Marvin Lewis.

Divisional

Panthers @ Packers

Cam Newton slips and injures himself on the frozen tundra in the third quarter after diving for a loose fumble. Derek Anderson is unable to do much of anything against the 15-1 juggernaut that is Green Bay.

Vikings @ Seahawks

The Vikings trail 23-16 deep in the 4th when Teddy Bridgewater makes an amazing play and runs for the TD. Unfortunately, Blair Walsh misses the XP. This prompts Russel Wilson to give an hour long speech about how God is on their side with tears running down his face.

Patriots @ Raiders

Derek Carr has the ball swatted out of his hands and the Patriots recover, seemingly sealing the win. The officials review it and determine the tuck rule applies. Malcolm Butler pick-sixes Carr on the next play.

Jets @ Steelers

Fitzy's magic holds true again, as the Jets take down the powerhouse Steelers after a series of five plays where LeVeon Bell, DeAngelo Williams, and Ben Roethlisberger are all injured when they are hit by errant passes from Fitzpatrick.

Conference Championships

Patriots @ Jets

Brady and the Patriots jump out to a 21-0 lead, but the Jets come roaring back. With the score 21-17 Patriots, deep in the 4th quarter, Fitzpatrick stumbles into his own offensive lineman and the ball is popped loose. It is temporarily recovered by Donta Hightower, before he steps on top of Fitzpatrick's beard. Hightower trips, and Chris Ivory plucks the ball from his descending hands and takes it all the way in for what turns out to be the game winning touchdown.

Seahawks @ Packers

The Packers decide to go for it on the 1 yard line three times in the first half. This gives them a 28-0 lead at halftime, and an immunity to bullshit comebacks by miracle plays.

Superb Owl

:Jets: 20 :Packers:30

Fitzpatrick's magic beard betrays him deep in the 4th as he underthrows a sure touchdown to Brandon Marshall. It instead lands in the lap of Ha Ha Clinton Dix, who returns it 84 yards for the game-sealing pick six.

Edited by Thanatos

Thanatos, you really love chalk, don't ya?

Chalk is only thing that matters this time of year.

I thought that was paper tigers, hot gas, and avoiding drug tests?

I thought that was paper tigers, hot gas, and avoiding drug tests?

Don't forget the comeback player who was a 1st rounder but never lived up to the hype, the superstar ACL tear, and the usual AFC North dark horse super bowl winner pick.

Thanatos, you really love chalk, don't ya?

Im actually unsure what you mean by this. Not sure if Im just tired or what, but I don't get the reference.

Like you don't have a single shit dick 8-8 team sneaking into the playoffs from a weak division, 10-6 is the weakest team there and that basically never happens.

Yup. Was just going by who won what matchup, wasn't paying attention to overall records till the end.

3, 4, 5, and 6 seeds in the AFC all with 11-5 records too.

working through that playoff predictor, adding to this as I go through:

I only have five teams starting 2-0: Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Kansas City, Green Bay, Carolina, and Arizona

New England gets Brady back week 5 with a 2-2 team, wins against Buffalo and Miami, losses to Arizona and Houston

Undefeated teams drops to four by the end of Week 5: Pittsburgh, Carolina, Arizona, and Green Bay (4-0 with bye)

Week 8 sees a matchup of unbeatens, which Carolina takes at home over Arizona, and then there were three

After week 8 we've got some dog fights: the AFC West is led by KC at 5-2 with Denver and Oakland right behind at 5-3, Dallas has a tenuous hold on the NFC East at 4-3, barely holding of Washington at 4-4, the AFC South has Indy and Houston are tied at 6-2, the AFC East is surprisingly tight with New England at at 5-3 and Miami at 3-4, though without the two losses by the Brady-less Patriots that's not the case

As it stands midway through the season, the AFC playoffs would be: 1) Pittsburgh (7-0); 2) Houston (6-2); 3) Kansas City (5-2); 4) New England (5-3); 5) Indy (6-2); 6) Denver (5-3)

In the NFC we have: 1) Carolina (7-0); 2) Green Bay (7-0); 3) Arizona (7-1); 4) Dallas (4-3); 5) Seattle (5-2); 6) Minnesota (4-3)

I have Tennessee at 3-5, which already matches our win total from last year, so let's look at that: I have us beating Minnesota week 1 (we've won week 1 the last two years, so why not?), Cleveland week 6, and Jacksonville week 8, all three wins come at home and feel like toss ups, so sure.

Speaking of Jacksonville, they're 2-5 at the midway point, that seems low so let's look at that one a little closer: losses to Green Bay, Indy (technically home London game), @Chicago, Oakland, and @Tennessee, wins over San Diego and Baltimore, that's just a tough opening schedule, it may even out.

Philly starting 1-6 seems a bit odd as well, I don't expect them to be that good, but I also don't expect them to be that bad, so let's look at it, I have them losing to: @Chicago, Pittsburgh, @Detroit, @Washington, and Minnesota, a few of those seem like toss ups, I'll leave it and see how it settles out.

In other bottom feeders: Cleveland is 0-8, New Orleans is 1-6, and Atlanta is 2-6, but those aren't weird enough to go back and I want to get on with this, so let's go.

Week 9 sees Pittsburgh get its first loss, on the road against Baltimore, that leaves Green Bay and Carolina as the last two undefeated teams

Week 12: Carolina finally falls on a West Coast trip to Oakland, and Cleveland gets its first win hosting the Giants, Green Bay is the last undefeated team

Week 13: Green Bay hits 12-0 and officially clinches the NFC North, they also get some breathing room for homefield as Carolina's West Coast troubles continue in Seattle, Carolina and Arizona are both 10-2, in the AFC we've got Pittsburgh holding the top at 11-1 and New England and Denver behind them at 9-3, Oakland is sitting in the last wild card spot at 8-4 and KC has been in a tailspin since midseason and sit at 6-6

Green Bay sees its run end in Week 14 against Seattle, leaving no more undefeated teams.

Going into week 17: Carolina has taken the top seed in a tiebreaker over Green Bay, both at 13-2, Seattle and Arizona sit right behind them at 12-3, all four have a playoff spot (GB and Carolina have clinched their divisions) and will get the two byes, the remaining two spots will go to the NFC East winner, where Dallas leads Washington by a game, both on either side of .500, I don't know where tiebreakers sit but they don't play each other Week 17, and the second wild card will either be Minnesota, 10-5, or Tampa, 9-6

In the AFC, Pittsburgh has clinched the AFC North and a bye at 13-2, but could be passed for homefield by Denver, who's clinched the AFC West at 12-3, New England has clinched the AFC East at 11-4 and could pass Denver for a bye, Indy holds a one game lead over Houston (9-6 to 8-7) I'm not sure where tiebreakers sit but they don't play each other Week 17, Cincy is sitting in a wild card spot at 11-4 and the two WCs will go to them, Oakland (10-5), Baltimore (10-5), or Miami (9-6) okay, let's go.

After week 17 action, here's what the playoffs look like:

AFC:

1) Pittsburgh (14-2)

2) Denver (12-4)

3) New England (12-4)

4) Indy (9-7)

5) Cincy (12-4)

6) Oakland (11-5)

NFC:
1) Green Bay (14-2)

2) Seattle (13-3)

3) Carolina (13-3)

4) Dallas (8-8)

5) Arizona (13-3)

6) Tampa (10-6)

Overall I think that's pretty reasonable, a little top heavy, but I'm not shocked by any of the final records I'm looking at, the Browns did pull up the rear at 1-15, which inflated the records of the rest of the AFC North, who all finished with 10+ wins, 8 teams finished with between 7 and 9 wins, there isn't a single record between 1-15 and 14-2 that at least one team didn't hit, this actually looks pretty decent.

Revisiting some of those teams I was concerned about mid-season: after a 3-5 start, Tennessee finished 4-12 as the schedule toughened up, Jacksonville finished 7-9, Philly wound up 4-12, which is about the low end of where I think they might finish, Atlanta finished 6-10, and New Orleans finished 2-14, bad but not shocking, anyway, on to the playoffs:

WC Round: Indy>Cincy, NE>Oakland, Arizona>Dallas, and Carolina>Tampa

Div Round: Home teams win - Denver>Indy, Pittsburgh>New England, Seattle>Arizona, Green Bay>Carolina

Championships: Pittsburgh>Denver, Seattle>Green Bay

:trophy: : :Steelers:

Like Thana, I found it hard to pick too many upsets, but I think I worked enough in and the final records all feel very possible, though I think it looks a little too much like last season, I do have the dark horse playoff team in Tampa, and the major disappointment in Buffalo (who I have finishing 3-13) so I actually think this is pretty decent, here's the link: http://nflplayoffpredictor.com/?L=EwRh1NPbxq4Ig+Y2kpjHFqeuTA-fCZKc1HMgrbFB7HGaWJcy9Vj+J13GlUIsUg2Mh544QA

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

:AFC:

1. Bengals (12-4)

2. Patriots (11-5)

3. Chiefs (10-6)

4. Texans (9-7)

5. Raiders (10-6)

6. Steelers (10-6)

In the hunt: Jaguars (9-7), Jets (8-8), Bills (7-9)*,Ravens (5-11)*, Broncos (8-8), Chargers (7-9)

*I have them losing a ton of close games

- AFCW/Chargers/Broncos - Very close division games, and I think we will all do well out of division. Tried to be objective, I think the Broncos are close to falling off of a cliff but they did the most with a really bad QB mechanically last year. :shrug: Chargers could land anywhere on the spectrum IMO.

Will add NFC later

Edited by BJABY

Do what the title tells you to do, folks.

*oochy proceeds to list playoff predictions too because he's an overachiever ;) *

:AFC:

East:

:Pats: 13-3

:Bills: 9-7

:Jets: 7-9

:dolphins: 2-14

West:

:Chiefs: 10-6

:Raiders: 10-6

:Broncos: 8-8

:Chargers: 7-9

North:

:Steelers: 11-5

:Bengals: 10-6

:Ravens: 7-9

:Browns: 2-14

South:

:jags: 9-7

1kmckU8.png7-9

mgmy6Sh.png 6-10

C53eohZ.png 5-11

:NFC:

East:

:Giants: 11-5

:Redskins: 7-9

:Cowboys: 7-9

:Eagles: 6-10

West:

:Cardinals: 13-3

:Seahawks: 13-3

:Rams: 7-9

:49ers: 1-15

North:

:Packers: 13-3

:Vikings: 13-3

:Bears: 7-9

:Lions: 4-12

South:

:panthers: 11-5

:Bucs: 10-6

:Saints: 6-10

:Falcons: 4-12

:AFC: Playoff Seeds:

1. :Pats:

2. :Steelers:

3. :Chiefs:

4. :jags:

5. :Raiders:

6. :Bengals:

:NFC: Playoff Seeds:

1. :Packers:

2. :Cardinals:

3. :panthers:

4. :Giants:

5. :Seahawks:

6. :Vikings:

Edited by CampinWithGordonRamsay

*oochy proceeds to list playoff predictions too because he's an overachiever ;) *

the link Razor posted went all the way through, and Thana did the same thing :p

though I did neglect to post full standings, so if you didn't click the link here you go:

AFCN

Pittsburgh 14-2

Cincy 12-4

Baltimore 10-6

Cleveland 1-15

AFCS

Indy 9-7

Houston 9-7

Jacksonville 7-9

Tennessee 4-12

AFCE

New England 12-4

Miami 9-7

New York 4-12

Buffalo 3-13

AFCW

Denver 12-4

Oakland 11-5

Kansas City 8-8

San Diego 6-10

NFCN

Green Bay 14-2

Minnesota 10-6

Detroit 9-7

Chicago 5-11

NFCS

Carolina 13-3

Tampa 10-6

Atlanta 6-10

New Orleans 2-14

NFCE

Dallas 8-8

Washington 8-8

Philly 4-12

New York 3-13

NFCW

Seattle 13-3

Arizona 13-3

San Francisco 4-12

Los Angeles 3-13

Edited by oochymp

Ah, you're right about Thana, missed that. But Razor never predicted playoffs :nope:

Also, DeAndre Hopkins holding out and Texans don't negotiate. Texans 5-11 confirmed :troll:

The playoffs are a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce.

• Upvote 1

Did... did you pee in the secret sauce?

not really actually.

it will be the same teams as always with a couple surprises.

secret sauce is just mayonnaise and what ever else you have left over ...or russian dressing :whistle:

Funny then how there's always five or six new teams.

The fact that you think a team that has won a division 3 straight years is a one hit wonder is hilarious.

Done wasting my time and brain cells talking to you.

You're an idiot and you won't be on this forum long because nearly everyone here can actually talk football intelligently.

The last four SBs have been represented by a team from the NFC that is not on your list of those teams that "always make the playoffs." Nice try, though.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

The Vikes have made the playoffs twice in the last six seasons. And they "always make the playoffs". Whereas Carolina, who has made the playoffs three straight years, isn't as consistent as those same Vikings. The Vikes are somehow more in the national "conscience", (the word you are actually looking for is consciousness), than the Panthers. You're just a troll at this point.

Still didn't answer about Seattle, San Fran, or Carolina, who won the NFC the last four straight years and none of those teams are in your list of teams that always make it.

In fact, since you say the other teams are just there to lose early, let's take a look at the last four NFC Championships and count how many of your "always there" teams are in them:

:49ers: vs :Falcons: - Zero.

:Seahawks: vs :49ers: - Zero again.

:Seahawks: vs :Packers: - Oh there's one.

:panthers: vs :Cardinals: - Zero again.

So you're 1 for 8. Lmao.

Just go away.

Edited by Thanatos

Yeah it has definitely sunk in that this is a waste of my time. You claim things from the 90s as if they have any bearing on today. You think the Vikings and Cowboys are perennial powerhouses that always make the playoffs and then link to things that prove otherwise without the slightest bit of understanding how you are disproving your own point. Carolina has as many playoff wins over the last 20 years (9) as Dallas (3) and Minnesota (6) combined.

"The Panthers would be 3rd or last place in any other division." Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

Edited by Thanatos

not really actually.

it will be the same teams as always with a couple surprises.

secret sauce is just mayonnaise and what ever else you have left over ...or russian dressing :whistle:

fun fact: the Patriots and Packers are the only teams with current playoff streaks longer than 5 years, if you reduce that number to 3 seasons you only add in the Broncos, Bengals, and Seahawks, interestingly, two of those three didn't make your list, which leads me to:

new ? its the same teams that rotate all the time.

Packers,Steelers, Colts, Patriots, Giants,Broncos,Cowboys.,Always make the playoffs. I dont care if they lose in the first round. They constantly take the spot from the 20 other teams.

of these seven teams, three missed the playoffs last season, and I don't know why you listed the Giants and Cowboys, they've each had one playoff appearance in the last five years

okay, so ignoring the fact that you seem to be changing your argument, what exactly do you think it proves that some subset of 7 out of 32 teams (almost 25% of the league) is always within the top 12 out of 32 teams?