Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Titans sign Andre Johnson

Per Rotoworld.com:

Titans signed WR Andre Johnson.
Johnson loves the AFC South. After spending his first 12 seasons with the Texans, Johnson joined the Colts last year only to have easily the worst season of his career. Johnson appeared to lose all of his separation skills and found it very difficult to get open in Indianapolis. He eventually lost two-wide snaps to Donte Moncrief and finished with a 41-503-4 line. Johnson is joining a crowded receiving corps in Tennessee, but the Titans could be looking at him more for leadership purposes with youngsters Dorial Green-Beckham, Justin Hunter, and Tajae Sharpe in need of guidance. Johnson and Harry Douglas could be competing for one roster spot. Jul 29 - 12:49 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about this signing, I haven't seen terms other than rumors of a two year deal. We have a lot of young, mediocre receivers so I guess it makes some sense to bring in an old, mediocre receiver (used to be great) who might be able to teach them a little bit. What I really don't like is that it's a two year deal, which means there's an expectation that he'll be on the roster, which makes it less likely that McBride makes the cut, though I think Johnson is more likely to bump Harry Douglas down, though Douglas is also under contract through 2017. We've got four definitely making the roster (DGB, Wright, Matthews, and Sharpe) and now four that I think should be on someone's roster this fall (Johnson, Douglas, Hunter, and McBride) basic roster math says it's really hard to keep more than six WRs, so two out of that second group won't make the cut. At the very least, this'll make camp a little more interesting for the WRs.

:mjlaugh:

EDIT:

Some say that receiver Roddy White’s expression of reluctance to sign with a non-contender means he has no viable options anywhere. That’s apparently not the case.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, White was — and still is — on the radar in Tennessee. But he won’t accept a minimum-salary offer. Andre Johnson did, which is why he was recently signed.

But with Johnson’s deal not guaranteed, the Titans can kick tires and, if they decide he can’t truly help the team, move on. Possibly back to White.

Other teams to watch for White include the obvious dot-connection to the Buccaneers, where former Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter is the head coach.

Regardless of where White ends up, it’s apparently going to take more than the one-year veteran minimum to make it happen. Before a team gets to the point where it’s willing to pay that much, it likely will need to evaluate what it currently has.

Edited by CampinWithGordonRamsay

Exotic. Smashmouth. Initiated.

14u0pw.jpg

• Upvote 2

Sadly enough, even old man version Andre Johnson with his stats of last year would have been our second leading WR behind DGB.

Veteran Andre Johnson Already Fitting in with Titans

“I really like the group,’’ Johnson said. “I think it’s a very talented group and one of the most talented groups I’ve been around actually. I think the biggest thing is them being young, having that veteran guy there to show them the ropes (helps), and show them what it takes to be in the league and play for a long time. As far as talent, the talent is there, there is no doubt in my mind. Those guys can go out there and make plays with anybody.”

obvious hyperbole aside, it's always a good endorsement coming from someone who's been in the league for 13 years