Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

Rams QB Battle Rages On

Rams QB Battle  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should Goff Start Week 1?

~Per PFT

:Rams:

Rams coach Jeff Fisher has talked about getting rookie quarterback Jared Goff into this week’s game against the Chiefs while the rest of the first team offense is still in the game and the fact that Goff took snaps with the starters during Wednesday’s practice suggests the team will put that plan into action.

That doesn’t mean that Goff is getting closer to pushing Case Keenum aside as the No. 1 quarterback on the depth chart, however. Goff took snaps with the backups as well and Fisher made sure to tell reporters that Keenum “is still clearly ahead” of Goff when it comes to that depth chart.

Gradual though his rise may be, Goff thinks he has “grown exponentially” since his first work with the team this spring.

“I feel like every day I am more comfortable, more fluid, more in a rhythm; stuff becomes more natural every day,” Goff said, via ESPN.com. “It’s been going well.”

The last quarterback to be taken No. 1 overall and not start his team’s opener was Alex Smith in 2005. The next couple of weeks should let us know if Goff has grown enough to keep that streak alive.

I like Chase Keenum, but there have been reports that Goff's transition to the NFL isn't going along as smoothly as most people expected to. Granted, he is the #1 pick...and the hype and expectations are up there, but you would think he would be able to beat out Keenum (no disrespect, he is a serviceable 3rd string QB)

Do you guys think Goff should be baptized by fire and start week one? Or nah.

There's no reason to David Carr the guy. but Jeff Fisher lives for 8-8, so he might just do it.

• Upvote 1

Every snap Case Keenum takes is wasted time. He's a noodle-armed career backup type of QB. Just play Goff and run the ball primarily and use easy play-action plays to work him into the passing game. Start him, but don't over-exert him or ask too much. They can have an effective offense based around Gurley.

• Upvote 2

The anti-Goff shit is overblown. He played fine last week. Put him out with the starters and let him play the first quarter with Gurley. Having your #1 pick hold a clipboard is a waste of time.

It's probably a bad idea to have your #1 pick sitting out,,, but then again, if he ain't ready, he ain't ready. Also a bad idea to throw him to the wolves before he has time to soak everything in.

it's Jeff Fisher, he's philosophically opposed to starting rookie QBs

Doubt Goff isn't ready by week 1. It's not like Case Keenum is a mastermind of the offense and Goff is a bumbling idiot.

Only in the most extreme cases do I support sitting a guy out. I get it, competition, blah blah blah, whatever.

You drafted him to carry the franchise, stop overthinking things and let him start.

• Upvote 1

I said yes but I dont care, really.

one of two things will happen to the Rams this year.

Theyll fall short again of the playoffs going 7-9 or 9-7.

or they will barely make a wildcard and lose the first round.

this will happen no matter who is starting for the Rams.

Odds are 3 different QBs will get starts this season for the Rams,as it goes along.

Haven't you heard? Fisher is not fucking going 7-9

Haven't you heard? Fisher is not fucking going 7-9

Or 8-8. Or 9-7. Or 10-6 for that matter.

I never saw a coach more adamant about finishing at 6-10 or worse.

Churry is rekt as fuck rite now. :yep:

"I'm not fucking going 7-9."

Killing your franchise QB is how you do it, dumbfuck.

Is it too late to join Jags?

• Upvote 1

Right from Jeff Fisher's mouth.

We already knew No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff wouldn't start for the Ramswhen they open up the season in just over a week. That job belongs to Case Keenum. It turns out, though, that Goff might not even serve as Keenum's backup. That job belongs to Sean Mannion, at least as of now.

After the Rams wrapped up the preseason Thursday night, Rams coach Jeff Fisher told reporters that if the season started today, Goff would be third on the quarterback depth chart. Here's a transcription of Fisher's Q&A, via theOrange County Register's Rich Hammond:

On Goff's development in preseason: "He's much better now than he was when we started. He has made significant progress. He's comfortable. He understands things. He has progressed."

On what Goff might need to do better: "We know what goes on in the practice field and in the meeting rooms, his understanding and his grasp of everything. He's confident with it right now. He's not ready, but he's really, really made significant progress."

On whether he would be confident with Goff as his backup now: "You know, I think it's going to take a little bit more time. That's not to say he can't be a two or start, but if were starting right now, I'd probably have Sean (Mannion) as the two. Because it's all about being patient with him. He's not frustrated or anything. He took some hits. He got hit pretty hard last week, and Sunday was a tough day for him, which you guys didn't see. But he did everything he needed to."

Edited by ATL

Fuck Jeff Fisher and the entire Rams organization for ruining Goff. We're not contenders. Put Goff out there. Trade Keenum for picks.

Edited by 7-9

Probably the best move they could've made. Goff looked like shit in the preseason and he needs to earn the job. Plus the Rams OL is awful and will just give him David Carr syndrome.

Fuck Jeff Fisher and the entire Rams organization for ruining Goff. We're not contenders. Put Goff out there. Trade Keenum for picks.

Bengals don't look too bad now...do they :kobe:

• Upvote 1

This is definitely not a good start for Goff. I'm sure he'll end up making starts this year though.

Jared Goff never was a sure thing, never was as pro-ready as advertised. He came out of a bullshit offensive system, has average at best arm talent when compared to other prospects in the same draft, especially Wentz who was better than Goff all along, and Lynch, who showed much more promise than expected for a player who came out of an even worse offensive system than Goff (as far as preparing players for the NFL is concerned--they're fine college offenses).

And let's not get started on Dak Prescott. ROFL Rams.

He was not the best QB prospect at any point, not for right now, not for the future. He threw some balls well when it was raining in California, and apparently that's what sold the Rams when every other measurable and preferred NFL trait was displayed by the two guys he was supposedly better than.

By no means is Jared Goff going to be a bust. On the contrary, I think he'll be quite good once the Fisher era is over after this season. He still has a legitimate chance to be a better quarterback than both Carson Wentz and Paxton Lynch, but right now those two leave him in the dust, and I think Lynch has a better chance to start soon because Trevor Siemian could implode whereas Case Keenum is perfectly capable of minimizing mistakes and keeping the Rams in games moving forward, even if he's got half of fucking Christian Ponder's arm.

Not only was this kid not ready for the next stage, he went to arguably the worst NFL environment next to fucking Cleveland, and now that Cleveland has Hue Jackson coaching them, their environment shits all over LA's.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Every trait? Lmao. Goff has infinitely better pocket awareness and reaction time than Wentz (and even Lynch for that matter). It's all mental stuff apparently, like learning the offense. In that aspect I'd honestly blame the coaching staff for not simplifying it for him to start the season. You build your system around your #1 overall pick, not the other way around.

Fisher is making a mess out of this situation and it's fucking up Goff's development. I'd agree, he went to the worst possible place when it comes to team environment and coaching.

Infinitely better? My turn to LMAO. Jared Goff is not infinitely better than Wentz and Lynch at anything.

Oh wait, he has an infinitely better chance to bust entirely than either of them. Your Rams got the worst of the top 3 QBs, easily.

• Downvote 1

Infinitely better? My turn to LMAO. Jared Goff is not infinitely better than Wentz and Lynch at anything.

Oh wait, he has an infinitely better chance to bust entirely than either of them. Your Rams got the worst of the top 3 QBs, easily.

:p I take it you don't understand that some players are better at certain things than others rather generalizing as overall better. I wouldn't ask Tom Brady to throw it 50 yards down the field. Does that mean he isn't OVERALL better than most QBs? Of course not. But there are a lot of guys out there with a better deep ball alone.

Regardless of which QB the Rams get they're going to be having him ride the bench behind Keenum because Fisher is a drooling fucktard.

Edited by 7-9