Cherry

Cherry's 2017 Draft Scouting Notebook: Inevitably Quitting After 25 Prospects

So at least for now I'm done with QBs, RBs, and WRs. Onto the grinders. TE and OL :cigar:

The grades for the QBs, RBs, and WRs are on the first post. Let me know if you want reports on anyone or have any questions guy. :yep:

Edited by 7-9

Can't wait to see your opinion on the corners..(Tàbor,King,Jones IV,White)

It's a shame I have to go through the linemen to get to the corners. I'm incredibly excited to watch tape on Tabor and King. I already have a sleeper picked out though. He's way way down the boards so I'll keep him hidden there until I get to corner breakdowns. :devious:

I'm glad you have Royce Freeman as a top 3 RB. Dude is a baller, runs hard every play, has great vision of what is in front of him and has a lot more agility than I would expect. I can honestly see him going mid to late 1st or top of the 2nd.

I'm glad you have Royce Freeman as a top 3 RB. Dude is a baller, runs hard every play, has great vision of what is in front of him and has a lot more agility than I would expect. I can honestly see him going mid to late 1st or top of the 2nd.

I think as the class grows on people we're going to see his stock move up. A lot of people just aren't seeing him for his ability as a pure vision runner right now, along with great size and solid speed/acceleration. His running style is very efficient. Very little wasted energy. I'd probably have him as a top 10 guy but he will likely be an early 2nd at this rate.

Just watched tape on rising BYU RB Jamaal Williams. Love the style of running. Dude has very nice ability to stop and go on defenders. Great cuts. Could potentially start at the next level even though he isn't of great speed or acceleration.

I request Barrett, Hooker, and Lattimore. pls

Edited by OSUViking

Okay I'll try to get Barrett and Hooker tonight. Don't know if I'll be able to get tape on Lattimore, but if I can I'll get him as well.

• Upvote 1

I have a Request Quincy Wilson CB Florida, Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State,

635818822983770866-USP-NCAA-FOOTBALL-OHI

The Basics

J.T. Barrett

Quarterback

Ohio State

Junior

Age 21

6'2"

225 pounds

Projected 4.52 40-yard dash

Positives

Very nice deep ball when he has time and gets to step up to deliver. Accurate, but not a guy who places the ball where only his receiver can get it. Shows flashes of greatness in passing game. As a pocket passer very solid, just needs the freedom to do it.

Negatives

Misses defenders sitting underneath. Pats the ball, which usually signals he is about to release it. Stares down receiver. Typically runs a lot of bootlegs and swing passes that aren't gonna be as successful at the next level. Timing seems to be off. Not a natural runner. Seems to be doing what the system creates, not what he can create. Will be limited at next level due to being a smaller frame guy. Not a big arm. Can hit 50 or so if he winds up, but when he tops out it floats way behind the receiver. One read & run. Terrible recognition on looming coverages, would be in hell trying to dissect a complex NFL defense. Ran a relatively simple offense which only required him to target one guy. Indecisive at times.

Overview

A solid project who has the arm and the natural passing talent between 0-40 yards that you would like to develop into a strong backup after a few years. He's benefiting a lot of the fact he doesn't have to cycle through more than one read before running, or running concepts where he has to throw to one of two guys who are within 10 yards of each other on the same side of the field. As a runner, he is vastly overrated. He's not physical like Cam and he doesn't jump off the screen as a sprinter who can rip one off. He's a mild-arm guy who showcases some NFL qualities like his accuracy and pocket awareness, but struggles because he isn't running what fits him as a player. He's a pocket passer, not a bootleg QB who swings out and throws on the run, or a guy who should be running the option.

Grade

2.9 - Depth Player

Projection

He's a high end project who could develop into a strong backup if he can transition his current game over to a pro offense. At the end of the day, I just don't know if he can do it because he was very rarely getting through a read or two before running. Over time he showed a little bit of ability to switch through, but he's inconsistent and misses some pretty basic stuff. He's also incredibly turnover prone due to his inability to see guys underneath and catch looming zone coverages. You put him up against a good pro defensive coordinator who puts the heat on him and he would get absolutely mauled. Third stringer who hangs around in the league for about half a decade or so, and maybe works his way up to a low-end back-up job.

(Marcus Baugh was a guy who kept jumping out on tape btw.)

Edited by 7-9
  • Upvote 1

I like to think that JT could make the transition to a pro QB. Probably just my fan bias, but yeah I'd agree right now he's not really an NFL QB.

He definitely has the accuracy and the pocket presence to do it, but it's tough to judge how he'd transition from a college offense with a shitload of bootlegs and options. He is also absolutely horrific at reading those underneath coverages. Any decent defense could sit a LB or CB in the flat and just wait on it. :p

I have a Request Quincy Wilson CB Florida, Raekwon McMillan ILB Ohio State,

I'll get to those tonight. I'm gonna be doing a SoundCloud on the WRs I've covered so far around 9 or so though.

Can't get tape on Lattimore or Wilson. Hooker tape was incredibly limited, so I can't do a full write-up. I got Hooker graded as an 8.1 and McMillan as a 4.8

Raekwon-McMillan-091314-480-wide-x-320-h

The Basics

Raekwon McMillan

Linebacker

Ohio State

Junior

Age 21

6'2"

243 pounds

4.70 projected 40-yard dash

Positives

Very solid at plugging the gaps. Can navigate side to side across the line. Able to pull away from blockers to grab a passing ball-carrier. Solid athlete. Strong heavy-handed tackler who can drag down bigger guys. Can be used as both an inside linebacker or a 4-3 OLB.

Negatives

Very suspect in pass coverage. Has the body to cover, but not the mind. Routinely gets burnt after not understanding coverage assignments. Not a pass-rusher like many people want him to be. Often gets locked up if he tries to blitz. Downhill tackler who can't get downhill like you'd want. Very limited in the role he can play for your team.

Overview

Think Maualuga with better side-to-side quickness. Solid low-end starter. Not a physical guy or a guy who will blow you up, but still strong enough to have an impact on plays. Good awareness when the game is horizontal, but struggles to go up and down the field with speed. Not the type to navigate traffic.

Grade

4.8 - Potential NFL starter

Projection

This largely depends on how you use him. I'd probably prefer him more as a 4-3 OLB than I would as an ILB solely because I don't trust him to hold down the middle of the field. Send him through the side and try to stuff runs or use him in very simple underneath coverages, but don't send him step for step with a TE or RB. He's not a bad low-end starter or a guy who could spot-start for a few weeks, but his coverage limitations and constant mistakes in recognizing plays will make him fall on some boards. I wouldn't be shocked if he goes early in the second round, but I'd probably have him towards the back end of the second round or the beginning of the third at this point.

(I liked what I saw from Lattimore and Conley as well.)

Edited by 7-9

Changing 3.99 - 3 from a grade of Consistent backup to Potential backup

Churry bullied me in to requesting Derek Barnett, Jalen Reeves-Maybin and Cameron Sutton :kobe:

• Upvote 1

Churry bullied me in to requesting Derek Barnett, Jalen Reeves-Maybin and Cameron Sutton :kobe:

I can only watch so much Greyson Lambert before I want to eat a bullet. :Suicide:

Edited by 7-9

B9315708650Z.1_20150101172824_000_G4K9IF

The Basics

Derek Barnett

Defensive End/Outside Linebacker

Tennessee

Junior

Age 20

6'3"

257 pounds

Projected 4.76 40-yard dash

Positives

Very good at holding the edge to stop the run. Draws double teams. Great at cutting around the edge. Solid tackler. Forces plays away from his side of the field by being an anchor. Ridiculous get-off speed. Pass-rushing abilities are insane, even though he is forced to run mostly anchor plays to stop the run. NFL size and physicality. Very good motor. Involved on nearly every play, rather than being a flash play kind of guy.

Negatives

Not a lot of moves at his disposal. Gets walled off too easily by linemen with good side to side movement. Not a guy you can drop into coverage. Too often doesn't take the proper angle to the QB. Not a powerful guy when it comes to driving forward against a player.

Overview

Solid three-down defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker. Should be playing off the line of scrimmage every play. Consistently impacts the game. Incredibly reaction time and burst coming out of his stance. Powerful enough to anchor the line on a run play. Versatile, even though he isn't a particularly great athlete. Not a flashy player in terms of having a lot of moves, but what he does he does very well.

Grade

7.2 - Potential All-Pro, Perennial Pro Bowler

Projection

While I don't know if I would necessarily have him in the top 5, he's definitely a top 15 player. It's very rare to see a guy who likely plays as a 3-4 OLB at the next level with the strength to hold the edge or the natural instincts that Barnett has. I'd probably have him somewhere around that 6-10 range, but it could fluctuate based on the rest of the class. Versatile 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE who will dominate the league for the next decade as long as he is drafted into an even slightly competent organization.

• Upvote 1

Can you do Desmond King CB Iowa and Sidney Jones IV CB Washington

• Upvote 1

jalenreevesmaybinsmall.jpg

The Basics

Jalen Reeves-Maybin

Linebacker

Tennessee

Senior

Age 21

6'0"

225 pounds

Projected 4.72 40-yard dash

Positives

Very good side-to-side movement. Understands which gaps to go after. Decent tackler. Great play recognition. Would fit well as a 4-3 LB regardless of being inside or outside. Very good instincts. Knows how to avoid blockers as he moves to go fill gap where RB is coming. Great at navigating traffic.

Negatives

Often dives too low trying to take a guy at the ankles. Doesn't always wrap up. Leads with head too much, risking injury. Not a versatile guy. Wouldn't work as well in a 3-4. Not great in coverage. Sometimes slows down mid-play.

Overview

Solid weapon as a 4-3 LB who can slide across the formation once the play begins and plug holes to clog the RB. Able to weave his way through potential blockers. Not the greatest tackler in terms of form but gets the job done very well. Liability in pass coverage so probably not a guy you want out there on third down unless he's blitzing.

Grade

5.2 - Consistent NFL starter

Projection

Right now I have him graded out as a mid to late second round pick, but with more players being covered he's probably going to drop into that third round area. He's a solid player, but very limited in what you can use him for. Think of an Andrew Billings type who dropped because he wasn't a versatile guy. That's largely why I have Reeves-Maybin this far down. He's gonna be taken as a guy who comes out on first and second down to stop the run and cause havoc on blitzes, not as a full-time starter who can match up in coverage against a TE.

Edited by 7-9

cam-sutton-wear-7.jpg

The Basics

Cameron Sutton

Cornerback

Tennessee

Senior

Age 21

5'11"

186 pounds

Projected 4.50 40-yard dash

Positives

Very good at tracking the ball and making a play on it. Solid at blowing up screens and short routes. Fairly athletic, can run with most receivers in terms of speed and acceleration. Decent tackler.

Negatives

Too often gets burnt by a nice double move. Not a physical guy, will get pushed around by bigger receivers. Not particularly great in run defense, doesn't recognize when it's a run play. Relatively relaxed in coverage rather than playing man tight.

Overview

Solid tackler and #2 guy who can shadow a team's secondary threat. Great recovery ability and screen/checkdown recognition. Struggles with identifying run plays and dealing with incredibly good route-runners. Not a bad pick, but not a guy you send out as your #1 cornerback.

Grade

5.0 - Consistent NFL starter

Projection

Late second to early third rounder. I'd be hesitant to take him early due to how prone he is to getting roasted by good route-runners, but his game is pretty well-rounded and he's not a bad pick to pair across from a well-defined star corner. Will likely fall a little bit due to injury concerns, but his draft stock should be relatively fine as long as he makes it back by combine time.

Edited by 7-9

Is there any hope for ya boi Mitch Leidner?

635821737144069337-IOW-1031-iowa-fb-vs-m

The Basics

Desmond King

Cornerback

Iowa

Senior

Age 21

5'11"

200 pounds

Projected 4.53 40-yard dash

Positives

Very cerebral player. Understands the game very well in terms of positioning and decision-making. Solid tackler. Great understanding of zone concepts. Plays his role incredibly well. Not going to give up a big play. Seamlessly shifts assignments. Watches the quarterback's eyes.

Negatives

Doesn't play tight at all. Content to give up 5-10 yards at a time. Not a lockdown guy. Incredibly conservative. Too far away to make a play on the ball in many cases. Not the greatest hands.

Overview

Great awareness and patience for the game, but prone to get eaten up underneath. Safe conservative player who won't give up a big play. Solid tackler. Understands zone coverage like a 10-year vet. Not the guy you want as a #1 cornerback solely because he wouldn't be able to play man-to-man against a star receiver, but still a great #2 and consistent defender.

Grade

5.4 - Consistent Starter

Projection

I have him as a second rounder right now, but I could see it going either way. A team that runs a lot of zone would probably have him as a first rounder solely because of his intelligence for the position and his solid tackling abilities. A team that runs a lot of man could have him as a third our fourth rounder because he isn't quick reacting to passes on the outside and has a tendency to get eaten alive by playing too far off the ball. Some things to like and some things to hate.

UW%20Huskies%20Football%20vs%20Oregon,%2

The Basics

Sidney Jones IV

Cornerback

Washington

Junior

Age 20

6'0"

180 pounds

Projected 4.52 40-yard dash

Positives

Great instincts. Tight man to man coverage. Good ball skills. Versatile. Able to play off coverage or press a receiver. Ferocious player when he makes contact. Looks to make the big play. Great reaction time. Swats ball away. Follows QB's eyes very well. Usually makes plays with anticipation. Insane recovery speed over the top. Doesn't even have to turn around to know when the ball is behind him, just goes based off of the receiver's actions. Incredibly rare awareness. Has closing speed coming back on short routes. Returner athleticism. Can run literally right beside a receiver without committing interference.

Negatives

Not a big corner. Often rounds off when trailing guys who just caught the ball on comeback routes, which allows separation. Not overwhelming in getting off blocks on run defense.

Overview

There is one play in particular that stands out to me. Sidney Jones is running down the field covering two guys with no help. This is all based on 2015 tape, but if he is still the same player as he was in 2015, he is without a doubt the best cornerback I have ever scouted. He is an absolute god in coverage. He can run step for step with receivers and not commit interference despite being an inch from them. He has insane ball skills and adjusts incredibly quickly. He's not a big or physical guy, but he plays with plenty enough fire to make up for it when it comes to tackling. He could play both man or zone, which is incredibly rare at the next level. He is ridiculously athletic, and has the ability to shift all over the field. Could cover a #1 receiver or a slot guy. Hell, he may even be able to hold down a top-tier tight end.

Grade

9.1 - Hall of Fame caliber player (And he has room to rise up to like a 9.4 if he looks improved in run defense in 2016 tape)

Projection

Based solely on what I've watched, and barring some insane prospect overtaking him, he should be the #1 overall pick in the 2017 draft. Regardless of your system, he can fit and be a top 5 corner straight out of the gate. He'll probably be a top 10 guy with a bunch of more important positions overtaking him, but I'd trade all the way up to the top 3 to get him. He's fucking special.

Edited by 7-9

hi-res-66416d3c8d888601a4cf5700dec5b8f5_

The Basics

Mitch Leidner

Quarterback

Minnesota

Senior

Age 22

6'4"

237 pounds

Projected 4.95 40-yard dash

Positives

Progresses through reads well. Not prone to making mistakes. Very solid throwing motion. Content to work his way up the field rather than force unnecessary passes. Very nice spiral. Natural ability to step up in pocket and deliver when he has time. Understands the game very well despite being limited physically. Safe player.

Negatives

Isn't consistent with the follow-through, which leads to some occasionally inaccurate passes. Nervous in the pocket when it starts to collapse. Not a natural scrambler. Average arm. Tendency to throw downwards not forwards. Has a tendency to overthrow guys on intermediate routes in the center of the field. Not an placement passer. Will get the ball to the receiver, but it won't be in a safe spot.

Overview

Safe and consistent backup tier quarterback who could come in for a few games and manage to get a win or two on a talented team. Not going to make many mistakes, but not going to make many big plays either. Already very developed in his throwing motion and ability to step up in the pocket, but occasionally has a mental error or a slight mistake. Not a bad scrambler in terms of vision but too slow to consistently pick up yards. Not a great arm talent, but is probably a top 5 QB in this class in terms of pro readiness.

Grade

4.3 - Consistent Backup, Potential Starter

Projection

Likely a third or fourth rounder who is taken with the expectation of holding down the fort as the team's backup QB for the next decade. Very solid pro ready guy who a lot of teams are gonna fall in love with. Not sure if he'll be taken any lower than the third round with expectations of starting, but if a team really likes him and wants to build around a safe game manager type, I wouldn't be shocked to see him at the back of the second or early third.