Cherry

Cherry's 2017 Draft Scouting Notebook: Inevitably Quitting After 25 Prospects

I just remembered I get to scout 10 more corners with first round buzz. This corner class is immaculate. :wub:

Finished the WRs. Onto the TEs. Now have like 165 of 575 total done.

Can you do Donta Foreman Running back they say hes a 3rd running back

Can you do Donta Foreman Running back they say hes a 3rd running back

I watched a little bit of Foreman tape and I'm gonna just do a brief little review rather than a full report since he's not a senior & I don't think he's good enough to declare.

He's basically a sluggish power back who doesn't break tackles much or really fight tough in the trenches. He's more of a guy who runs just fast enough to beat LBs and is big enough for arm tackles to shrug off sometimes. Not a bowling ball or a power back who picks up speed down the field, just a guy who maintains a consistent average running speed wherever he is. I had him graded around a 3.3 to a 3.7 last time I graded him. I'll watch some newer tape and let you know if I change my mind. If I do I'll write up a report.

Adoree Jackson.

LuBrNpGK.jpg

The Basics

D'Onta Foreman

Running back

Texas

Junior

Age 20

6'1"

249 pounds

Projected 4.58 40-yard dash

Positives

Consistent speed throughout his runs. Doesn't need to build up speed to have power. Heavy body type allows for consistent forward progress. Turns two yard gains into five yard gains when he is going forwards. Very bulky frame means tough to wrap up. Most tackles come from low hits on legs. Very rare to see a solo tackler.

Negatives

Middle of the pack blocker. Not a speedster, even though he can outrun most linebackers. Doesn't really ever turn on the burners. Same consistent speed regardless of if he is hitting the LOS or sprinting thirty yards down the field. Easy to trip up low due to awkward balance. Not a good receiver.

Overview

Good workhorse back who can get 25-30 carries a game and churn out 3.5 to 4 yards a carry week in and week out. Not a guy to have out on passing downs. Not a powerful runner but a big runner. Will be easier to take down at next level against pro linebackers who have better size.

Grade

4.8 - Potential starter, consistent backup

Projection

Personally I wouldn't take him in the first two rounds due to his limitations as a three-down back and his inability to break away on runs, but he's a solid late day 2 pick who can maintain a solid YPC over the course of 5-7 years despite a heavy workload. Wouldn't be shocked if a team bites early round 2 though in hopes of imitating the Cowboys OL-RB setup.

adoree-jackson-ncaa-football-arkansas-st

The Basics

Adoree Jackson

Cornerback

USC

Junior

Age 21

5'11"

185 pounds

Projected 4.43 40-yard dash (I think he's like a 4.3 personally)

Positives

Incredible recovery speed. Can run step for step with any receiver. Can play slot or outside, as long as he is playing man. One of the best run support CBs I've seen. Great tackler. Good awareness. Good hands. Athleticism for special teams, though vision is a question as a returner. Track athlete speed in open field. Can chase down ballcarriers from way behind. Ridiculous speed off the edge on blitzes. Solid size.

Negatives

Questionable decision-making at times in coverage. Misunderstands assignments and covers wrong places sometimes. Limited as a zone corner. Doesn't always get his head around for the ball. Can be a bit too handsy at times.

Overview

One of the most athletic defenders in this draft, and one of the most athletic corners in years. Incredible physical attributes, but mental game isn't fully developed. Best when put out on an island. Versatile enough to play anything from slot CB to safety. Multi-tool; can do a bunch of different things well. Potential special teams threat but needs coached up.

Grade

6.5 - Potential Pro Bowler

Projection

In my opinion he is worth a first round pick, but a lot of people are going to be turned off by the fact he isn't able to play zone well and is still developing in his mental abilities. I've heard a lot of buzz for the second round, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him be a late first, or even a mid first if someone really falls in love with him.

• Upvote 1

lukefalksmall.jpeg

The Basics

Luke Falk

Quarterback

Washington State

Junior

6'4"

203 pounds

4.87 projected 40-yard dash

Positives

At times goes through reads quick and smooth. Accurate when he's heated up is near untouchable by another prospect. Great height and command of the pocket. Very good at sliding around inside the pocket without using too much energy. Very good arm but not abusive. Knows when to throw a fastball and when to put one in the basket. Holds onto the ball despite taking hits.

Negatives

Inconsistent in nearly all pieces of his game. Will sometimes get bogged down and hesitate through reads. Very hit or miss hot/cold type of player. Will heat up for a stretch and then be unable to hit anything for a stretch. Improper throwing motion where he releases the ball too low allows for accuracy issues. Locks onto one target too often and makes it blatantly obvious for defenders where he is going with the ball. Not athletic by any means, so he is a limited scrambler. Scared to pull the trigger way too often when he is getting beat up on.

Overview

I used this comparison in the shoutbox and I'll use it again here. Luke Falk is Matt Ryan if you made Ryan 50% more inconsistent. Tall, somewhat lanky guy who can maneuver in the pocket well and command the field well. Solid arm strength. Knows when to use it, but not to abuse it. But Falk is inconsistent as they come with his reads and decision-making. Sometimes he gets gun-shy and refuses to make the throws he needs to. Sometimes he locks onto a guy and throws regardless of what is in his way. Sometimes he just misses coverages and throws it right into traffic. Also the issue with mechanics needs solved ASAP or he'll keep misfiring on deeper passes because he short-arms it.

Grade

4.1 - Potential starter, consistent backup

Projection

After watching some Falk tape from 2016 I was starting to actually enjoy the guy. He made some nice throws and started off well. Then he slowly went downhill and transformed into the awkward lanky system QB I know and love. He has potential to develop into a starter down the road but he has so much to clean up in his game I doubt he goes incredibly early. Due to the need for QBs and the potential to be a Matt Ryan clone, I wouldn't be shocked if he sneaks into the middle of day 2. My expectation would be late third or early fourth, but the call for QBs is as powerful as ever.

• Upvote 1

Be interested to see your opinion on Pharaoh Brown.

Be interested to see your opinion on Pharaoh Brown.

I haven't found any legitimate tape on him yet. He's under my waiting list.

18618846-mmmain.jpg

The Basics

Jamal Adams

Safety

LSU

Junior

Age 21

6'1"

214 pounds

4.54 projected 40-yard dash

Positives

Incredibly quick in coverage. Good play recognition and understanding of when to change who he is covering. Good reaction time. Puts it all into every tackle. Solid wrap-up tackler is incredibly consistent. Very good ball skills. No huge flaws in his game.

Negatives

Skinny frame. Probably realistically plays at 190. No truly defining aspects of his game that turn him from good to great.

Overview

Very well-rounded prospect who has no huge flaws in his game outside of being slightly undersized and drawing questions about his ability to consistently make the tackle at the next level. He's incredibly balanced and has almost everything you look for in a safety, even if nothing in particular makes him a top 5 type of pick.

Grade

7.6 - Potential All-Pro, Perennial Pro Bowler

Projection

Due to the class being so strong, I don't think Adams will go top 5, and he might not even go top 10. That said, I would be shocked if his name isn't called the first night. At worst he's a 15-20 overall pick that develops into a 7 to 10 year starter.

0ap3000000514196.jpg

The Basics

Marcus Maye

Safety

Florida

Senior

Age 22

6'0"

207 pounds

4.54 projected 40-yard dash

Positives

Sticks to assignments. Can be used as deep center-fielder or come up and blitz. Great at anticipating snap.

Negatives

Arm-tackler. Not a physically imposing player in the run game. Undersized in general for a safety. Plays hesitant in run defense. Often misjudges where a ball-carrier will head to the hole at.

Overview

Middle of the pack safety who plays smart but isn't special in any particular area of his game. Slightly undersized for the position and isn't effective enough in the run game to be an good pro safety.

Grade

3.8 - Potential Backup, Depth Player

Projection

When I scout safeties I used to look at the decision-making abilities and valued smart safeties. My opinion has shifted a lot because of guys who weren't athletic enough to play the position were getting taken way late in the draft. I value athleticism and size a lot more now. Maye would be a guy who I would love using my old method, but he just doesn't check the physical boxes to be a good safety at a pro level. I'd put a fifth or sixth round grade on him for backup value and potential as a special teams guy. A team likely drafts him around that area.

Dude maye is a 1st Round projection know way he falls to the 6th round

tw.jpg?w=1000

The Basics

Tim Williams

3-4 Outside Linebacker/4-3 Defensive End

Alabama

Senior

Age 23

6'3"

236 pounds

4.76 projected 40-yard dash

Positives

Excellent speed off the edge. Great anticipation of the snap. Powerful enough to bulldoze through linemen, but agile enough to get around them. Very nice spin move, but has a couple of weapons he can use to get by. Great bend around the edge. Very disruptive and sniffs out the quarterback. Great motor.

Negatives

Tends to get locked up too easy by guys with good hand placement. Not great at accelerating after stopping mid-play. Too often gets outrun by the scrambling QB. Not the greatest tackler. Limited as a run defender, and isn't an anchor for the line. Mostly only effective as a 3-4 pass rusher.

Overview

Very effective 3-4 outside linebacker who rushes the passer. Incredible get-off speed and disruptive force when he is coming downhill. Can do damage in the run game, but not always consistent and not effective unless in the right scheme. Brings it every snap and has an incredibly high motor. Slightly slow coming out of breaks and trying to chase people down.

Grade

6.8 - Potential Pro Bowler

Projection

The demand for effective pass-rushers is incredibly high, and that will help Williams stock. That said, being very limited in his ability to play as anything but a pass-rushing 3-4 OLB will hurt his stock. I expect him to be taken somewhere near the back of the first round or near the beginning of the second round, but I wouldn't be shocked if a team falls in love with him and goes after him between picks 12-20. He would certainly take over as a top of the food chain pass-rusher.

mikemcglincheysmall.jpg

The Basics

Mike McGlinchey

Tackle

Notre Dame

Junior

Age 22

6'7"

291 pounds

5.22 Projected 40-yard dash

Positives

Very good hand placement. Pro caliber strength. Excellent use of leverage to stand up defenders and pin them backwards. Drive defenders backwards rather than just stopping them where they contact. Pivots hips to the outside to redirect momentum from edge rushers, this allows him to protect the edge without having great side-to-side movement you'd only find in a lighter guy. Rarely gets caught holding due to the good hand placement mentioned earlier.

Negatives

Often confused on stunts and double-teams. Sometimes overshoots the inside of edge defenders when blocking for the run, which allows DEs to collapse in from the edge. Not a second level blocker. Indecisive at times and rather slow for a pro LT. Can get beat around the edge at times by guys who have speed and bend.

Overview

Very pro-ready pass blocker who is a technical wizard. Rarely makes mistakes due to bad hand placement or understanding of leverage. Not an athletic guy, but a very strong one. Gets underneath the pads and drives defenders backwards rather than just holding them in place. Very good ability to redirect defenders, but not always able to stop an explosive outside guy.

Grade

7.1 - Potential All-Pro, Perennial Pro Bowler

Projection

Think Joe Thomas. Very strong and very smart pass blocker who can hold his own in the run game. These types of tackles are very rare to come by. While he may not have the ceiling of a more athletic blocker, he is coming in at a pro bowl caliber level. If he does indeed declare this year I would personally take him around 8-15 overall. A team that is in dire need of a LT to guard their franchise QB? They'd take him top 5.

Edited by Chernobyl426

Dude maye is a 1st Round projection know way he falls to the 6th round

I used to value the knowledge side of safety way more than most NFL scouts do. Most have a huge emphasis on athleticism and pure skill over the more mental side of the position. I would normally have Maye rated highly, but I've been pretty bad at scouting safeties so I switched my method of grading them. I don't think he'll fall that far based on everything I've seen in the media, but I will never alter my grades or opinions based on what the media says. I only write what the tape tells me. The tape tells me Maye is an undersized safety who in inconsistent in the run game and often misplaced in the passing game.

Isaac+Asiata+hGexXC8YAtFm.jpg

The Basics

Isaac Asiata

Guard

Utah

Senior

Age 23

6'3"

323 pounds

5.38 projected 40-yard dash

Positives

Great short-range burst. Powerful run blocker. Vicious when making contact, goes in 100% every play and seeks out punishing the defender. Can absolutely maul defenders in the run game. Really good leverage. Plays incredibly short which allows him to stick DTs under the shoulder pads and halt them in place.

Negatives

A bit too top-heavy, which throws off the balance. Tends to get turned around too much. Doesn't have good hand placement. Doesn't always lock onto a defender and stick to them, which causes him to straight up miss guys at times.

Overview

Powerful and stout guard who can anchor an offensive line in the run game. Absolutely fearless and loves to get into a brawl each play. Very good in short spaces, but not a guy who can maintain high amounts of pop going down the field. Not a star in the passing game, but not terrible either. Can look terrible if he whiffs on a defender, but usually can maul guys and pin them away from the play.

Grade

5.1 - Consistent NFL starter

Projection

His issues in the passing game are gonna really damage his value as a top guard prospect, but he is one of the most dominant run blocking guards in this class. I would not be shocked to see a team like the Rams or Colts select him in the second or third round of the upcoming draft. He's an absolutely beast in the trenches and could improve any run game by a huge margin.

Edited by Chernobyl426
  • Upvote 1

hi-res-855293c6b8144e7bc033db622f50a106_

The Basics

Malik Hooker

Safety

Ohio State

Sophomore

Age 20

6'2"

205 pounds

4.52 projected 40-yard dash

Positives

Incredibly rangy. Very quick. As a pure athlete he has some of the best abilities in all of college football. Solid tackler, even if he is slightly small for a traditional safety. Incredibly instinctive player who understands where to go for the ball. Has speed to make up for mistakes in coverage. Very good at reading quarterback's eyes and judging passes in the air. Very well-rounded.

Negatives

Not a huge factor in the run game. Typically lets his front seven do the dirty work and hovers 5-10 yards behind the action in case the ball carrier sneaks through. Not always great running step for step with receivers inside the 20, and will often end up trailing them.

Overview

Ed Reed reincarnated. Absolutely electric ballhawk to let roam at the back end of your defense. Very solid coverage abilities for a safety, and is athletic enough to make plays where you would least expect him to. Concerns about ability in run game, but skill as deep safety make up for that.

Grade

8.1 - Perennial All-Pro

Projection

There is no doubt in my mind that Hooker should be a top 10 pick, and maybe even top 5 come April. He's one of the best coverage safeties in years and has the physical talent to make up for any flaws with technique. He's worth every bit of a top pick, and a team that need serious help in the secondary should consider moving up to get him high.

• Upvote 2

IMG_6345-530x353.jpg

The Basics

Gareon Conley

Cornerback

Ohio State

Junior

Age 21

6'2"

185 pounds

4.50 Projected 40-yard dash

Positives

Very long style of movement. Uses hips to pivot in coverage incredibly effectively. Combined with height it allows him to have decent impact on two receivers at the same time. Very quick adjustments. Very good reaction time. Good recovery speed.

Negatives

Not a powerful tackler. Drifts from assignment sometimes. Plays off coverage a bit too much when trailing a receiver, allowing catches that normally would not be made. Too physical at times when going down the field, will draw flags.

Overview

Incredible radius of impact in coverage. Very loose and flowing athlete. Not the greatest in run defense, but can hold his own. Very handsy and ineffective down the field against bigger receivers, but can recover well when burnt. Would most likely best fit in a defense that uses him on short zone coverages and provides help over the top.

Grade

6.1 - Potential Pro Bowler

Projection

A team that really falls in love with his range and ability as a zone receiver will likely take him in the top 20, but I would be hesitant. Much like Desmond King, he trails too far off of receivers at times and has a tendency to play too physical when asked to play deep down the field. If you like him for your scheme, taking him between 15-20 isn't a bad move. If you don't think he'll fit, he shouldn't be touched until at least late round 2.
Edited by Chernobyl426

chadkelly.jpg

The Basics

Chad Kelly

Quarterback

Ole Miss

Senior

Age 22

6'2"

209 pounds

4.76 projected 40-yard dash

Positives

All-pro type of arm. Able to thread the needle in incredibly tight spaces. Very good pocket presence and ability to withstand incoming pressure. Fearless in the pocket. Gunslinger with the talent to do it, but usually avoids pushing the limit too much. Goes through reads well, and can check through up to four guys if he has a decent amount of time in the pocket.

Negatives

Misses underneath coverages at times, which allows linebackers to jump the pass. Too often doesn't see when a defender is coming to make a play on the ball, and has tunnel vision once he decides to make the pass. Significant concerns about off-the-field issues and is very well-known to be a bit of a wild child. Coming off a serious knee injury, which could sideline him for part of his rookie year if recovery doesn't go well.

Overview

Kelly has one of the most talented arms in the class, and has great mechanics to go with it. That said, he needs to fix up his game mentally to better read players lurking around his target. He also needs to prove himself mature enough to be a locker room leader, or at least, not a locker room distraction. If he develops properly, he is the best quarterback in the class, and that includes Deshaun Watson at the top of his potential.

Grade

6.8 - Potential Pro Bowler

Projection

While I have a very high grade on Kelly, most teams aren't going to even consider him in the first two days, and many will take him off their board entirely. My grade is solely a judgement of his talent, not his off-the-field concerns. I think some team will be willing to throw a fifth or sixth round pick at him and pray he fixes his off-the-field issues and rehabs well, but he needs a great situation to help him succeed. I don't know if he'll ever reach his potential, let alone start in the NFL.

Screen-Shot-2016-10-03-at-2.16.35-PM.png

The Basics

Mitch Trubisky

Quarterback

North Carolina

Junior

Age 22

6'3"

209 pounds

4.74 projected 40-yard dash

Positives

Incredibly quick going through reads. Somewhat awkward mechanics for his height, but consistently places the ball well. Very aware in the pocket, and has the ability to roll out effectively. Not the greatest scrambler, but can pick up 5-10 yards and slide consistently. Very rarely misses lurking coverages. Plays a very safe short-medium range offense that limits turnovers. Plays incredibly tall in the pocket. Move the chains consistently.

Negatives

Not as high of a ceiling as guys like Kizer and Kelly. Very average arm. Not a guy who can place it where only the receiver can get it, just places it in the receiver's catch radius and hopes for the best. No truly great part of his game outside of being efficient and safe. Not a lot of velocity on his passes. Doesn't really have a "fastball".

Overview

Very safe West Coast offense style passer. Short to intermediate routes that rely on the receiver picking up yardage. Moves the chains no matter what. Can scramble if necessary. Goes through reads like a pro quarterback. Somewhat awkward motion that doesn't allow maximum velocity on his passes.

Grade

6.2 - Potential Pro Bowler

Projection

Trubisky is the perfect example of a quarterback who is a great pick in the back of round 1 or the early going of round 2 being talked about as a potential top 5 pick solely because of the need for the position. I personally wouldn't touch him until pick #25 or later, but a team that is desperate for THE GUY would be willing to drop a huge pick on him. I wouldn't be shocked if a team picks him in the top 10 just out of need, though I don't think he'll be a top 5 pick at this point.
Edited by Chernobyl426

636095678175849338-USATSI-9516598.jpg

The Basics

Baker Mayfield

Quarterback

Oklahoma

Senior

Age 21

6'1"

209 pounds

4.71 projected 40-yard dash

Positives

Incredibly safe passer who rarely makes mistakes. Goes through reads at a pro level, but nothing extraordinary. Decent escapability in a collapsing pocket. Very clean and pro-ready mechanics that allow him to get the most out of his arm. Rarely takes chances he doesn't have to, and would rather throw it away than throw into double coverages and risk interceptions. Good scrambler. Calm under pressure situations, such as pocket getting torn up.

Negatives

Very underwhelming arm. Not a particularly accurate guy. Much like Trubisky, he puts the ball in the receiver's catch radius, not in the safest place possible. This makes his style of play much less effective at the pro level where coverage is stiffer and the quarterback has to be able to thread the needle. Screams career backup physically.

Overview

Very safe check-down passer who can scramble well. Goes through reads like a decent NFL quarterback, but doesn't blow you away with how quick he is. Understands coverages well and can account for defenders away from the target when he makes a deeper pass. Alex Smith reincarnate if there ever was one.

Grade

5.6 - Consistent NFL Starter

Projection

From everything I've seen, there are a lot of scouts that are incredibly sour on Mayfield right now. I think a lot of it is because we're not really in the deep stages of the draft yet, there hasn't been a true deep dive on how prospects fit for an organization. A guy like Rudolph chucking it 70 yards downfield does a whole lot more for scouts right now than a safe Alex Smith type who dinks and dunks his way through games. I think as we come down the home stretch he will start to pick up steam. If I had to place bets, I'd expect him to be in that Kessler range. Late second rounder to late third rounder depending on how much steam he picks up.

Edited by Chernobyl426

bk.jpg

(Updated)

The Basics

Brad Kaaya

Quarterback

Miami

Junior

Age 21

6'4"

216 pounds

4.84 projected 40-yard dash

Positives

One of the most pro-ready frames of any quarterback in this class. Very talented arm, and can make nearly every throw asked of him at the pro level. Goes through reads efficiently, and can usually find the open receiver if he has a decent amount of time. Not a gunslinger, but also not afraid to go deep either. Good balance between short to intermediate routes that move the chains and deep passes that threaten the secondary. Doesn't have the velocity of Kelly, but has one of the better "fastballs" in this class. Very good at stepping up in pocket and delivering.

Negatives

Very panicked when the pocket collapses. When he doesn't have time to throw he will often lose his cool and forces passes he shouldn't. Not always the most consistent with his mechanics. Will too often throw off of his back foot or turn his hips wrong when going through his throwing motion. This causes passes to be off target and in danger of being picked off. Not always a guy who will place the ball where only the receiver can get it, and when he tries to throw fastballs and can be too far off and get snagged by a defender. Not a mobile guy.

Overview

Ultimate boom-or-bust draft pick. Has the upside to be a top 5 quarterback at the next level, but his entire game falls apart when he starts getting banged up and is forced to stand in a collapsing pocket. He's a prototypical pocket passer, and that means he either needs a great line to protect him or the ability to handle the pressure. He's a lot like Jameis Winston coming out of college.

Grade

5.4 - Consistent NFL Starter

Projection

Solely on the upside, I wouldn't be shocked if a team took Kaaya in the early stages of the first round. He certainly has the talent and potential to be a franchise quarterback. That said, if a team doesn't have a good line in place to keep him alive, they're in for a hell of a ride. Right now I'd say he goes top 15, but I wouldn't be shocked if he falls to the back of the first round on concerns of his consistency under pressure.

Edited by Chernobyl426

watson-steal.jpg

(Updated)

The Basics

Deshaun Watson

Quarterback

Clemson

Junior

Age 21

6'2"

209 pounds

4.64 projected 40-yard dash

Positives

Incredible athlete with ability to kill you both through the air and on the ground. Can go through reads at an average level, but nothing great. Houdini in the backfield when he comes under pressure. Great awareness.

Negatives

Too often throws inaccurate passes that are in danger of a defender making a play on the ball. Has regressed from sophomore season as a pure passer. More of a running quarterback than a dual-threat quarterback, which is incredibly dangerous for a guy at the next level. Prefers to roll out rather than stand in pocket and deliver a pass. Incredibly unsure when jumping around in the pocket, and will often do things that put himself in further danger rather than get him out. Think Manziel. You want Wilson.

Overview

Incredibly raw prospect who relies too much on running ability, and would do well to spend a few years learning rather than starting immediately. High upside that could reach a Russell Wilson level of play, but needs refined a lot.

Grade

5.3 - Consistent NFL starter

Projection

The buzz is that Watson's stock has fallen off a cliff this season. The consensus #1 overall pick coming into the season is now a consensus third rounder. Nobody has him as a first rounder, and his stock is hovering between the second and fourth round right now. Personally, I have him as a late second or early third with the hopes of developing, but I would not be shocked to see him fall into the compensatory picks of round three. He's all potential right now.

Edited by Chernobyl426