Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Craig Stevens Retires

Jim Wyatt
Senior Writer/Editor
TitansOnline.com
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — It was time.
Tight end Craig Stevens, who played in 109 games for the Titans over the past eight seasons, knew it. And it’s why he decided to retire from the NFL to begin the next chapter in his life.
“It’s not something I just woke up and decided to do,’’ Stevens said on Wednesday morning. “I was having a hard time in OTAs and training camp. It’s something I have been fighting in my mind, so I figured it would be better off if I just left.
“I was just struggling a little bit, mentally and physically. In the game (on Saturday vs Carolina), I just felt disconnected. I think mentally I wasn’t totally into it. I think I was still playing at a good level, but it is hard. It is like getting in a fist fight every single day. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have concerns about concussions and stuff. But overall, it just wears on you. So I just felt like it was time.”
A third-round pick by the Titans in the 2008 NFL Draft, Stevens was on his way to Saint Thomas Sports Park on Wednesday to sign his official papers.
Stevens spent all eight of his NFL seasons with the Titans.

The full article has longer commentary from Stevens. Usually I hate it when a player retires this time of year because of the spot it puts the team in. But reading his comments I totally understand the conflict of wanting to keep playing but then actually taking the beating of NFL games and practices.

As for the team, losing Stevens is definitely a hit, the guy was a great blocking TE, but we'll make do with Fasano and Supernaw behind Walker, but none are as good at blocking.

Edited by oochymp