DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

2016 NCAAF Discussion Thread

Washington got screwed over and thats before seeing TAMU lose today.

It's fucking ridiculous that the white hat ignored a blatant holding penalty that occurred RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM on the TD that broke the 0-0 tie in the Alabama/LSU game.

lol Texas A & M

Saquon Barkley is the best player nobody is talking about. :shifty:

Well, that does it for the Texas A&M nonsense. lolcommittee

The top six should now comfortably be:

1) Alabama

2) Clemson

3) Michigan

4) Washington

5) Ohio State

6) Louisville

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Ohio State beats Michigan but Louisville continues running the table. Assuming Bama, Clemson, and Washington all win out, who gets that #4 spot?

Also, say what you want about the Playoff needing to expand to eight teams, but it really doesn't. By season's end, no team outside the top 4 will have a legitimate gripe. In fact, nobody outside the top 4 does right now. Ohio State should be in? Shouldn't have lost to Penn State. Louisville should be in? Shouldn't have lost to Clemson. Sorry.

Edited by SteVo

To be fair, Penn State has become a pretty decent team, and fast. OSU losing to them at University Park isn't nearly as bad of a loss as it looked before.

• Upvote 1

Definitely not. I wasn't trying to make that loss look like a hideous black mark on OSU's resume (Louisville's loss to Clemson certainly isn't).

Well it was bound to happen at some point but the Ducks look dead in the water this season.

Ohio State has by far the best resume of any team with a loss. Louisville's loss at Clemson is a much "better" loss than OSU at Penn State (even though, as Sarge said, Penn State's upset doesn't look as bad in hindsight), but OSU has much better wins. Louisville's only win against a good team was a home game against No. 22 Florida State, who is a 3 loss team at this point. OSU has beaten No. 14 Oklahoma on the road, No. 8 Wisconsin on the road, and now has crushed No. 10 Nebraska at home. I have friends on Twitter and such that have been trashing on OSU's playoff chances and I just think it's ridiculous. If they keep up how they played last night, which I admit might be unrealistic, OSU has a great shot at the playoff. I really don't think Louisville stands much of a chance, if any.

I also love how Texas A&M lost immediately after being ranked at No. 4 for some reason. Serves the committee right for overrating them.

As far as title odds go, I have to say I think Bama will win it again this year. Other teams have looked really good, but Bama has looked great every game except LSU. And that was a great team overcoming adversity, when it would have been so easy to break and fall on the road to a team that had been playing well. Seriously, I hate to admit it, but this Bama team is good.

Ohio State has by far the best resume of any team with a loss. Louisville's loss at Clemson is a much "better" loss than OSU at Penn State (even though, as Sarge said, Penn State's upset doesn't look as bad in hindsight), but OSU has much better wins.

I completely disagree. Ohio State might have beaten better teams, but Louisville has been winning games by scores like 60-10. They've been absolutely clobbering their opponents, and they have the best player in the country. I'd put Louisville and Ohio State neck and neck in terms of "resume."

Penn State in the top 10.

:fgm:

I completely disagree. Ohio State might have beaten better teams, but Louisville has been winning games by scores like 60-10. They've been absolutely clobbering their opponents, and they have the best player in the country. I'd put Louisville and Ohio State neck and neck in terms of "resume."

I don't want to sound like I'm downplaying how good Louisville is. They're a really good team. But Louisville has also had some close calls against lesser teams. Although I would agree that in general Louisville is more consistent, right now the resume comparison wouldn't even be a second thought.

It's kind of moot, though. Unless Penn State takes the B1G East (which is entirely possible), Ohio State is pretty much guaranteed a spot if they win out. That's easier said than done. But in the event that Penn State wins the B1G East, not only do I think Penn State may earn a playoff spot, I think that a team like Ohio State would be in a strong position for the final spot.

I'm admittedly pretty biased towards the Big Ten this year. From what we've seen so far, I think the Big Ten is probably the best conference.

Edited by OSUViking

LOLMICHIGAN LOLCELMSON LOLA&M LOLAUBURN LOLWASHINGTON!!!

HELLO CHAOS!!!!

The top six should now comfortably be:

1) Alabama

2) Clemson

3) Michigan

4) Washington

5) Ohio State

6) Louisville

It'll be interesting to see what happens if Ohio State beats Michigan but Louisville continues running the table. Assuming Bama, Clemson, and Washington all win out, who gets that #4 spot?

Just when you have it all figured out... :yao::mjlaugh:

I don't watch much college football but is t odd seeing the number 2, 3, and 4 team go down in the same week?

You gotta feel bad for OSU. They literally lose on this whole situation lol. PSU has the edge, if they beat Michigan, they fuck themselves by not even being in the title game. :rog:

They still can make the playoffs if they win out. I don't see the committee putting 2 loss teams in over 1. Conference title or not.

They still can make the playoffs if they win out. I don't see the committee putting 2 loss teams in over 1. Conference title or not.

Even if that one loss was to the two-loss champion of their own conference? If PSU wins out, takes the Big Ten Championship, and then misses out on the playoffs in favor of a team they beat then the Committee loses all credibility. OSU's best shot is that PSU wins their next two then loses in the Big Ten Championship, then PSU is definitely out as a three-loss non Conference Champion and you're comparing OSU to Wisconsin or Nebraska, both of whom have lost to OSU.

Edited by oochymp

Wait, someone explain this Big Ten clusterfuck to me, like I'm a 5-year-old...

Wait, someone explain this Big Ten clusterfuck to me, like I'm a 5-year-old...

I'll take a shot (and then someone who actually watches college football can tell me what I got wrong):

Right now, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State are tied at the top of the East division at 6-1 conference, the three way tiebreaker doesn't matter right now because Michigan plays Ohio State in two weeks, so they can't both finish with one conference loss. Michigan beat Penn State, so they'll win that two-way tiebreaker, and Penn State beat Ohio State, so they'll win that two-way tiebreaker. Winner of that goes to the Conference Championship game.

Then the Playoff Committee comes in. Penn State has two losses, so if they win the Conference Championship game then the Committee is looking at a two-loss Big Ten Champion and a lot of people would rather see a one-loss team jump a two-loss team regardless of conference championships. The trouble is the top one-loss team at that point might be (do you see where this is going?) Ohio State, who lost to Penn State at the end of October.

Honestly, at this point if Michigan wins out and takes the Big Ten Conference Championship they'll still get in even with the loss to Iowa, I just don't see enough teams that can jump them. Maybe a one-loss Louisville jumps ahead of them since their one loss was to Clemson, but the Committee does like conference champs.

At this point, to give my conference-by-conference analysis (from someone who very casually watches):

SEC: Bama should keep winning, if they do they'll get in, but there are no strong at-large candidates, if Bama doesn't win the conference then true chaos will ensue

ACC: Clemson still has the edge over Louisville based on the head-to-head win, barring another loss Clemson will take the conference championship and will get in the playoffs, if Clemson loses again then Louisville takes the inside track, if Clemson loses in the ACC Championship game then we'll probably see Louisville jump ahead of the ACC Champ (either Tech or UNC, both three-loss teams)

Big 12: This is another clusterfuck, right now Oklahoma leads at 7-0 in conference, Oklahoma State and West Virginia are right behind them with one conference loss each. The difficulty comes in that Oklahoma has two out of conference losses, meaning if they win out they'll be a two-loss Big 12 Champ, but Oklahoma's last two games are against West Virginia and Oklahoma State. Oklahoma State also has two losses. The only way I see the Big 12 getting someone in is chaos in another conference and West Virginia taking the conference with only one loss.

Pac 12: I think they're screwed. There was talk of Washington missing the playoffs even as an undefeated conference champ based on a weak conference and SOS. They still hold their own destiny, Washington State is currently one game ahead of them but they play in a couple of weeks, so if Washington wins out they will be Pac-12 Champs, but with a loss I'm not sure the Conference Championship will be enough to get them in. Everyone else in the conference has at least two losses and with what's considered a weak conference I don't see a two-loss Pac-12 Champ getting in.

Big Ten: See above

So if I were guess I'd say the playoff priorities should look something like this:

1) Bama

2) ACC Champ Clemson or Louisville

3) Big Ten Champ Michigan or Ohio State

4) One-loss Louisville

5) Big 12 Champ West Virginia

6) Big Ten Champ Penn State

7) One-loss Ohio State

8) Pac 12 Champ Washington

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the breakdown, oochymp, that's actually quite clear.

Here's hoping Alabama fucks everything up by losing to Florida in the SECCG. :D

Awesome. :yep:

The really interesting question for right now is what do the rankings look like for this week? Obviously Bama will stay at the top, but there's no telling what the rest of it looks like.

Based on my above analysis (which again, take with a grain of salt because I've watched very little FBS football this season) I wouldn't be surprised to see Clemson and Michigan stay at 2 and 3 since they both will win their conference if they win out and they will be in the playoffs if that happens. Obviously Washington is going to fall, the only reason they're in the top 4 to this point is they're undefeated, so the question is who replaces them? Ohio State was #5 last week, so that's one option, the trouble comes with what happens if they win out but Penn State wins the Big 10? You would have to either put Ohio State in the playoffs over their conference champ (who they lost to) or drop them in out despite winning out. I think the Committee has already shown that they don't take prior rankings into account, so maybe they don't care about what future rankings might look like and go ahead and slide Ohio State up, or maybe Louisville jumps them after a huge win over Wake Forest, but that'd be tough to do after the shellacking OSU put on Maryland.