DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

2016 NCAAF Discussion Thread

Regarding Alabama, they've pretty much clinched a spot in the Playoff, right? If they lose to Auburn but win the CCG, you can't keep a 1-loss SEC champion like them out. But what if they lose in the SECCG? I'd think they still make the top 4 based on how dominant they've been this year.

final 4

LSU

Oklahoma

Michigan

Stanford

1353.gif

We have now come full circle.

AP poll top ten:

1) Bama

2) OSU

3) Louisville

4) Michigan

5) Clemson

6) Wisconsin

7) Washington

8) Oklahoma

9) Penn State

10) West Virginia

I don't like flipping Louisville and Clemson, if they both finish with one loss you've gotta give the advantage to the head-to-head winner and I don't know if that'll happen here, I'm okay with flipping Michigan and OSU because they play in two weeks, so that'll sort itself out, though if the CFP follows this then they'd definitely be setting up for a one loss OSU to make the playoffs over a Big Ten Champ Penn State, and I don't think I'd agree with that

I don't like flipping Louisville and Clemson, if they both finish with one loss you've gotta give the advantage to the head-to-head winner

I actually disagree with this. I know it sounds counter-intuitive because Clemson beat Louisville, but your logic essentially forgives Clemson's loss to Pittsburgh whereas Louisville hasn't lost to an inferior opponent.

My take on the B1G:

- If Michigan wins out, they win the B1G East. If they win the B1G, they're pretty much a lock to get into the playoff.

- If OSU wins out and Penn State loses at least once, then OSU wins the B1G East and is a lock to get the playoff with a conference championship over what will likely be Wisconsin.

- If both OSU and Penn State win out, Penn State wins the B1G East due to a head-to-head victory. Penn State and Wisconsin would likely play for the B1G Title, and the winner would likely go to the playoff.

Bama is most likely getting a spot. Clemson will probably win out and take a spot. B1G is taking a spot. We're left at the 4th spot. We could have a one-loss, conference champion with Washington, a two-loss conference champion with Oklahoma, a one-loss Louisville, and a one-loss Ohio State. I've already voiced my opinion between OSU and Louisville. If it comes down to them, I think OSU is the easy pick. OSU has the head-to-head win at Oklahoma and a better overall record, so I wouldn't be shocked if they got in over the Sooners. Washington is tricky. They haven't really played anyone outside of a few teams, but they've also looked great all year. I would hope that OSU would get in over Washington - both because I'm an OSU fan and because I think OSU is the better team with a better resume - but I'm not going to get all pissy if they get left out.

It'll come down to whether the committee is making this a playoff of conference champions or a playoff of the four best teams in their eyes. They've already been shaky with their logic on strength of schedule, so it remains to be seen whether OSU will have a shot at 11-1 but no conference title.

Edited by OSUViking

if WVU ends up winning the Big 12 with one loss how does that impact your thoughts?

I'd imagine they'd have a strong argument. I could see them sneaking in.

Man this is the first throw away year I've had with the Ducks in 8 years. They need to focus hard in recruiting a highly rated QB and come corner backs.

On top of that one of our DL got arrested and thrown office team :troll:

:chip: needs to go back home where he belongs.

:chip: needs to go back home where he belongs.

Shit Chip would be welcomed with open arms right now

Louisville made the process a lot easier. Basically down to 5 teams now

Louisville made the process a lot easier. Basically down to 5 teams now

Was about to post the same thing. Of course, we should never assume we have it figured out, but I'd say throw the Ohio State/Michigan loser out and you've got your top 4.

Here comes Western Michigan, bitches.

Yes, a team that could barely beat Northwestern should make the CFP... :yao:

Yes, a team that could barely beat Northwestern should make the CFP... :yao:

I'd rather see an upstart undefeated team over a 2-loss shithead team.

Edited by Chernobyl426

I'd rather see an upstart undefeated team over a 2-loss shithead team.

I wouldn't, and it would never happen. You gotta fucking PROVE you're a great team from an ass conference. Let them get a new Years six and win, then I'll say they can get into the playoff next season, but no fucking way can an undefeated team from a shit conference get in in one year...

Was about to post the same thing. Of course, we should never assume we have it figured out, but I'd say throw the Ohio State/Michigan loser out and you've got your top 4.

Not quite that simple.

If Michigan wins, and then takes the conference title, then it's in. That part is simple.

If OSU wins, then it still might not make it's own conference championship. If Penn State wins out, and Ohio State beats Michigan, then Penn State goes to the title. I think that unless it ends up being Nebraska winning out, the winner of the B1G is guaranteed a spot in the playoff at this point. If Penn State loses, then OSU goes on to the conference championship and has a chance to secure it's own spot.

There is going to be a lot of debate between a potential conference champion in Washington and a non-champion, 11-1 Ohio State regarding who deserves the fourth spot.

I'm imagining that Alabama and Clemson win out, which I think guarantees them a spot. Again, unless Nebraska crashes the part, I think even the winner of Wisconsin/Penn State would get a playoff spot. So that's 1 for the SEC, 1 for the ACC, and 1 for the Big Ten. That fourth can either go to next highest ranked B1G team or a one-loss, conference champion Pac 12 team.

I obviously want OSU to get in. I think the bracket they have now displays that they are respecting what Ohio State has done despite the fact that there is uncertainty regarding whether they will win their conference. However, I don't think a non-conference champion OSU team is going to get in. They have been pretty inconsistent with their logic already, and I don't think that will change, so I'm kind of preparing myself for this one.

First back to back wins for the Cyclones in three years. Oh boy... Phew.

1-loss Pac 12 champ Washington gets in over 2-loss Big Ten champ Penn State. Sorry, OSUVike.

if WVU ends up winning the Big 12 with one loss how does that impact your thoughts?

Well, so much for that

1-loss Pac 12 champ Washington gets in over 2-loss Big Ten champ Penn State. Sorry, OSUVike.

I wouldn't disagree with that at all. If the fourth spot comes down to those two resumes, then Washington gets in. But, I think that a 2-loss B1G champ Penn State gets in regardless without much debate. I think the fourth spot will be between OSU and Washington, which is a much closer decision than PSU/Washington.

Edited by OSUViking

Yeah, the more interesting question is who gets in between a two-loss Big Ten Champion Penn State or a one-loss, not Big Ten Champion Ohio State. I give the edge to Penn State in that scenario with the Conference Championship and the head-to-head win.

I wouldn't disagree with that at all. If the fourth spot comes down to those two resumes, then Washington gets in. But, I think that a 2-loss B1G champ Penn State gets in regardless without much debate. I think the fourth spot will be between OSU and Washington, which is a much closer decision than PSU/Washington.

1) Alabama

2) Ohio State/Michigan

3) Clemson

4) Washington

No room for PSU.

Yeah, the more interesting question is who gets in between a two-loss Big Ten Champion Penn State or a one-loss, not Big Ten Champion Ohio State. I give the edge to Penn State in that scenario with the Conference Championship and the head-to-head win.

I don't think the committee can take a 1-loss Ohio State out after ranking them #2 currently.

Ohio st needs to fire this entire offensive staff. JT is hot garbage now. Tim Beck had ruined him