DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

2016 NCAAF Discussion Thread

I don't think the committee can take a 1-loss Ohio State out after ranking them #2 currently.

the Committee has already shown that they approach each week with a blank slate, the first season of the CFP saw TCU fall out of the top four in the last week despite winning, I couldn't see the Committee putting OSU in ahead of their Conference Champ who they lost to head-to-head

Any chance Alabama loses today and falls down from being #1?

lmaoMSU...

Big 10 title, here we come!

If the offense doesn't pick up OSU is going to get killed if they get put in for the playoffs. At this point won't even be mad if we don't make it. I got to witness that Michigan game in person and I am better off for it.

Re: Michigan/OSU...

• Game of the year? Game of the year.
  • The game, as a whole, is yet another example of letting a team hang around and/or failing to put them away. If not for turnovers, Michigan could have dominated the first three quarters, but they couldn't seal the deal, and they paid for it.
  • I disagree completely with Harbaugh's beef on the 4th and 1 spot. Officials got it right on the field and in replay.
  • I agree with OSUVike above in that Ohio State won't stand much of a chance against Alabama if they play like they did yesterday.

Now regarding the Playoff as a whole, I think Alabama and Ohio State have to be considered as locks. Even if Florida beats them, Alabama has been so impressive this season, you can't knock them out of the top 4. That being said, I would award spots #3 and #4 to, in order of preference...

1. Clemson (1 loss, ACC champ)
  2. Washington (1 loss, Pac-10 champ)
  3. Wisconsin/Penn State (2 losses, Big 12 champ)
  4. Michigan (2 losses)

I can understand an argument that Michigan is better than Wisconsin or Penn State, but, you know what? They had their chance yesterday. Fuck 'em.

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

I am totally prepared for us to beat Wisconsin but still get left out. I would be upset, but understand that only 4 teams can make it. Regardless, this has been one hell of a turnaround season for Penn State. It's hard to really ask for more just yet.

Colorado beating Washington is well within the realm of possibility, making room for a second Big Ten team.

Wouldn't we run into arguments for Colorado to get in? I think a second Big Ten team gets in over the Big 12 champ.

We would, but I would still rather big the Big Ten champ in over a Pac-10 champion Colorado, and the committee's current rankings say they agree with me. :p

Edited by SteVo

So the top 4 is what we expected (and what it should be), and the Big Ten has the next three spots:

5) Michigan

6) Wisconsin

7) Penn State

Obviously the burning question is: if Clemson or Washington loses, who gets #4: Michigan or the Wisconsin/Penn State winner? I think it has to be the winner of that championship game. I don't see how you can put 2 teams from the same conference in the Playoff with neither being the conference champion.

So the top 4 is what we expected (and what it should be), and the Big Ten has the next three spots:

5) Michigan

6) Wisconsin

7) Penn State

Obviously the burning question is: if Clemson or Washington loses, who gets #4: Michigan or the Wisconsin/Penn State winner? I think it has to be the winner of that championship game. I don't see how you can put 2 teams from the same conference in the Playoff with neither being the conference champion.

I agree with your logic (and I hope you're right), but I don't think the committee will.

so if Clemson and Washington both lose does the Big Ten get three teams in?

also, if they put OSU and Michigan both in and leave the Big Ten Champion out then the regular season doesn't matter

Edited by oochymp

so if Clemson and Washington both lose does the Big Ten get three teams in?

also, if they put OSU and Michigan both in and leave the Big Ten Champion out then the regular season doesn't matter

If both Clemson and Washington were to lose than yeah I would personally jump the winner of Wisconsin/Penn State into the #3 spot and Michigan #4.

Although I wonder if the committee would play with things and put Michigan at 3 and Wisco/Penn State at 4 and set up another Ohio State/Michigan game in the playoffs.

But anyways I see Bama, Clemson and Washington all winning so I don't think the Top 4 will change at all, (except positioning).

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Although I wonder if the committee would play with things and put Michigan at 3 and Wisco/Penn State at 4 and set up another Ohio State/Michigan game in the playoffs.

If that happens, put Michigan #4. If there's gonna be a Mich/OSU rematch, let it happen in the title game.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to be honest and say I'm surprised that the Ducks fired Helfrich. Yes compared to the last 10 seasons this was an awful year but he's not 100% to blame.

Be interested to see if they hire from within again or from outside

So if I were guess I'd say the playoff priorities should look something like this:

1) Bama

2) ACC Champ Clemson or Louisville

3) Big Ten Champ Michigan or Ohio State

4) One-loss Louisville

5) Big 12 Champ West Virginia

6) Big Ten Champ Penn State

7) One-loss Ohio State

8) Pac 12 Champ Washington

I still stand by this (cross out the stuff that can't happen) so I guess I'm not gonna be mad if it ends up Bama, Clemson, PSU, and OSU, seeding isn't really that important. I will take issue with leaving a Big Ten Champ PSU out entirely if OSU gets in, which now looks like a near certainty, unless, of course, the Committee is just setting OSU up for the biggest fuck you in sports history.

Edited by oochymp

Man, that'd honestly be pretty funny considering OSU did the same to someone else two years ago.

I think OSU is one and done this year. Frankly, the offense just looks like shit. Unless JT has consecutive monster games, there's no way we can beat Bama. Clemson and Washington we have a shot but if they start scoring and we can't respond then it'll be over quick.

Ohio st is a lock. They have a great resume and the lose to Penn St doesn't look nearly as bad now. Bama is too regardless of the SEC championship game. I could see Michigan still making it if Clemson or Washington lose. Because you know Money reasons. Bama vs Michigan. Ohio st vs Clemson.

Well, the possibility for utter chaos is gone now that Washington won. So it's down to Clemson, Michigan, and the Big Ten champ for the final Playoff spot.

I would love it if OSU and Michigan both made the playoffs and the Big Ten champ didn't

oochy :pls:

:(

oochy :pls:

:(

you gotta remember, I have no rooting interest in NCAA football, so I root for chaos and whatever will make the NCAA look the worst, from a competition standpoint it would be the worst thing, which is exactly why I want it to happen

• Upvote 1

Big 10 title!!!

Playoffs or not, this season will be one to remember. Penn State football is back, baby!

• Upvote 1

I still think the top 4 will, and should, remain the same for the Playoff, but damned if Penn State didn't make a compelling case for themselves.

• Upvote 1