Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

America's Drinking Culture

Drinking Questions  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that you personally drink too much?

• Yes
    • No
    • What does it matter so long as I don't drive or become irritable/violent when drunk?
  2. 2. Does our current culture of getting wasted on weekends alarm you?

• Yes
    • No
    • I think it's hard to call it a "culture" when there are many people who don't do it.
    • If people are having fun, it's not my concern

Figured I'd start this thread after it came up in the Presidential Election Thread. How do you feel about our current drinking culture in the US?

To answer the poll questions, I personally think that I drink too much. I notice a difference physically when I lay off the sauce, which is what I'm trying to do, now. It's personal preference, not necessarily a social statement.

The drinking culture bothers me because I don't think people are truly happy in general.

What about the rest of you?

No I don't care. Ive made some really dumb decisions while drunk that I regret and I'm still paying for.

But for those responsible adults that enjoy drinking in the free time. More power to them. Just be responsible with it and don't put other people at risk because of it.

As long as people don't drive drunk it's fine.

I don't think I drink too much. I drink when I go out (which isn't often anymore) and usually while watching WWE PPV's (a few beers). What alarmed me about myself is the nights where I go hard and sometimes have been more argumentative.

As for our society, I think as long as people aren't harming others I never mind what they're doing for fun. We have to understand we're in the beginning stages of the "drunk driving is bad" revolution. Our parents' generation didn't look down on it like we do today. It'll take sometime but I feel like we're getting better as a society, not worse.

Edited by JetsFan4Life
  • Upvote 2

I think if you only drink on weekends, you definitely don't drink too much. I went crazy when I first got here in Colombia. Definitely noticed plenty of negative changes, so I cut back down to Friday night and Saturday night only. Let's be honest here. Alcohol is like anything else (the bad food you eat, how much you lay around the house like a lazy ass, etc...). If you do it in moderation it's great. If you abuse it, you will pay the consequences one way or another.

That said, it's a good thing that there are people who want to drink every night. Think of how many people would be out of a job if people drank less.

• Upvote 1

You're in North Dakota, Bware... not much else to do but drink. :doge:

I prob drink just several times a month, actually... typically when I go out. I always have some sort of liquor on hand in the closet, but it's easy for me to not drink it often... prob because it isn't cheap shit. Right now, I have Woodford Reserve and The Balvenie 15 Year (which is $125 retail, but I got it for $70 thanks to a buddy that works at a liquor store). I usually try to stretch out my more expensive bottles for like 6 months to a year.

My biggest problem is that I can get pretty carried away when I drink... like I can drink like a motherfucker lol. At a wedding last year, I abused the open bar by having literally 10 glasses of bourbon. And prob the thing I'm most ashamed of is driving home 40 minutes from the PGA Championship last month after getting pretty sloshed from having 4 bourbons and 2 tall boys. :welp:

On the one hand, I really shouldn't ever drink. Its unhealthy and hangovers ruin my day. On the other hand, its fun and being drunk feels really good.

As far as other people go, don't drive or be an asshole and its fine. Judging people for lifestyle choices that don't harm others is stupid.

I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I don't get the typical enjoyment out of it that you're apparently supposed to get. I just drink a few and go from nothing to oh god I hate being alive. People should feel free to do whatever they want on their own time, but people who cannot use alcohol in moderation, who go out and start fights because they're impaired or go out driving and consciously put other people in danger are the scum of the earth and should be excised.

Legalizing weed would definitely help America's drinking problem. It's safer, less addictive, and personally it makes me sick af when I do both. I don't really drink much at all anymore. I don't really go out, or go to that many parties as I've gotten older, and I def don't mind skipping the empty calories.

I don't drink too often, but it's a person's right to do so if they please. As long as their drinking doesn't put other people's lives in danger it isn't anyone else's problem to worry about.

I drink... A lot! Once I move out to Oregon I'm going to try and cut a lot of it out and only drink sparingly. It's mostly due to me having quite the beer gut at the moment.

I drink... A lot! Once I move out to Oregon I'm going to try and cut a lot of it out and only drink sparingly. It's mostly due to me having quite the beer gut at the moment.

Well you fucked up by moving to what is generally considered the best state for craft beer.

• Upvote 1

Well you fucked up by moving to what is generally considered the best state for craft beer.

Ha! I know, I know. I'm still going to drink. Just can't drink 5x a week like I have been lately. Maybe just the weekends and not pound beers like they're going out of style.

I drink pretty much everyday. When I'm really hungover though I usually don't drink the next day. When I get off work I just have to have a beer because I wanted to kill people for the last 4-10 hours (depending on the day) dealing with them at work. I got issues :yep:

Edited by CampinWithGordonRamsay

From my experiences throughout the years, I think it's safe to say that the drinking culture is definitly worse (which is subjective, I'll admit) here then in some parts... They drink more, but its done so leisurely, that when they see someone just downing drinks they'll start staring. Comparatively, even in Oregon and Michigan, two places with great beer traditions (at least as far as America is concerned), and me hanging out with graduate students who seem a lot more mature, a get together, and "beers after classes or work" turns into a binge session. I don't think it's really that bad of a "drinking culture" though among adults, its just... Different.

Except for the English people I've met, they give no fucks.

I personally don't enjoy beer, have never seen the appeal with it, so when I drink I drink with intentions of getting drunk, which happens very rarely. I'm already a handful for most people energy wise sober, so drinking helps nobody. Lol.

Without a doubt though, on college campuses, and underage kids there's a drinking problem. Speaking both from experience and myself, and time working as a campus safety officer while being a student. Although I guess you could make the argument that the culture among adults and teens are connected?

Europeans would drink us under the table. I remember staying at a hostel and hearing stories and actually drinking with some folks. Funny enough on one occasion some of the Germans recoiled in terror when I pulled out some weed :lol: So is it just an American culture thing really? Or more-so a Western cultural thing?

As far as the college stuff and underage drinking I think that kinda has something to do with our legal age being 21. So drinking has that forbidden, "I'm a grown-up now" mystique to it. So being denied it for so long once they get away from supervision they just go fucking nuts with it. Kind of like the Catholic school girls going wild away from all the suppression.

I do think that part of our drinking culture as a man is if you don't drink when others are you're scoffed at or looked at as a pussy. I remember when I was last at a family get together at a sports bar type place the other people ordered beers except for the kids of course and when the waitress (college age) came over to me and I said "Just a coke" she gave me a stink face and blurted out in disapproving tone, "really?" :dying: Then I had to inform her right after that get together— like within the next hour—I had to go to work and she just kinda had a, "well excuse me" look on her face.