BLUE

Rams sign Tavon Ausin to 4-year, 42M extension

Per Rotoworld.com:

Rams signed WR Tavon Austin to a four-year, $42 million extension through 2021.
The deal includes a whopping $30 million guaranteed, a princely sum for a 5-foot-8 gadget player the Rams have desperately wishcasted as a No. 1 receiver since trading up for him in the 2013 draft. Austin is coming off a unique season where he eclipsed both 400 yards rushing and receiving, but simply isn't worthy of this kind of deal. The Rams under Jeff Fisher have a tendency to compound mistakes instead of trying to fix them. All that being said, despite now being overpaid, Austin is a useful real-life player who has WR4 appeal in fantasy. He is a legitimate playmaker. He's just not who the Rams are paying him to be. Aug 27 - 6:01 PM

I'd laugh, then I remember the 49ers will still be worse. :bag:

• Upvote 2

What has Austin done in this league? What has he done for the Rams?

Why am I not making this kind of money?

These are all questions that I can't comprehend and feel that I could do what Tavon Austin does and be set for life.

What has Austin done in this league? What has he done for the Rams?

Why am I not making this kind of money?

These are all questions that I can't comprehend and feel that I could do what Tavon Austin does and be set for life.

Tavon is a pro bowl caliber guy.

As a return man.

Edited by 7-9

Rams pls.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Tavon Austin's new contract is a reflection of what they believe he can do in the future.

Austin landed a four-year, $42-million extension despite never topping 475 receiving yards in a season. "We’ve seen what he’s capable of and we’re hoping we’re going to get a lot more than what we’ve seen in the past," Fisher said. "He’s very, very talented with the ball in his hands. He is a problem to defend against and we hear that week after week after week." To Fisher's point, Austin did chip in 434 rushing yards last season, and he has three punt-return touchdowns in his career. While the price tag was steep, the Rams had to keep their only weapon in the passing game. Austin is a nice pick at his 11th-round ADP.

I am a proponent for paying players for their potential over what they have done in the past, but I'm not sure if even he deserved that big of an extension. Hopefully for the Rams' sake he lives up to that kind of dinero.

I mentioned elsewhere that the biggest fault of Fisher's in Tennessee was his loyalty to certain players and coaches which went beyond what was earned, looks like that may have come with him to the Rams

To be fair he is poorly used. They shouldn't of drafted him to be a conventional WR.