BLUE

Report: Saints, Drew Brees close to an extension

Per Rotoworld.com:

Profootballtalk's Mike Florio reports the Saints and Drew Brees are "close" to agreeing to an extension.
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported Monday that Brees was looking for a four-year, $100 million deal. And Brees reportedly thinks he can play five more seasons, and was looking for $85 million guaranteed on his next contract. Brees is 37, but he's still playing at an extremely high level. He's long said he won't negotiate into the season, so Sunday would appear to be the deadline. Sep 6 - 8:44 PM

His camp is asking way too much. He's 37 years old, will be 38 years old come playoff time when the Saints are sitting after another sub-par season because they're a sub-par organization with an overrated coach.

It's time to think about the next chapter, the non-Payton/non-Brees chapter.

^ Sounds nice, but I imagine the front office has a lot of loyalty to both of them.

ya but has long as Drew Brees is throwing near 5,000 yards passing and 30 plus touchdowns the Saints will basically cave in or let brees Walk and draft his replacement

It's time to let Garrett Grayson become Aaron Rodgers 2.0

Drew Brees Stats last year in 15 games played 428-627 4,870 yards 32 Touchdowns and 11 ints and was sacked 31 times... wouldve thrown for 5000 yards for his 5th time in his career if he didnt get injuried

2014 stats 16 games 456-659 4,952 yards 33 touchdowns and 17 ints and was sacked 29 times

2013 stats 16 games 446-650 5,162 yards 39 Touchdowns and 12 ints and sacked 37 times

Edited by WeaponX20

It's time to let Garrett Grayson become Aaron Rodgers 2.0

Kinda surprised to see you say that since Brees was #3 in your QB rankings last season.

if Brees get 100 Million he will deserve every single penny dude is playing with crap for Wrs and TE.. Grayson will not get has near production has brees does...

Just because that's true right now doesn't mean Brees will stay there for 5 seasons. Economically, it's just not worth the risk, especially when you can't afford to pay quality players at other positions because of Brees' contract. When he goes on a downturn, the whole team sinks... and it's barely staying afloat right now.

And of course Grayson gets cut the second I say that. >_> Well whatever who needs backups anyway.

to me its worth the Risk you dont want to go back to seeing your fans wearing Paper Bags over there head cause they are Terrible.. no Brees and no Defense the Saints will go back to being like the browns

You can't expect to cling to a 38 year old QB and expect to win super bowls. The only teams that do that surround their old man QB's with running games and stellar defenses. The Saints might finally have a run game but the defense has been sucking deck scum for almost his entire tenure there. The Saints don't have the team to compete, and they can't afford to have the team to compete if they keep Brees.

(They're doomed to failure anyway because of poor management, but not playing to your outs is always the dumbest move)

Drew Brees Stats last year in 15 games played 428-627 4,870 yards 32 Touchdowns and 11 ints and was sacked 31 times... wouldve thrown for 5000 yards for his 5th time in his career if he didnt get injuried

2014 stats 16 games 456-659 4,952 yards 33 touchdowns and 17 ints and was sacked 29 times

2013 stats 16 games 446-650 5,162 yards 39 Touchdowns and 12 ints and sacked 37 times

How about this stat....

Saints went 7 - 9 three of the last four years...

The Saints aren't building a team, they are digging a hole.

if Brees get 100 Million he will deserve every single penny dude is playing with crap for Wrs and TE.. Grayson will not get has near production has brees does...

Brandin Cooks, Brandon Coleman and now Brees has Michael Thomas so that isn't true.

Edit: Willie Snead.

Edited by Bay

I'm sorry, I simply can't agree with you guys this time. When you have a guy like Brees playing at this level still at his age, you can't even allow the possibility that he finishes his career somewhere else. He's not retiring any time soon. Where in the world are the Saints ever going to find anywhere near the production Brees gives them?

Also look at this from an owner's perspective. Even if the Saints don't win much, a Brees-led offenses attracts attention, which means money. I think they will definitely need to find someone to sit behind Brees during this last contract and look for their QB of the future. Saints are probably going to be bad the next few years no matter what, so I don't see it as a bad call to keep a highly productive QB. Not to mention the best and most popular player in franchise history and a 1st ballot HOFer.

Edited by Sarge
  • Upvote 1

Per Rotoworld.com:

Saints signed QB Drew Brees to a one-year extension through 2017.
It's essentially a two-year deal worth a guaranteed $44.25 million. The contract was announced as a five-year pact, but it automatically voids after 2017. Brees is now signed through his age-38 season and will turn 39 in January 2018. Sep 7 - 3:33 PM

I'm sorry, I simply can't agree with you guys this time. When you have a guy like Brees playing at this level still at his age, you can't even allow the possibility that he finishes his career somewhere else. He's not retiring any time soon. Where in the world are the Saints ever going to find anywhere near the production Brees gives them?

Also look at this from an owner's perspective. Even if the Saints don't win much, a Brees-led offenses attracts attention, which means money. I think they will definitely need to find someone to sit behind Brees during this last contract and look for their QB of the future. Saints are probably going to be bad the next few years no matter what, so I don't see it as a bad call to keep a highly productive QB. Not to mention the best and most popular player in franchise history and a 1st ballot HOFer.

Does that attention and money in the short term make it worth keeping him around for 20-25M a year though? The Saints are a terrible team that need to rebuild... Brees being good just makes the saints a perennial 6-9 win team, which means picking lower (higher?) in the draft, which would theoretically slow the rebuild.

Drew Brees is ensuring the Saints don't have a top 10 pick, which like you mention has some short term upside but in the long run, I am just not sure it will be worth it.

Welcome to Mediocreville, New Orleans (to be fair, they've been there for like 4 years now).

You know, I think this is a really unique situation that we don't see often in the NFL. Usually when a guy gets paid a ton of money, it's easy to see why it shouldn't have been done. But Brees isn't just another QB. He is still tops in the league at bombing the fuck out of the ball with accuracy (even last year with a bum shoulder for part of/most of the year). Until he loses that ability, I believe he is worth paying.

Of course at his age, his days are getting numbered. It's quite possible that 2 years from now he will hit the same wall Favre did and just completely lose every ability that makes him such a nightmare for opposing defenses right now. Then again, 2 years could be enough time to find a replacement. It would be one thing if the Saints had a decent guy to take over right now, but they don't. However, I believe Brees has been good enough for long enough to earn the same treatment as Brady. I won't believe he is no longer an elite QB until I see proof. Even with a team that needs rebuilt, I can safely say with 100% certainty that most teams aren't even going to think about replacing a QB as productive as Brees. Especially when that player is by far the greatest player in team history and one of the best QB's ever to play.

Edited by Sarge

If having a QB with that ability can't get my team beyond 7 wins, it's time to readjust how the team is built and how it operates on a day to day basis. What better reason to tear it all down if having a QB that good can't get you to .500

• Upvote 2

Fair point. At the end of the day, it looks like Saints FO looked at it from my view more, but time will tell if it was the right call.

• Upvote 1

Fair point. At the end of the day, it looks like Saints FO looked at it from my view more, but time will tell if it was the right call.

Yes, they do agree with you although I am not sure that's a great thing, considering the state of that franchise. :D

He has made and kept them relevant. Worth it.

If you want to make money you resign Brees and go 7-9 for two more years. If you want a better team you trade him immediately for as many picks as possible. Go 2-14. Draft a QB with the top 3 pick or trade that pick for even more picks. The Saints don't have enough pieces to not go full rebuild mode right now.

I'm gonna take a guess and say they never seriously entertained the idea of trading him.

They should've :yep:

Send him to Minnesota

• Upvote 1