Vin

Browns @ Eagles

STATS LLC Associated Press

Sep 07, 2016

The last time Carson Wentz was preparing for the Cleveland Browns, he was studying up for facetime with head coach Hue Jackson and vice president Sashi Brown and preparing to sell himself as the future of a franchise that hasn't had a winning face at quarterback in decades.

Cleveland decided in March that Wentz and California's Jared Goff weren't worthy of the No. 2 selection in the draft and moved the second pick to the Philadelphia Eagles. On Sunday, Wentz will make his NFL debut as a rookie starter for the Eagles against the visiting Browns in the regular-season opener for both teams.

"Everybody has their opinions. Listen, we went to North Dakota. We worked him out," Eagles first-year head coach Doug Pederson said of landing Wentz. "We spent a lot of time with him like everybody that has drafted quarterbacks in the National Football League. If you don't spend time with those guys and come away feeling comfortable about your decisions, then you should probably look somewhere else. We just felt so comfortable at the Eagles to make the moves to go get Carson Wentz and felt very strong about the way we evaluated."

Browns vice president Paul DePodesta said in April that Cleveland didn't view Wentz as a potential top-20 starting quarterback in the NFL.

The Eagles doubled down last week, dealing away their incumbent starting quarterback, Sam Bradford, to the Minnesota Vikings. The deal recouped a first-round pick in 2017 for Philadelphia, and sped up the development plan for Wentz.

Wentz was drafted behind Goff, who went No. 1 to the Los Angeles Rams, and goes head-to-head with former No. 2 pick Robert Griffin III on Sunday. Griffin, voted a team captain by teammates this week, signed a two-year deal after being released by the Washington Redskins in March.

Jackson seems to believe the resurrection of Griffin is on schedule. He averaged 8.2 yards per completion and threw three TD passes in 38 total preseason attempts, also rushing for 40 yards on five carries. Perhaps most important, he enters Week 1 unscathed and moved further from durability questions that overshadowed a strong rookie season with the Redskins.

Where Wentz stands in his progression from FCS powerhouse North Dakota State to the NFL is far less certain. While Griffin had 38 pass attempts in three games in August, a rib injury limited Wentz to 39 total snaps - less than any quarterback drafted in the first four rounds in April. He averaged 3.9 yards per completion with none longer than 19 yards in exhibition games.

"A great opportunity for him. With the trade, it definitely sped up Carson's timetable to play," Pederson said, adding that Wentz was in the film room at Eagles headquarters at 5:45 a.m. Wednesday when the coach arrived. "We are excited for that. He is ready to go. I have said all along and he is such a sharp guy. He studies. He pays attention to detail. It will be big for him from a preparation standpoint to really fully understand the gameplan and study the film and do the things that he did in college and what I have seen so far these last couple of days."

Neither team limited its offseason makeover to changing head coaches and quarterbacks.

Cleveland parted with outside linebacker Paul Kruger and lost center Alex Mack to the Atlanta Falcons in free agency, two locker-room leaders that can't be instantly replaced by the Browns' wave of first- and second-year players.

The Eagles traded high-priced cornerback Byron Maxwell to Miami in a deal that also included linebacker Kiko Alonso.

Offensive tackle Lane Johnson is facing a 10-game suspension for alleged violation of the league performance-enhancing drugs policy.

Wentz said Wednesday he is rolling with it, and even amidst the rapid pace of changes in Philadelphia, he feels prepared.

"Things changed around here pretty quickly. I think there were a lot of people that were surprised, but now, it is just move forward. Move forward, on to the next," Wentz said. "I'm ready for my turn. I'm excited for it."

Philadelphia is no stranger to Griffin, who has five starts in his career against the Eagles with a 98.3 passer rating.

Wentz and Dallas Cowboys starter Dak Prescott are the only rookie quarterbacks in Week 1 starting lineups. Goff is expected to be inactive at San Francisco on Monday night.

:Browns: 27

:Eagles: 20

RG3, Barnidge, Coleman, Pryor. The Browns have a new look offense that is going to test you deep and across the middle.

Carson Wentz in his first start against a defense that is not division three.

Browns have more firepower and take a win from a team that generally cracks under pressure when there is any sort of hype. Browns can thank Wentz for this win.

:Browns: 24

:Eagles: 21

I think Wentz will struggle going through his reads and will make some costly turnovers because of it. If Nassib and Ogbah can get back there he's in for a rough rough day. It's going to come down to which QB chokes less, and I think RGIII will do well enough to survive.

Don't know what to expect, and I really don't care if we win (it's that kind of season, from an expectation standpoint). Just want to see the team not making stupid mistakes, and obviously I'd like a non-shitty performance from Wentz. You can't ask for a much better matchup for the kid's first game.

I'll homer it up and say the Eagles win in a turnover-filled, ugly game.

:Eagles: 23

:Browns: 20

Fun fact to point out that affects the 2017 draft: the Browns own the Eagles' first-round pick. If you believe, as I do, that both the Browns and Eagles will be garbage this year, then Cleveland could be looking at two top 5 draft picks. That would be something.

This is kinda gonna be like when Weeden started against the Eagles in the opener that one year

What a throw on that touchdown pass, Carson Wentz!

First Half Observations

:Eagles:

• Mixed bag from Carson Wentz, but mostly positive. His first drive was awesome. I love that he's already comfortable calling audibles/adjustments and using the hard count to draw guys offsides. That being said, he had a few inaccurate throws. No dumb decisions, though, and no INTs.
  • Ryan Mathews is a really good running back. It'll be sad when he inevitably gets hurt. :(
  • Lord, our WRs suck. Guys not getting open is gonna be a problem all year, circa the McNabb era 2000-2003 and 2006-2008.
  • Not sure what to make of the defense yet. A lot of secondary breakdowns. I feel like anybody but the Browns and we'd be getting smoked.

:Browns:

• Mixed bag from RG3 too. A few really inaccurate passes, but a few nifty ones too. They haven't drawn up any running plays for him yet.
  • Duke Johnson :notbad:
  • Terelle Pryor :notbad:
  • Ok, overall, the Browns suck. Tons of drops, a stupid fake on 4th down, defense isn't that good. If they win, it's because the Eagles also suck.

Wentz takes way too many hits. Horton is doing a great job of blitzing him but having his edge rushers maintain containment so he can't roll either way.

How many fucking drops can these WRs have?

DAT deep ball!

Edited by BwareDWare94

So I'm not watching the Eagles game, but Wentz' numbers are looking pretty damn good.

And a lot of the incompletions are drops.

That TD to Agholor was sexy as fuck.

The Browns suck, and a lot of delusional Eagles fans are going to boost their expectations now and be sad when we finish 4-12ish, but that's ok. Carson Wentz had about as good a premiere as you could realistically ask for. Let's get some playmakers around him and build this team!

I think the receiving options are pretty good, especially the TE pairing and Matthews. They need another RB, though. Mathews did just fine today, though.

Based on everything I've heard, Wentz was doing pretty well at getting the ball out before the pocket collapsed. That was my biggest concern coming in is that he would struggle if his guys were covered decent and the line was going down hard. Solid debut though :yep:

I think the receiving options are pretty good, especially the TE pairing and Matthews. They need another RB, though. Mathews did just fine today, though.

The TE pair is fine but the talent level at WR is barren. Matthews did not do fine today; he dropped 2 easy passes.

Based on everything I've heard, Wentz was doing pretty well at getting the ball out before the pocket collapsed. That was my biggest concern coming in is that he would struggle if his guys were covered decent and the line was going down hard. Solid debut though :yep:

His pocket presence today was incredible. One of his best non-TD throws was with the LT/DE inches from his left shoulder. He just stood in, waited, and fired over the middle into a tight window.

Good for Wents.

Should the Browns have taken Wentz #2 overall?

CsG1NQCWYAIJOM1.jpg

He should have gone to LA at 1. You have 2 QBs, one is noticeably smarter than the other and also has a noticeably better arm.

And the Rams don't pick him. :yao:

If Wentz is behind that line he gets fucking shattered :shifty:

If Wentz is behind that line he gets fucking shattered :shifty:

The line can improve over time. You draft the better 10-15 year prospect.

The line can improve over time. You draft the better 10-15 year prospect.

How is the line gonna improve when you trade away three years of picks and your cap money is gonna go to Donald, Quinn, Ogletree, Johnson, and Gurley? Not to mention the QB you just got when he wants paid in 3 years. At that point he's taken the beating of his life and has gone 7-9 every year and won't want to play for you anyways. :p

Cherry, your logic here is really fucked up. Also, Paxton Lynch sucks.

I'll disagree with you, there. Lynch will be starting by week 8. Siemian seems turnover prone to me.

Cherry, your logic here is really fucked up. Also, Paxton Lynch sucks.

Explain on both please?