Vin

49ers @ Panthers

STATS LLC Associated Press

Sep 14, 2016

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Carolina Panthers would like to be talking about what Cam Newton can do on the field after a long week of conversations relating to other issues.

The discussion about the San Francisco 49ers might finally veer more toward their starting quarterback after a backup received a bulk of preseason attention.

The teams square off Sunday afternoon at Bank of America Stadium in the second week of the season coming off extremely different results.

Newton, the reigning Most Valuable Player in the league, has been cleared to play this week after a series of rough hits absorbed in the opener at Denver, where Carolina lost 21-20 in a Super Bowl rematch.

Several of those hits drew considerable scrutiny because of the perceived nastiness and claims from that Panthers that Newton isn't protected through officiating as well as other quarterbacks.

"Some of them obviously you'd like to see them throw a flag," Panthers coach Ron Rivera said. "Again, that's up the referee. ... People react to big hits differently."

In the opener, Newton ran for a 2-yard touchdown to set the NFL career record for rushing touchdowns for quarterbacks with 44, eclipsing the mark held by former 49ers standout Steve Young.

His ability and willingness to run often puts him in harm's way.

"He's an imposing figure and sometimes those hits don't look so bad on a big guy," Rivera said. "Because he's a big guy, I think sometimes they think he can take it."

The 49ers received a solid outing from quarterback Blaine Gabbert in his first opening-day start with the team in the 28-0 romp past against the Los Angeles Rams.

49ers backup Colin Kaepernick's protests regarding social justice that has him declining to stand for the national anthem had become an overriding theme about the 49ers.

Then Gabbert finished 22 of 35 for 170 yards and a touchdown without a sack or an interception and the defense delivered the first shutout in an opener in the franchise's history.

The 49ers preferred to discuss those topics.

"First game in our system, there were some real things we can build on," 49ers coach Chip Kelly said of Gabbert and the offense. "I see him getting better. He kept plays alive. He kept drives alive with his feet. We're pleased with where he is right now."

Kelly, in his first season with San Francisco, figures there could be some growing pains ahead, but he likes the direction.

"Offensively, there was a little inconsistency in some of the drives," Kelly said. "But I think overall when you have 28 first downs ... there were some positives. I've seen them grow and develop since we got them in April."

With Panthers linebackers Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis, Kelly said the 49ers will encounter a stern test.

"That might be the best tandem that we face," he said. "You're not going to fool those guys very much."

Week 2 will mark the home opener for the Panthers, who went undefeated at home in 10 games, including two in the postseason, last season. Carolina's home-field winning streak sits at 13 games.

A year ago, the Panthers went to the last week of December before losing, so coming off a loss in the opener might seem strange.

"We didn't do everything we needed to do to give ourselves a chance to win," Rivera said. "I know our guys have all taken it very personal."

Kelly would like to ride the wave of good vibes stemming from his first game in charge.

"There was a real good energy on our sideline," Kelly said.

Sunday's game will put new Panthers punter Andy Lee up against a team he played with for more than a decade (2004-14).

When the Panthers came on board as an expansion team, they were in the NFC West with the 49ers and they became rivals. But since the end of 2001, the teams have met only four times. The most recent of those resulted in San Francisco's playoff victory in 2013 in Charlotte.

This weekend's game marks teams coming of extremes in terms of rest.

The Panthers played in the NFL's first game of the season on Sept. 8, and the 49ers played in Monday night's late game (the final game of Week 1) and must make the cross-country trip for Sunday's early afternoon kickoff.

"We got a jump-start on breaking down the film (during the weekend)," Kelly said. "When you have a Monday night game, you know you're going to be short. You know your schedule in April, so we've got everything laid out. We're really efficient with our time."

Perfect game for the :blaine: Train to get rolling.

Nothing can stop the Blaine Train.

:49ers: 20

:panthers: 10

Lmao I read this one article on NFL.com that said Blaine had developed into a top-10 QB and was gonna drop 3 TDs on us.

I'd be mildly surprised if he even throws two.

:panthers: 31

:49ers: 13

Top 10 :wut::blaine:

That was my reaction. Even if he does torch Carolina, Blaine is far from a top-10 QB, lol.

Blaine is a solid starter when he avoids turnovers. There were flashes in Jacksonville. Now he's more steady in SF and I think he's a viable starter so long as he limits turnovers.

:panthers: 23

:49ers: 19

49ers with solid drives throughout the game but struggle to score TDs.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Blaine has never had a game where he's thrown more than 2 TDs, and he's gonna start against the panthers? Ha Ha Ha.

Blaine is a solid starter when he avoids turnovers. There were flashes in Jacksonville. Now he's more steady in SF and I think he's a viable starter so long as he limits turnovers.

:panthers: 23

:49ers: 19

49ers with solid drives throughout the game but struggle to score TDs.

Blaine doesn't avoid turnovers though.

Blaine can be a solid contributor I think. We all have to remember that he wasted three years of development in Jacksonville. He's just now beginning to even show progression as a QB in this league. Not sure how or why he'd be expected to do that well this week though. But who knows!

I mean, Blaine didn't get sacked or turn the ball over at all against the Rams. Granted, the Panthers are a far better team, but if he can repeat that the 49ers should be able to keep it close.

49ers declared QB Christian Ponder, CB Marcus Cromartie, RB DuJuan Harris, OT Anthony Davis, DT Tony Jerod-Eddie, OT John Theus, and DL Taylor Hart inactive for Week 2.

There's no surprises. The 49ers will continue to start RG Andrew Tiller (ankle) opposite Zane Beadles.

Jonathan Stewart (ankle) is active for Week 2 against the 49ers.

Stewart was limited in practice, but should be fine for his normal workload. He's an RB2 in a game Carolina projects to lead throughout.
The Panthers inactives are QB Joe Webb, RB Cameron Artis-Payne, CB Damiere Byrd , LB Jared Norris, CB Teddy Williams, OG Tyler Larsen, and DT Paul Soliai
  • Upvote 1

Despite the score, Carolina looked like shit. They're a bunch of jokers.

But congrats on their first of eight wins this year. :smug:

Carolina did indeed play like shit... and yet put up 46 points. Imagine what they will do when they are actually playing well? The defense is definitely worse than last year but that offense with KB, man. :D

Edited by Thanatos

Carolina did indeed play like shit... and yet put up 46 points. Imagine what they will do when they are actually playing well? The defense is definitely worse than last year but that offense with KB, man. :D

Yeah, we need Rhodes next week or we're fucked.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said Jonathan Stewart (hamstring) will miss "at least a week or two."

Stewart had an MRI Monday morning, but the results are not yet known. Either way, Stewart not going to play against the Vikings, and he could end up missing multiple weeks. Fozzy Whittaker put up 100 yards Sunday with Stewart sidelined, but Cameron Artis-Payne should have a role as well despite being inactive the first two weeks.

Finally get to see CAP. I really think the coaches are making the age > youth mistake again, and now that injuries have forced their hand it might be better for us long-term. J-Stew is a top-15 back when healthy, but he's rarely healthy for a full slate of games.

Yeah, we need Rhodes next week or we're fucked.

I wouldn't say that at all. Vikings defense really impressed me last night, I think we're in for a slugfest of two NFC heavyweights. I'd give a slight edge to the Panthers because of homefield- haven't lost at BoA in 14 straight games- but I'm thinking something like 20-16 at most. I can't believe Minnesota just won a game against the Pack minus Teddy B and Adrian Peterson- and even before AP went out he was sucking ass. Defense is amazing, might be tops in the NFL, too early to call that given so much variance of opposition.

I wouldn't say that at all. Vikings defense really impressed me last night, I think we're in for a slugfest of two NFC heavyweights. I'd give a slight edge to the Panthers because of homefield- haven't lost at BoA in 14 straight games- but I'm thinking something like 20-16 at most. I can't believe Minnesota just won a game against the Pack minus Teddy B and Adrian Peterson- and even before AP went out he was sucking ass. Defense is amazing, might be tops in the NFL, too early to call that given so much variance of opposition.

Not having AP makes the Vikings better.

Not having AP makes the Vikings better.

Very well might be true, I'm just saying that if you told me that before last night, I would have been quite shocked.

The Vikings running game will look better next week because Asiata and McKinnon just hit the hole as opposed to dancing around like an asshole and losing 2 yards when he could have gained at least 3.

It'd be real hard to be worse than 12 carries for 19 yards, that's for sure.

Very well might be true, I'm just saying that if you told me that before last night, I would have been quite shocked.

He did the same thing last week too. I think the writing is on the wall. Maybe not though. We shall see.

But given AP's history, I would have been inclined to write off the Titans game as an anomaly, not a predictor of things to come. But it could very well be that AP has just hit the wall.

To be fair to AP--there were no holes, ever. Mike Daniels and Jurrel Casey annihilated our guards. He missed one huge hole against Tennessee but otherwise was being hit in the backfield on almost every run.