Vin

Eagles @ Bears

STATS LLC Associated Press

Sep 14, 2016

Carson Wentz soared in his NFL debut with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Now, the strong-armed rookie quarterback will have an opportunity to showcase his skills under the lights. Wentz will play his first prime-time game as the Eagles (1-0) visit the Chicago Bears (0-1) on Monday night.

The past week has been a whirlwind for Wentz, whom the Eagles selected with No. 2 overall pick in this year's draft out of North Dakota State. He passed for 278 yards and two touchdowns to lead his team to a 29-10 win against the Cleveland Browns in the season opener. His jersey shot to No. 1 in NFL online sales.

Vice President Joe Biden encouraged President Barack Obama to "get on the Wentz wagon." Instead, Obama -- an ardent Bears fan -- joked that he would visit Philadelphia "and scout out what all of the fuss is about."

Bears coach John Fox and his defensive assistants have done some scouting of their own.

Chicago is looking to bounce back from a 23-14 loss to the Houston Texans in Week 1. The Bears led 14-10 at halftime but were outscored 13-0 in the second half as their offense failed to gain traction.

Quarterback Jay Cutler could use better protection in the pocket after he was sacked five times in the opener. He also spent time this week reiterating his confidence in wide receiver Kevin White, the Bears' first-round pick in 2015 who missed his entire rookie season because of a stress fracture. White made his NFL debut last week but caught only three passes for 34 yards despite being targeted seven times.

"We need him," Cutler said. "He's going to be fine. We're not worried about him. We like our group of receivers out there. ... I'm going to play better. As a whole, offensively, we're going to play better."

If White advances as Cutler hopes, he could create a dangerous tandem alongside wide receiver Alshon Jeffery. That will create pressure on the Eagles' secondary, which faces questions after cornerback Leodis McKelvin sustained a strained left hamstring in Week 1.

Philadelphia coach Doug Pederson described McKelvin's status as "week-to-week," which does not bode well for Monday. The Eagles traded cornerback Eric Rowe to the New England Patriots before the season opener, which means Nolan Carroll, Ron Brooks and rookie Jalen Mills might need to anchor a thin cornerback group.

McKelvin is not the Eagles' only injured starter. Tight end Zach Ertz sustained a displaced rib near his left shoulder in Week 1 and could be out for an extended period of time.

"It's a dangerous situation with a displaced bone," Pederson said. "You are talking up around the neck and head area, so any type of blow again could do further damage to that. That's why it's a week-to-week deal to see how it heals and recovers."

In Ertz's absence, veteran Brent Celek is expected to step forward as the team's top option at tight end.

The Bears know they must improve on defense after allowing Houston to convert 12 of 20 third-down opportunities one week ago. Linebacker Danny Trevathan will make his home debut as a Bear after signing as a free agent during the spring. Another new face on the lakefront will be rookie pass rusher Leonard Floyd, who was credited with six tackles and registered a half-sack along with Eddie Goldman in his NFL debut.

Look for Fox and defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to try to pressure Wentz in front of a hostile environment.

Wentz, however, will have plenty of support in the huddle as he braces for the Bears. The 23-year-old already has the backing of his teammates, including wide receiver Jordan Matthews, who is thrilled with the chance to develop continuity with his quarterback after several years of uncertainty at the position.

"It's a different thing when that guy's your brother and when he's your quarterback," Matthews said. "When he's your quarterback, it's like, 'I'm just doing my job.' When he's your brother, it's like, 'I've got to get these 12 yards because I want him to be able to trust that I'm going to be where I need to be so that we can get out here and win football games.' ... And I want him to be just as successful as me, if not more.

"When you start having that relationship, when you want to give up of yourself for somebody else, the games, they just happen. It becomes fun. It becomes something everybody loves to enjoy. Like I said, Carson has that attitude."

I still think the bears are garbage, and Carson Wentz is heading straight to the Pentzhouse.

:Eagles: 34

:Bears: 20

Bad Puns: 2.

Bears are F'ing trash. Eagles should win. I wouldn't be shocked if Chicago wins though. Rookie QB on the road. 2nd career start. Ya know.

Bears are taking this one. The Browns made the Eagles look good, and this game will be a reminder that the Eagles are still a 4-12 team, and Wentz is still a rookie QB.

:Bears: 28

:Eagles: 17

Bears are taking this one. The Browns made the Eagles look good, and this game will be a reminder that the Eagles are still a 4-12 team, and Wentz is still a rookie QB.

:Bears: 28

:Eagles: 17

You're probably right, but the Eagles have a very solid defense, a good OL (especially if Lane Johnson gets out of his suspension), a smart QB who will make rookie mistakes but also has an incredible arm that allows him to capitalize on small windows, and a solid RB who doesn't do much dancing and maximizes his carries. The Eagles have the pieces to be in games, and they should certainly compete in their joke of a division.

I don't think we have a "very solid defense" at all. The whole country gets a look to see if I'm right.

The Philadelphia defense will have just three active cornerbacks in Week 2.

CB Leodis McKelvin has been ruled out with a hamstring injury, leaving the Eagles' secondary shorthanded. Coach Doug Pederson plans on starting Ron Brooks and Jalen Mills in base package situations when Philadelphia travels to Chicago on Monday night, with Brooks sliding inside in nickel and dime packages. The Eagles D/ST will be a back-end top-12 fantasy option against Jay Cutler and company.

what a laughable on the fence remark. Make up your mind lol

All he means is that football is unpredictable :shrug:

On paper, Chicago should win, but Philly has an ace up their sleeve in Wentz. Dude picked on Joe Haden in week 1. What's he going to so to Chicago's secondary?

• Upvote 2

what a laughable on the fence remark. Make up your mind lol

Sorry Mr. Nick Nolte sir.

Bears revamped oline hasn't exactly meshed yet, Kevin White had a disappointing debut, and that defense was tepid at best.... I would say the Eagles are favored here, especially with how Wentz played last week ( i know it was horrible competition). I am expecting Jordan Matthews to do some serious damage and the Eagles to eek out a close one.

I honestly think Alshon and Kevin White are gonna go ham on that iggles secondary. Hopefully it turns into a shootout. Kind of want to see Wentz play from a score or two behind, for science.

:Bears: 35

:Eagles: 24

Eagles declared CB Leodis McKelvin, TE Zach Ertz, WR Bryce Treggs, C Josh Andrews, OT Dillon Gordon, OT Halapouvaati Vaitai, and OG Isaac Seumalo inactive for Week 2 against the Bears.

McKelvin is the Eagles' de facto No. 1 corner but is out with a strained hamstring. Ron Brooks will start in base sets, but he'll cover the slot in sub-packages with seventh-round rookie Jalen Mills on the outside opposite Nolan Carroll. Veteran block-first TE Brent Celek will start in place of Ertz (ribs).

Bears declared CB Kyle Fuller, CB Cre'Von LeBlanc, S Deon Bush, ILB Nick Kwiatkoski, C Eric Kush, WR Cameron Meredith, and DE Cornelius Washington inactive for Week 2 against the Eagles.

Fuller was listed questionable, but still isn't ready after his August knee scope.

Bears are pretty trash. Agreed Bware. Catch that dammit.

Didn't you go .500 again or some shit on the week?

Bears are F'ing trash. Eagles should win.

if its so unpredictable,how come I picked the Rams and Vikings to win and was right on both?

neither team was supposed to, per media.Why didnt I buy the hype?

he's not saying its unpredictable. He's saying he doesnt want to commit, so he doesnt look bad picking the wrong answer. I picked Bears,they are home vs the rookie QB.

Make it 17-15 on the year. You're embarrassing yourself.

• Upvote 1

I'm fine being wrong as I said the Bengals were going to win yesterday.

This just in: Carson Wentz is better than you at life.

I didn't grow up in North Dakota.

Checkmate.

Our offensive line can't block, and our receivers can't catch the damn ball, but our quarterback doesn't suck. Progress!

Carson Wentz is leading Philadelphia to a Super Bowl.

• Upvote 1