Vin

Vikings @ Panthers

STATS LLC Associated Press

Sep 21, 2016

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Minnesota Vikings are in another adjustment mode without their star running back heading into the third game of the season.

At least they're undefeated as they venture on the road Sunday afternoon to take on the Carolina Panthers.

The Panthers (1-1) also are turning to a new starting running back, so the teams are even that regard.

With Adrian Peterson requiring surgery for a torn meniscus suffered Sunday night, the Vikings will be without the leading rusher in franchise history.

"Obviously, it's hard to replace a player like Adrian," quarterback Sam Bradford said. "It's just kind of next man up. I haven't been here long, but I think we have great running backs and the guys behind him are eager for the opportunity."

Third-year running back Jerick McKinnon will have the next chance to make an impact at running back for the Vikings.

The Panthers will have their own committee in the backfield, with coach Ron Rivera indicating Cameron Artis-Payne will be active as the "lead" back and Fozzy Whittaker also in the mix along with short-yardage back Mike Tolbert with Jonathan Stewart (hamstring) likely out a few weeks. Whittaker responded when Stewart was injured against the San Francisco 49ers by gaining a career-best 100 yards on the ground.

"He's a stout inside runner," Rivera said of Artis-Payne, who was inactive against San Francisco. "He's more 'plant that leg and drive straight ahead,' where Fozzy is a little bit more niftier, a little bit better lateral movement."

Carolina quarterback Cam Newton threw for four touchdowns in the latest game, another example of the flexibility the Panthers have on offense.

Seven teammates caught passes from Newton when a 46-27 win over the 49ers marked the most points ever in a Carolina home opener.

"Everybody is on board," Newton said. "We're firing from all cylinders and it's fun to be a part of and I know it's fun to watch."

Minnesota had been going through change since quarterback Teddy Bridgewater was injured during the preseason. Bradford, who was traded to the Vikings from the Philadelphia Eagles before the opener, continues to settle in.

Minnesota's 2-0 start has made the transition easier to digest, at least for now.

"Just being here for two weeks, I'm more comfortable here," Bradford said. "Just having the time with those practices the last couple of weeks, I'm just more comfortable."

Bradford said he anticipates that Carolina's defense could have a different plan without having to deal with Peterson.

"We can't like that affect us," Bradford said. "If you spend too much time dwelling on that, it's going to affect your play. ... We'll have to see how defenses play us from here on out. I can imagine we'll see some different looks now than when we had him in the game."

The Vikings put offensive tackle Matt Kalil on injured reserve this week as well, so coupled with Peterson's injury that was a double-whammy for the team.

"I feel like we have to come back to work and go play Carolina," Zimmer said, summing up his thoughts on the topic. " ... At this point and time, I think it's tough to find left tackles."

Minnesota's injury report means Carolina center Matt Kalil won't be in the same game as his younger brother.

Zimmer said he's turning his attention to the Panthers, whose offense can create trouble in various ways in part because of Newton's mobility.

"It makes it difficult," Zimmer said. "You have to be very disciplined in what you're doing. ... They scored 46 last week, so they can do a lot of things."

Panthers tight end Greg Olsen said the team is capable of moving on after injuries or mistakes.

"We don't really worry about a lot of that, we just keep playing," he said.

In a 2014 victory over Carolina, the Vikings kept Newton under control. He completed 18 of 35 passes for 194 yards, holding a 65.7 quarterback rating. Bridgewater checked in that day at 120.7.

The Panthers have won 14 consecutive home games at Bank of America Stadium, but their uneven performance -- in part because of four turnovers -- against San Francisco left questions for the reigning NFC champions.

"Too many things out there have to get straightened out and get taken care of," Rivera said.

Zimmer said this is a chance for his team to again show it can adjust.

"Everyone is concerned about that we don't have this, we don't have that," Zimmer said. "It's a team game. That's why we have 53 guys here, so we're trying to win as a team."

:Vikings: 24

:panthers: 20

Edited by 2-14

Would not at all be surprised if the Vikes pull the mild upset, they look pretty good so far. My fantasy defense in IDP consists 50% of Vikings lol.

I'm still going with the Panthers at home. They've won 14 straight at BoA, and Sam Bradford has not convinced me he's an actual QB just because of one good performance.

:Vikings: 20

:panthers: 27

Vikes win with this with their defense...

:Vikings: 20

:panthers: 17

BAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

17702058-mmmain.jpg

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

:panthers: 28

:Vikings: 13

• Upvote 1

With Camp gone Razor is trying to sneak his way into the role of forum funny guy

:insidejob:

When was I ever not "forum funnyguy". I'll admit to never being the forum's funnygunny, but that's somebody else entirely.

Saw that the Vikings have 95 rushing yards on the season. =/

Vikings WR Laquon Treadwell is inactive for Week 3 vs. the Panthers.

Treadwell played only two snaps in Week 2, so it's not a huge surprise. It's still puzzling, as the Vikings need their first-rounder to get going as they transition to being more of a pass-heavy offense.
Also inactive for the Vikings are RB Ronnie Hillman, LB Kentrell Brothers, C Nick Easton, DT Sharrif Floyd and TE MyCole Pruitt.
Source: Matt Vensel on Twitter

Panthers declared RB Jonathan Stewart, WR Brenton Bersin, WR Damiere Byrd, LB Jeremy Cash, CB Teddy Williams, OG Tyler Larsen, and DE Ryan Delaire inactive for Week 3 against the Vikings.

There are no surprises on this list. Stewart is expected to miss at least a couple games.

This OL is so bad that it won't even matter that Carolina has a suspect secondary

Danielle Hunter might be the best draft picks of Spielman's career.

That's a freak play for Cam to get hurt on :( hope he's ok

Now THAT is a statement drive. Now the defense needs to continue to step up.

Edited by BwareDWare94

Michael Oher is such a joke at LT. Everson Griffen just killed him all day

Love how when GB looks bad against the Vikes, we make a thread that A-Rod is regressing. When Carolina looks bad against the Vikes, the Panthers are regressing. Maybe the Vikings defense is just that good? Just a thought. Made two top-5 QBs look awful in back to back weeks. Just possibly it has to do with the defense.

Panthers looked lackadaisical after the first quarter. That was the worst game I've seen them play in two years.

Vikings offense scored 13 points on our defense, defense played fine. Outside of one drive to start the second half, the Vikings did jack shit on offense.

I am so sick and tired of ST giving up huge plays, the coach has got to go. I get that he's a cancer survivor and a great guy, but he sucks ass at ST coaching.

Andy Lee is the man. Vikings forced him to re-kick instead of taking the ball at the 16, so he downed them at the 4, lmao. He's worth the 4th rounder so far.

O-Line completely sucks ass atm. Cam had zero time at all in the second half.

Fuck Jerome Boger and his ticky tack calls all day. Hate him and his whole crew, give me any other ref crew in the entire league.

Kelvin Benjamin needs to get his head out of his damn ass. Two awful penalties that didn't even affect the play, negating a 55 yard run by Fozzy that would have given us first and goal at the 4, and a 15 yard run to the outside by CAP.

KB and Funchess had one damn target all day long. Combined. Benjamin was just completely off, running routes wrong, committing penalties, just an awful awful day.

Cam has GOT to get rid of the ball faster. Eight sacks is a lot, and a lot of people are going to solely blame the O-line, and they deserve their share, but Cam has got to have his internal clock going on and he has to throw the ball away or scramble or something.

Offense just looked completely out of sync, a great defense will do that to you, but there was something off more than just the Vikes defense.

Gg to the Vikes and grats on a fantastic defensive performance. Really doubt Atlanta can do the same next week but we'll see.

I'm surprised the Panthers were so willing to go away fron Artis-Payne as the game went on. He was gaining tough, valuable yards.

Benjamin was so bad that the Vikings actually quit having Rhodes shadow him lol

The Vikings are actually pretty decent, damn.

KB was a little fucking child today. Got upset he wasn't getting the ball and got his ass sat down because he was pouting about it.

The Vikes are going to hatefuck Eli Manning next week, lmao.

Edited by Thanatos

I'm surprised the Panthers were so willing to go away fron Artis-Payne as the game went on. He was gaining tough, valuable yards.

Benjamin was so bad that the Vikings actually quit having Rhodes shadow him lol

Shula is still not a good offensive coordinator. He just isn't. He can't make adjustments, period. He's had an elite QB and a great O-line and they bail him out of stupid playcalling a lot.

CAP was playing great and then just... poof. No more carries.

With 10 minutes left in the 4th- and with four drives in the second half- Carolina had thrown the ball FOUR times in the second half. He just flat out sucks.

Edited by Thanatos

Has he shown any tendency to be a diva before? I hadn't seen any indication of that before today.

Has he shown any tendency to be a diva before? I hadn't seen any indication of that before today.

Not to my knowledge. I have no idea what happened to KB. One target all game and on that one target he ran the wrong route and nearly got the ball picked off.

Too bad the rest of the South sucks too much ass for Carolina to actually not win it. Again.

Are you SURE you aren't a Bills fan? You have more optimism for Buffalo than most of their fans, lmao. They aren't catching NE, sorry.

Edited by Thanatos

I'm sure it'll be a one time thing, then. Rhodes completely negated him when they matched up in his rookie year, too. He just got in his head.

Rhodes wasn't even on him the majority of the game, lol. It was Newman. There is no excuse for that.

Rhodes was on Ginn at first, Ginn beat him on two plays. He beat him again in the 3rd, but missed the catch and they swapped Newman onto Ginn- made no sense to me- for a bit.

Benji wasn't even targeted but one time. Give him a chance to go get it, please.