Sign in to follow this  
Cherry

Is It Time To End The Bortles Experiment?

Bortles has been increasingly poor with accuracy and is an absolute turnover machine. The Jags thought there was a lot of promise to make him that early of a pick, but so far he's making big plays and following them up with big mistakes. Would the Jags be best off if they simply sacked Bortles (Like everyone else does) and rebuilding with a new quarterback and coach this following year?

And if Bortles leaves, where do you think he will go/how much will he make?

Not a chance. What Blake needs is an actual running game to lean on. He feels too much pressure to create and tries to do to much. This is pretty fixable if they can get Ivory healthy and let him make the best of that OL.

New coach, but you don't give up on a third year QB who has shown plenty of flashes. If Miami thinks Ryan Tannehill is still feasible, there's no reason that Jacksonville should consider going away from Bortles.

The Jags have a defensive coach who doesn't know defense -- where do you think that leaves the offense? He needs more time.

I'm not sure better coaching prevents his frequent cases of on-field stupidity. Some of the things he does everyone knows not to do, but he does them anyway...

I'm not sure better coaching prevents his frequent cases of on-field stupidity. Some of the things he does everyone knows not to do, but he does them anyway...

Mike McCarthy neutered Brett Favre (and made him better)... It's definitely possible.

Bortles sorta reminds me of Josh Freeman. They both had amazing 2nd years. But fell off after that. I think he follows that same path. He is throwing way too many picks and his accuracy is poop. Even last year it was below 60%. I think he can fix it, much like Freeman couldve if he actually cared about football

• Upvote 1

Sounds like the Jay Cutler syndrome. There's no cure for that.

No just wait til he plays us. He will play so well he will bring the I guess he can play convo back.

In all seriousness, no way you give up on Bortles. The kid has crazy arm talent. Just needs some coaching up that's all.

Yea, Lions fans have been saying for ages that Stafford is trash, when all he needed was just an OC who let him run the offense his way.

In all my years as a Lions fan I've seen the trashiest of trashy QBs, I know what they look like. Bortles has all the potential to be a great QB and I think he showed it in 2015. He needs better coaching and patience.

But... his motion is terribly awkward and his mechanics have been questionable at best. Stuff that can easily be fixed though

• Upvote 1

Yea, Lions fans have been saying for ages that Stafford is trash, when all he needed was just an OC who let him run the offense his way.

In all my years as a Lions fan I've seen the trashiest of trashy QBs, I know what they look like. Bortles has all the potential to be a great QB and I think he showed it in 2015. He needs better coaching and patience.

But... his motion is terribly awkward and his mechanics have been questionable at best. Stuff that can easily be fixed though

You are 1 - 2, gonna finish 3rd in the division, miss the playoffs, and still have no QB.

53786221.jpg

Good try F4E but I've got enough Honolulu blue and silver kool-aid to last my spirit and hope till December. So I can't get fazed with all that hatin shit, tbh.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

I just have zero faith in project QBs like that who you need to seek out a perfect OC for. It's not worth betting on a guy like that IMO. Stuff like mechanics and accuracy aren't "easily fixed".

Kinda torn on this. On one side you have the poor coaching and play. On the other you have a highly talented QB who you knew was raw coming out. This regime time is up and I'm not sure if I was the next HC. If I would want to bank my career on a project QB who may reach his ceiling.

Kinda torn on this. On one side you have the poor coaching and play. On the other you have a highly talented QB who you knew was raw coming out. This regime time is up and I'm not sure if I was the next HC. If I would want to bank my career on a project QB who may reach his ceiling.

This was a lot of what I was getting at. With Bradley gone, I wouldn't be sure of the new HC keeping Bortles around more than a year. If the guy is unable to learn better mechanics and fix his game, I'd rather draft my own guy and take my chances with someone I hand-picked.

The Jags also have no running game whatsoever to speak of. They get themselves in a lot of 3rd and 7 or more, which makes sustaining drives difficult for a variety of reasons.

The Jags also have no running game whatsoever to speak of. They get themselves in a lot of 3rd and 7 or more, which makes sustaining drives difficult for a variety of reasons.

Right. But at the same time, Bortles was a project coming into the NFL. He has shown the flashes of greatness. But again, can the next HC and GM really bank on him really reaching those heights? If he fails they could be out of jobs now too.

I personally think the Jags new regime may give him 1 year, while drafting someone they like too.

• Upvote 1

Any QB that has shown flashes of greatness is worth giving a chance to. Look how many teams are always looking for a quarterback. The Browns come to mind. And no, Kessler isn't the future. He's a backup. If the Jags let Bortles go, there is no guarantee that they will find a QB with more upside. At this point I believe you have to stick with the guy and see what he has, for better or worse.

A coaching change is definitely a great idea though. Gus is a loser.

We waited on Stafford to turn the corner for 7 years. Bradford still hasn't turned it. Gabbert is probably never going to. Jake Locker never did. It's easier to let some shit team overpay Bortles and draft a new guy or a placeholder like Kessler while you try to find someone you love. And while you wait on that franchise QB, stock talent around the placeholder in hopes of competing.

I still disagree. Bortles deserves a chance to play with a real head coach. Until he gets that chance, it's really not fair IMO to say he'll never amount to anything.

So I saw this on another site, my eyes though...

pAAJ99A.png

I still think Bortles is extremely talented, and still needs time to develop... But if I was the Jaguars, I'd start looking at possible future alternatives...