Sign in to follow this  
Socal

Socal Walked From Mexico to Canada

Congrats on not getting mauled by a bear!

• Upvote 1

Pretty awesome pics. :yep:

• Upvote 1

That is a long fuckin walk man.

• Upvote 1

Loved the pics, man. Especially the waterfalls and the clouds hanging over the mountains.

• Upvote 1

Was cool following your progress the entire way. So glad you made it through safely. Guys at work saw a bunch of your stuff and said you're a badass.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, guys. It was a fun journey, although tiring and painful much of the time. I lost track of all the injuries that I had

Nice man! That is pretty awesome. Do you mind going over some of the logistics? What did you pack? How did you get food while on the trip? I've been thinking of taking a few months off after grad school and hiking the Appalachian Trail.

• Upvote 1

I was wondering recently how your thru-hike went... awesome jerb, socol. :yep::smug:

• Upvote 1

I've never been out West...those pictures seem like they are totally fake and from another country.

Going through all of them made me feel like I was in a movie or something...I can only imagine how this was in person.

Awesome, Socal. This is what life should be about.

• Upvote 1

4 months? What a loser. I could've driven that way faster ;)

That's a seriously awesome trip and I'm glad you had a good time doing it.

• Upvote 1

Damn man some of these pictures are incredible. Hats off 5 miles is about as far as I will walk.

• Upvote 1

Nice man! That is pretty awesome. Do you mind going over some of the logistics? What did you pack? How did you get food while on the trip? I've been thinking of taking a few months off after grad school and hiking the Appalachian Trail.

There is a town or place to stop every 2-6 days while on trail. I personally just purchased food while I was in town for me next section but others prepackaged food and supplies beforehand and had a relative or friend send them.

There were a decent amount of people on trail that have also completed the Appalachian Trail. The two trails are very different so they are hard to compare but the experience I can imagine would be quite similar.

• Upvote 1

Ok, nobody has asked yet, so I will.

You mentioned injuries. What was the worst moment of the trip?

How did this hike make you feel physically? Obviously you were in great shape before, but what kinds of changes did you notice?

Edited by Sarge

Ok, nobody has asked yet, so I will.

You mentioned injuries. What was the worst moment of the trip?

How did this hike make you feel physically? Obviously you were in great shape before, but what kinds of changes did you notice?

The worst moment may have been on day 3 for me. I had actually injured my left knee on the first day, but I decided to push through it the next two days and try to tough it out. I ended up injuring my right knee on day 2 and then spraining my right ankle on day 3. I could hardly walk and my knees kept locking up on me the whole day. I eventually got close to town at mile 42 in the early afternoon and about a mile out my knees finally gave out and I collapsed to the ground. Right on cue it started to hail on me, May 8th in the Southern California desert lol. I sat there for about 10 minutes then limped into town. I took the next day to see if my condition would approve but I couldn't walk so I actually went home for 10 days.

The hiking greatly improved my cardiovascular and muscular endurance. However, it also destroyed my feet, my joints, burned my muscle away and generally made me feel like shit. While obviously it's doable, hiking 25-30 miles a day, day after day is a really unhealthy practice.

What was your footwear like, out of curiosity?

If you could turn back time, would you do it again, knowing what you do now? Would you do it a 2nd time?

What was your footwear like, out of curiosity?

I went through 8 pairs

1st pair Brooks Cascadia 10 trail runners

2nd pair Altra Olympus 2.5 trail runners

3rd pair Merrel Moab Mid hiking boots

4th pair Hoka One One Goat trail runners

5th pair Fila trail runners (found in a box because my Goats were stolen)

6th pair Brooks Cascadia 7 ( found in a hiker box)

7th pair Brooks Cascadia 10

8th pair Hoka One One trail runners

If you could turn back time, would you do it again, knowing what you do now? Would you do it a 2nd time?

I'd do it differently. I'd do what's called section hiking and hike the best parts of the trail instead of forcing myself to walk all of it. The thru hiking aspect of it I learned is all just rooted in personal ego. People think they're brave or special for walking hundreds of miles through ugly desert with little water in 100+ degree weather. That's bullshit IMO, you're not special, you're irresponsible. Sure it's challenging but it doesn't take any special skill or intelligence, just stubbornness.

Stubbornness is still a special skill. So when you section hike do you like go 40 km, and then like take a bus past the awful parts for another 40 km or something like that?

Stubbornness is still a special skill. So when you section hike do you like go 40 km, and then like take a bus past the awful parts for another 40 km or something like that?

True section hiking is just doing one section (up to 500 miles) then just ending your trip. What you described is what most thru hikers end up doing, the difference being that most hikers that claim to have finished the whole trail actually hitched large sections of the trail