Vin

Panthers @ Falcons

STATS LLC Associated Press

Sep 28, 2016

The Atlanta Falcons are feeling pretty good about the start to their season, but defensive shortcomings are a concern.

That could be just the tonic for a strangely sluggish offense for the Carolina Panthers.

The teams meet Sunday afternoon at the Georgia Dome, with the Falcons anticipating an agitated opponent.

"Plenty of us to shine a light on to improve on," Falcons coach Dan Quinn said despite back-to-back victories. "We're building toward that. We have a lot of work to do."

The Falcons rank first in the NFL in offense by scoring 34.7 points and gaining 448 yards per game. It has been a good blend of rushing and passing, with quarterback Matt Ryan completing more than 70 percent of his passes to go along with seven touchdowns with only one interception.

"Every time we go against them, they're physical," Ryan said of the matchup with the Panthers. "We're going to have to play our best football."

Carolina is coming off a 22-10 home loss to the Minnesota Vikings. They enter the game in Atlanta having not scored for more than 50 minutes.

"It just can't happen," Panthers coach Ron Rivera said of the inconsistencies. "We have to hone in and be more thorough."

Carolina receiver Kelvin Benjamin went without a reception and had only one ball throw his way against the Vikings after a two-touchdown outing the previous game, and quarterback Cam Newton vowed to have Benjamin more involved.

"There's one thing I've learned, if Cam says he's going to do something he's sure going to try to do it," Rivera said after learning of his quarterback's midweek comments.

Games in his hometown of Atlanta naturally take on more significance to him, Newton said, and his team's early struggles are bringing on added frustration.

"They don't care about Carolina," he said of the Falcons. "We're 1-2. We just can't get into the rhythm of winning. It is frustrating. ... We have to take that personal challenge that we have to be better."

The Panthers were so out of sync on the offensive line that Newton was sacked eight times by the Vikings.

"It's tough seeing him go down anytime," Panthers offensive guard Trai Turner said. "You never want to see your quarterback go down."

Newton wasn't going to blame his offensive line and brushed off the problem while turning the focus ahead.

"Just pressure recognition and get the ball out of my hand," Newton said. "Ready to take on the challenge from Atlanta."

But if the Falcons have shown shortcomings the past couple of weeks it has come in their pass defense. Plus, Atlanta's defense has notched only three sacks all season and that might account for why the Falcons have given up a fair share of big plays through the air.

"The explosive passes, that has to come down," Quinn said. "A couple of cases they were mental (mistakes)."

The Panthers, though, have various ways to move the ball on the ground and that's why they rank third in the NFL with an average of 146 rushing yards.

"This is a tough outfit," Quinn said of the Panthers. "It really (starts) off their run game. They have a number of packages they feature, and their quarterback is involved."

The Falcons had so many contributors in defeating New Orleans 45-32 on Monday night that Quinn is calling for a carryover of that type of team work.

"As a coach, that's what pumps you up," Quinn said. "You play as a whole group, a whole unit. You're pulling for one another. When you play team ball like that, that's what fires me up."

Adding to the efficiency, Atlanta wasn't called for an offensive penalty.

The Panthers brought back defensive tackle Kyle Love, who had started two games last year, this week to add to the interior pressure. While that gives Carolina another pass rusher, it's also something for the Falcons to consider.

"They're a very aggressive front, so every chance we get we're going to have to attack," Quinn said.

It will be the third matchup against a NFC South foe this season for the Falcons, who lost their only previous home game to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Quinn said the early schedule of divisional opponents heightened the importance of these games.

"Another chance for us (now) at home with our crowd here," he said.

It suddenly looks like a crucial game for the Panthers, who've lost three of their last five regular-season games dating to last season. Carolina had its perfect season halted last December in Atlanta after winning its first 14 games on the way to winning the NFC championship.

"I'm trying to get to 2-2," Newton said. "Last year is over with."

The Falcons also aren't putting much emphasis on what happened almost nine months ago.

"Each week and each season to me is new," Quinn said. "The important part of us is that we recognize this as a division game."

For Carolina, the Falcons are its most-played opponent, with Atlanta leading the series 25-17. This season's rematch won't come until Christmas Eve.

Carolina isn't gonna lose two in a row.

They'll be losing three.

:panthers: 17

:Falcons: 24

I worry about the Panthers secondary vs. Jones and Sanu. Atlanta can't pressure Newton, so Cam should be much better this week.

Panthers by 6

Here lies Than's hopes and dreams.

Cam Newton still sucks... Matt Ryan is nearly flawless... and Julio Jones is doing exactly what guys like Marvin Jones and Stefon Diggs to to the Packers (bad baaaaad things).

I don't think you understand what "averaging" means.

It was 104 points through first three games. :p

When it's only week 4, and you already have 2 more losses than you did all of last season...

236.png

8-8 doesn't look so bad now, does it? :kobe:

• Upvote 1

@Cherry: And you can subtract 7 points from the defense, 14 including today. We already know he has the mental intelligence of a five year old, it should come as no surprise that he can't do basic addition either.

Falcons offense is not as good as it seems. Denver and Seattle will show that. Panthers secondary just sucks ass.

Edited by Thanatos

James Bradberry hype train derailed on Than though :yao:

He wasn't even on Julio though. Bene was. Just inexplicable.

Love Phil crowing about picking a game correctly. Throw enough shit at the wall and some of it will stick. Grats on picking 3 out of 9 games correct so far this week!

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

Guys, go easy on PhilE, the Falcons are still averaging over 10 points a game.

Julio :phew:

Just to address something Cherry brought up, and something I was wondering as well because I didn't remember seeing him, James Bradberry was hurt during the first quarter. He could not make the cuts necessary to cover a WR and played the rest of the game solely doing ST work.

• Upvote 1

Cornerback Josh Norman didn't hold back when he was asked about how the Carolina Panthers, who rescinded his franchise tag in April, allowed 300 yards receiving to Atlanta Falcons wide receiverJulio Jones in a 48-33 loss Sunday.

"You get what you pay for," Norman said Monday on ESPN's The Dan Le Batard Show.

:kobe:

Norman isn't the problem. As I said, Bradberry was out. The issue is the pass rush.

I think coaching is the big issue. The talent Carolina has, has carried them wherever they have gone. Take away some of that talent and the lackluster coaches overshadow whats left.

Shula is a moron, this has been established.

But I mean, Gettleman banked everything on having a good enough defensive line to get pressure without blitzing, and thus prevent the young secondary from getting exposed. Yet we are 25th in the league in getting pressure without blitzing. Our front four is doing zilch. Short in a contract year is playing his worst ball.

Vernon Butler is honestly doing the best, although he has had limited playing time compared to the others.

But you can't build a secondary around having a great defensive front... and then not have a great defensive front. Your secondary will get exposed.

Edited by Thanatos

Good lord Benewikere. This is a breakdown of all 12 Julio catches and who was responsible for covering him on the play.

James Bradberry – 3 reception for 46 yards (this is very not good, considering these were all in the first quarter)

Luke Kuechly – 1 reception for 18 yards (near interception)

Daryl Worley – 1 reception for 43 yards

Bene Benwikere – 7 receptions for 193 yards

There is no way with Norman still on the Panthers...Julio goes for 300 yards.

Don't be ridiculous.

Did I say that? No I did not. Norman might even have turned that game into a W, not really sure. But just having Norman back would not right the ship defensively, there are a lot more problems than just missing one corner.

Carolina's defense is built on getting pressure on the QB, thus hiding a secondary which has never really been more than average. That's why we went 12-4 in 2013 with Captain Munnerlyn and Melvin White as starting CBs.

We are 18th in pressuring a QB, and it gets worse if you remove blitzes from the equation, which really defeats the point as blitzing leaves CBs by themselves.

The Panthers released Bene Benwikere and signed Zack Sanchez from the practice squad.