Sign in to follow this  
Wentz World

Fools Gold

To piggy back the other thread of "Panic or Relax"

Which of the current NFL teams do you see as fools gold?

The :Ravens: top my list. They sit at 3-1, but those wins come against Buffalo, Browns and Jags. Not exactly world beater teams. I don't see that D maintaining its level of play against NFL caliber offenses.

Ravens and Raiders both came to my mind immediately. Both have had very easy schedules and have barely beaten some bad teams. To go into more detail, I think the Raiders will be in a lot of shootouts due to their bad defense, and I don't think their offense is ready to win the shootouts against the better teams. For the Ravens, their pass D is atrocious and they just don't have the firepower on offense to keep up.

The Raiders actually have talent on Defense. They need to let Mack be a stand up rusher. Putting him in the dirt is crippling his ability. They should be getting Mario Edwards back soon too.

• Upvote 1

I think the Raiders are a sneaky good team, and man.. Derek Carr is SO good in crunch time. You have to believe if a game is even remotely close, the Raiders have a chance to win that game.

I don't want to be boring, but I think it has to be the Ravens. What are they doing? Do they even know?

I'm going to say Philadelphia. I think Wentz will run away with offensive rookie of the year and will likely go to the Pro Bowl, but the sub par pieces around him will implode at some point. Also, they'll likely lose Lane Johnson, which could prove disastrous.

I hope I'm wrong because Carson is doing amazing things for North Dakota State and North Dakota in general. To hear our state mentioned over and over again on major sports networks is not only bringing national attention to the state, it's put a general good feeling into every day life in communities all over the state.

What Carson Wentz does in Philadelphia positively impacts thr way people are feeling in not only Fargo, but tiny communities like mine 2.5 hours northwest of the FM metro.

I'd address the Rams but we all know they suck.

Atlanta comes to mind. They can't rush the passer and their front 7 will put too much pressure on their secondary and as soon as teams defend Atlanta a little better they'll regress to the mean.

The Raiders actually have talent on Defense. They need to let Mack be a stand up rusher. Putting him in the dirt is crippling his ability. They should be getting Mario Edwards back soon too.

They have some talent, but it hasn't shown on the field yet. 27+ points allowed in 3 of their 4 games. I'll need to see them perform at a high level before I buy it.

Edited by AllYouNeedIsLovie

The Eagles defense has been surprisingly good though which I think keeps them out of Fool's Gold territory.

The Eagles defense has been surprisingly good though which I think keeps them out of Fool's Gold territory.

I worry about their secondary. They're also not deep at all. Any injury could be disastrous.

They have some talent, but it hasn't shown on the field yet. 27+ points allowed in 3 of their 4 games. I'll need to see them perform at a high level before I buy it.

Too many new pieces on that side of the ball. They'll mesh eventually

And they all need to stop dropping the damn ball.

I like the potential of DGB with Wentz.

Probably the Falcons as well. We'll see how Matty Slush does against a real defense.

Rams and Ravens are the only ones that stick out that much to me. I'd say Texans as well.

Ravens are a top team in the NFL. Their defense is incredibly stout and it will keep them in all games.

They just happened to run into Derek Carr who is playing out of his mind right now.

Raiders and Ravens are both going to be competitive and between the Raiders elite offense and the Ravens elite defense it very well could carry both teams to the playoffs.

Ravens are a top team in the NFL. Their defense is incredibly stout and it will keep them in all games.

They just happened to run into Derek Carr who is playing out of his mind right now.

Raiders and Ravens are both going to be competitive and between the Raiders elite offense and the Ravens elite defense it very well could carry both teams to the playoffs.

A team that beat the Jags and Browns by a combined 7 points is a top team in the NFL? I'm not buying that. Definitely not buying that they have an elite defense either.

Carr is playing well right now, but again, look at his opponents and their defenses. I want to see how he fares against a good defense before I say that he can carry them into the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

The Ravens also lost a lot close games last year. Like... A lot.

They were essentually, coming into the season, pythagorean theorem/pythagorean expectations darlings. It's only week 4 but I like their chances to get into the playoffs.

As to how good they really are, I honestly don't know, but that defense has a lot going for it.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Houston is a joke. Minnesota is going to annihilate them. Rhodes will dominate Hopkins

• Upvote 1

Rhodes will dominate Hopkins

Now you're getting a bit into homer territory.

Pardon that post--I'd had a few when I said that

• Upvote 1

Texans are pretenders at 3-1. They'll probably still win the shitty AFC South, but will likely be one and done in the playoffs. (Again)

Texans and Ravens are the two biggest pretenders in the league to me. I don't even think either are top-20 teams.

when you go to the playoffs every other year for the first 20 years of your existence ,you are a top 20 team easily

Maybe over the course of 20 years you're a top 20 team.

• Upvote 1

Lmao.

Edited by Thanatos
  • Upvote 1

Baltimore will be fine because there are so few elite level teams. Houston will be fine because their division is horrible. Paper tigers they might be, but they will survive 2016.

Los Angeles, on the other hand...

they are 3-1 so they are obviously a top 20 team now.

Yes right now in the 2016 season they are a top 20 team. My point was insinuating you're a top 20 team based on the past 20 years rather than this year is silly.

You are what you are on Sunday, and you're different every Sunday. Identity is such an overrated concept in football. What you really should be aiming for is adaptability. The best teams adjust in-game because they're capable of adjusting in-game. Teams with an "identity" are usually teams that can only do one thing well.