Sign in to follow this  
OSUViking

NaNoWriMo

Since I've had a lot of free time lately, I decided I was going to take up writing again. A friend of mine introduced me to this project called National Novel Writing Month, so I gave it a look. It's basically a site where it challenges you to write a 50,000 word book in roughly 30 days, using October to plan and outline your novel.

So far, I've got the first act of my own story planned out. I thought that some of you may like this idea since we have some writers here. If anyone is interested and wants to exchange ideas lemme know.

http://nanowrimo.org/dashboard

• Upvote 1

I've tried doing this before, I hit 30k words two years ago, maybe I can try and break it this year. Maybe. Problem with me is I always lose my motivation half way through the challenge.

• Upvote 1

I usually hit the end of the first chapter of a book. I actually took the time to outline and it has really paid off.

So a good amount of the people that agreed to outline with me have disappeared. I haven't been able to get any responses from other people on the site, so would anyone be willing to help me outline/brainstorm?

So since I've always had huge issues with actually finishing my projects, I decided to hold myself accountable via other people. I already shared this on Facebook, but like I said in the Shoutbox I wouldn't be where I am in writing without TGP. So, I wanna share it with you guys. You can follow the story as I write it, if you choose to do so.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kxWezj64wKFZgZvqJa11jVgv8MM3psb9DyqO4knSg4o/edit?usp=sharing

Sweetness. Best of luck to you, OSU. I have something shitty in the works, but I have no idea how far I'll get or how well it'll go.

• Upvote 1

As an aside, I love how the month devoted to novel writing has an abbreviated title.

• Upvote 1

I started early because I was feeling it one night. I'm at 9,087 words so far.

Edited by OSUViking

Uh yeah, I'm just keeping above pace right now, 2282 words atm.

• Upvote 1

Very cool. Ive been working on several stories over the years but mostly in my head. Its been difficult to get past the conceptual phase. Maybe next year

• Upvote 1

Very cool. Ive been working on several stories over the years but mostly in my head. Its been difficult to get past the conceptual phase. Maybe next year

I ran into the same issue countless times. I think I've announced that I was working on a book like four or five times on TGP alone. I decided to finally buck up and outline the fuck out of it. Outlining isn't for everyone, but it helped me.

I'm a pantser. I find it's more important to just start writing than to say "yeah I'm gonna write" and then never do it.

Excellent, OSU. I've finished three chapters, and just hit 12k (12045). Good to see we're both ahead of the pace so far.

• Upvote 1

Update: I had a little bit of wobble after the election disaster, but I'm back on track with 25,000 words. Half way there.

Just keeping to the pace. The Nano wall hit me hard in the third week, but I was able to keep writing ~1000 words or so to keep me on the level. I just cracked 45,000 today, which means I don't even need to hit 1000 each day from this point on to break the mark.

• Upvote 1

Congrats, Razor. I hit a big snag and then lost a lot of motivation. Then finals/projects started rearing their heads. I'm gonna start up again after this semester is over.