BigBen07

Official Hockey Thread

Oh, no doubt. In a normal world (without outliers, as blots put it) he's the greatest hockey player of all time.

Speaking of this sort of discussion...

Who do you guys think is the greatest goalie of all time? A friend and I were debating it the other day, and we came to a consensus that it was Brodeur.

• Upvote 1

I think hockey is a lot like football in that things have changed so much over the years that it's impossible to compare goalies. I mean it's easy to say Wayne is the best non-goalie ever being that nobody is really anywhere near his talent and production. I don't think there has ever been a goalie where you're like wow, nobody has ever been as good as this guy or will be.

However my personal vote would go to Patrick Roy. Winning multiple Cups and Conn Smythes with more than one team is an impressive feat. Also he is the only player to win that award 3 times, and he's the one that made the butterfly technique popular for goalies. But as time went on, goalie pads got bigger and some of the rules changed, so it's hard to say.

Edited by Sarge

Oh, no doubt. In a normal world (without outliers, as blots put it) he's the greatest hockey player of all time.

Speaking of this sort of discussion...

Who do you guys think is the greatest goalie of all time? A friend and I were debating it the other day, and we came to a consensus that it was Brodeur.

Obviously I'm just a bit biased but it's hard to argue against Brodeur. The guy was great for almost a 20-year span (won a cup in 1995 and got to the Cup in 2012), all-time leader in shutouts (and has a ton of games where he only let in one goal), all-time leader in wins and could move the puck well (I don't know how much you want to factor that in but it was a great asset, moreso before the trapezoid was implemented).

It's almost like the system argument that people have with Brady in the NFL. Did he benefit? Absolutely but I have a hard time arguing them both being the best of all-time in their positions. Roy and Hasek are right up there though.

By the way Steven.....Steve Mason 0-8 all-time against the Devils after last night. :smug:

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Brodeur is a valid argument if you don't mind being 100% objectively wrong.

• Upvote 1

Some of the shot totals Brodeur faced in the Final vs. Anaheim were pathetic. I'll have to go with Roy. 3 time Conn Smythe end of discussion. Hasek best regular season goalie.

Less than 23 shots a game faced... that's not stressful at all.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/playoffs/2003-mighty-ducks-of-anaheim-vs-new-jersey-devils-stanley-cup-final.html

Brodeur against the Avs had a .870 in the final :D

In the 1995 Final Marty faced around 18 a game. See my point :yao:

I thank you for sweeping the Red Wings tho!!!

Also Mario's career points per game is not far from Wayne's at all. I don't think they are far apart in greatness.

Edited by Bay

Some of the shot totals Brodeur faced in the Final vs. Anaheim were pathetic. I'll have to go with Roy. 3 time Conn Smythe end of discussion. Hasek best regular season goalie.

Less than 23 shots a game faced... that's not stressful at all.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/playoffs/2003-mighty-ducks-of-anaheim-vs-new-jersey-devils-stanley-cup-final.html

Brodeur against the Avs had a .870 in the final :D

In the 1995 Final Marty faced around 18 a game. See my point :yao:

I thank you for sweeping the Red Wings tho!!!

Also Mario's career points per game is not far from Wayne's at all. I don't think they are far apart in greatness.

If you're arguing shots Brodeur has a better save percentage than Roy so I'm not sure what you're argument is here....

Let's not forget Brodeur is the all-time leader in goals for a goalie and second in points. :smug:

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Brodeur isn't leading by much and Roy played in the 80s so of course his will be lower. :yep:

Wayne had the right conditions in his favor that allowed him to set his records: lesser teams and travel, protection, good health in his prime, a high scoring era and excellent talent. And he executed pretty damn good.

Bobby Orr can make a strong case for GOAT.

As for top tier goalies: give me Marty and Roy in the modern era.

Edited by BigBen07

Super Mario was really good but no one is better than Gretzky.

Also how have I seen a conversation about who's the better player between McConner and Crosby. It's not even close, especially with how ridiculous Crosby has been playing this season despite missing 11? Games. 25 goals is unreal and the next highest scorer doesn't have 20

Super Mario was really good but no one is better than Gretzky.

The reason why Orr can be considered better than Gretzky is because he was a real constant two way player. He didn't just sit back on defense, he was involved in a lot of offensive rushes and even led a lot of them.

Edited by BigBen07

Benny didn't you tell me Lemieux is arguably as good as Gretz was?

Benny didn't you tell me Lemieux is arguably as good as Gretz was?

:yep: Only problem is that Mario had injury issues plus lost a year to cancer.

Agreed on the McDavid/Crosby talk. Same applies to Laine and Matthews.

Edited by BigBen07
  • Upvote 1

Get ready for the Columbus-Minnesota Stanley Cup Final

Get ready for the Columbus-Minnesota Stanley Cup Final

They play tomorrow so that should be interesting.

They play tomorrow so that should be interesting.

Yeah, both having insane win streaks.

Hell of a run CBJ. Hats of to ya. Enjoyed watching Cam Atkinson explode into a star.

Rooting for Ottawa, Philly, Ducks in the West. If the Caps want to go far that's fine with me, too.

Leafs are fun to watch. Lot of young talent.

Capitals now have 9 players with 10+ goals and two goalies with 3+ shutouts :Banana:

Zadorov tho

Been watching Wild games all year and hoping to pick up on other good teams to watch. Suggestions?

I have seen Columbus play and am in awe of how fast they are.

Been watching Wild games all year and hoping to pick up on other good teams to watch. Suggestions?

I have seen Columbus play and am in awe of how fast they are.

If you like speed you have to watch an Oilers game to see Connor McDavid play.

• Upvote 1