BigBen07

Official Hockey Thread

I have been critical of the officiating of this series, so I want to be the first to say...

Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Penguins. They deserve all the credit in the world. Yes, the officiating was suspect in the Cup Finals, but the Penguins were clearly the better team, and any proper hockey fan knows it.

The Stanley Cup might be the hardest championship trophy to win in sports. That's why the Penguins being the first consecutive champion in the NHL salary cap era is goddamn impressive. I hate their guts, but this deserves respect.

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On a scale of 1-10 how wrong is it that I kind of hope post concussion syndrome ruins Crosby's life after hockey? lol

I have been critical of the officiating of this series, so I want to be the first to say...

Congratulations to the Pittsburgh Penguins. They deserve all the credit in the world. Yes, the officiating was suspect in the Cup Finals, but the Penguins were clearly the better team, and any proper hockey fan knows it.

The Stanley Cup might be the hardest championship trophy to win in sports. That's why the Penguins being the first consecutive champion in the NHL salary cap era is goddamn impressive. I hate their guts, but this deserves respect.

Not with ya on this one, bud.

The officials flat out stole a goal from the Preds in game 6. Full stop. There is zero argument that the Preds should not have been up 1-0 at that point, which changes the entire game. They've been awful all series. Crosby running Subban's head into the ice over and over again right in front of a ref, for example. When you have two teams competing in the finals, they are presumably pretty evenly matched. The refs taking away a goal with an awful early whistle is a huge factor- and it turned out to be the deciding factor. Game 6 should have gone into OT, at least, although if Nashville is up 1-0 with 5 min left, they are probably playing very differently. Same with Pitt, though so its hard to know what would have happened. But we should have been able to find out.

Pitt seems to consistently get calls that other teams do not. There were a couple early whistles in the Caps series too, if I recall correctly. It's not like I hate Pitt, either, I started out watching them when I first started watching hockey, so I don't really have that hate for them that other Caps fans would. Just calling it like I see it.

Regardless, NHL should be ashamed that the refs played a huge role in the final game for the Stanley Cup.

I'd still give Pitt a 90% chance to win game 7 at home, to be sure, but the Preds should have had an opportunity to force that game 7.

Edited by Thanatos

On a scale of 1-10 how wrong is it that I kind of hope post concussion syndrome ruins Crosby's life after hockey? lol

I don't know the answer, but whatever it is applies to me too.

• Upvote 1

10, and this is coming from an unabashed Crosby hater, as far as Crosby the hockey player goes I couldn't care less, but I do have a genuine concern for Crosby the human being

Second year in a row that Crosby wasn't deserving of the Conn Smythe, and yet Bettman's lovechild gets it...

Massively agreed on this. It's pretty ridiculous how it's become a popularity contest the past two years. Malkin and Murray were far more deserving IMO.

I don't know the answer, but whatever it is applies to me too.

You lost the right to sit on your political high horse.

I would never wish health problems on my worst enemy, let alone someone playing a sport that I never met. Thought you were better than that.

• Upvote 2

Relax man it's just a joke. I can't speak for blots but I know I would feel like a dick if he got Parkinson's or something. If he did get Parkinson's though he'd be guaranteed health care as a Canadian lol.

Yeah, it's still a death sentence though...

Nashville went 0 for 4 on the powerplay, including a long 5 on 3 fwiw. Then... to give up a goal like that on home ice in an elimination game, just brutal.

Nashville went 0 for 4 on the powerplay, including a long 5 on 3 fwiw. Then... to give up a goal like that on home ice in an elimination game, just brutal.

Ouch. That sucks.

Preds should look for some quality scoring in the offseason if they can. :yep:

I'm going with Thanatos on the Golden Knight wagon because, like him, I was never really a fan of any NHL team and want to become one. Season starts Wednesday. (Friday for the Knights).

Edited by Sparty
  • Upvote 2

Can't wait for Friday!!!!! GO Golden knights!! And of course go leafs go !

Ovechkin is currently on pace for 246 goals :smug:

Enjoying this win cause there will be very few.

Blackhawks scoring 10 on the Penguins :inouteek:

Lmaojets. Patrick fucking Marleau

Good thing didn't wake up at 11 am

Ovechkin is currently on pace for 246 goals :smug:

Update: after two games Ovechkin is now on pace for 287 goals :smug:

Don't look now but Vegas is 2-0 sweet ot winner by Neal