Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Chiefs @ Raiders

STATS LLC Associated Press

Oct 12, 2016

The Kansas City Chiefs and Oakland Raiders face off twice a year and have done so in their 57 seasons together in first the American Football League and since 1970, the National Football League.

The games are almost always entertaining, aggressively played and sometimes have extracurricular activity during the play and after the whistle. It's considered one of pro football's most storied rivalries.

That has not been the case over the last two decades, however. Both franchises have struggled for consistent winning and been unable to grab a Super Bowl victory.

As the Chiefs (2-2) come off their bye week and head to Oakland for Sunday's game against the Raiders (4-1), both teams are without losing records. Kickoff is 3:05 p.m. CDT at the Oakland Coliseum.

The last time the teams did not sport at least one losing record before the game was 2010. The most recent case where both teams had a winning record going into one of their two games was in 2002.

Oakland reached the Super Bowl after that '02 season, before losing to Tampa Bay in the title game. That's also the last time the Raiders were 4-1.

Coach Jack Del Rio's team is on a three-game winning streak that hasn't always been pretty, but has the Raiders tied for the AFC West lead with Denver.

"I think we have a healthy perspective of what we want to look like and knowing that we're not quite there," Del Rio said. "There is a lot of work in front of us. I don't think anybody would disagree with that. A lot of things we must do better as we go forward. We're working hard at it."

For coach Andy Reid and his Chiefs, they've been sitting with the vile taste in their mouth of a 43-14 butt-whipping provided by the Pittsburgh Steelers on Oct. 2.

No one involved in Kansas City has reached for a panic button given the club's performance last season when they started 1-5, but then won 10 straight games to make the playoffs and picked up a first-round shutout of the Houston Texans.

Reid has spent two weeks looking at his team's four-game performance, where inconsistency is the best description of their play. The Chiefs failed in all three phases of the game against Pittsburgh, so improvement is imperative across the board.

"We've got to coach better, we've got to play better," Reid said. "We all have to do a better job against this team."

Last season, the Chiefs swept the Raiders, winning by 14 points in Oakland and six points in Kansas City. Since arriving at Arrowhead Stadium, Reid's record against the Raiders is 5-1 and including his time in Philadelphia, he has an overall 6-3 vs. Oakland.

Where Reid's record glitters is after a bye week. In 17 seasons with the Eagles and Chiefs, his teams are 15-2 post-bye. Reid has a regular-season career winning percentage of .592, but his teams in the week after bye have won at a .882 clip.

"Every year is different," Reid said. "It's situational, who you play and where you play. I don't even look at that."

The young Raiders have shown major growth this season when it comes to handling themselves in close games. They've won by one, seven, one and three points, after losing five games last season by six points or fewer.

It's an impressive improvement from a team that against San Diego started five rookies and used a dozen first-year players in their victory.

"We wanted to take a step forward in terms of understanding how you flourish in those situations and make the winning plays," Del Rio said. "The NFL is about close games and you have to play well in those critical moments in order to win."

Raiders quarterback Derek Carr confirms that a lot of sweat has gone into establishing a winning mindset in the huddle.

"We work extremely hard and especially in those situations," Carr said. "We spend a lot of time throwing routes, going over coverage, going over two-minute drills, end of game situations.

"You hang your hat on that. We've done this before. Let's be confident when we take the field and go do it."

One factor that should help the Chiefs is a bigger role for running back Jamaal Charles. He's one year and five days removed from the torn ACL in his right knee and Reid said this week that baring any setbacks, his role should expand from the 10 plays and two carries he saw against Pittsburgh.

I hate the Cheifs

I hate Andy Reid...

And I hate to say I feel we lose this game. They are coming off their bye after getting asshammered by Pitt and they just seem to always have our number. We need to pound the rock and destroy them as their Run D is pretty abysmal.

Defense needs to step it up against a meh offense...but who knows. Jamaal Charles saw time 2 weeks ago with rest this past week.

If we win this game... I'll be very pleased. Don't care how. Just win baby.

Wonder if how many touches Charles will get in this game. Wonder what kind of player he is at this point because a huge part of his game is speed and quickness. Just because I enjoy his game I hope he's back 100% but I'm not sure how likely that is.

Chiefs need this game or the playoffs might be a long shot, but if the Raiders win they'd be in sole possession of first place in the AFCW for the first time in many many moons. This game might get nasty. The Raiders have something to prove as a young team and the Chiefs are like a wounded animal being cornered.

It'll be a strange day in hell when the Raiders own first place in the AFC West unequivocally. Give me the chiefs, to restore order. I believe in Jamaal Charles.

:Chiefs: 27

:Raiders: 20

Chiefs declared RB Knile Davis, QB Tyler Bray, CB Kenneth Acker, ILB Sio Moore, OL Bryan Witzmann, OL Jordan Devey, and TE Ross Travis inactive for Week 6 against the Raiders.

The Chiefs don't have a single player on their injury report out of the bye.

Clive Walford (knee) is active for Week 6 against the Chiefs.

He's not a recommended streaming option. Inactive for the Raiders are QB Connor Cook, RB Latavius Murray, CB Dexter McDonald, CB Antonio Hamilton, OT Menelik Watson, OT Matt McCants, and OT Vadal Alexander.

Saw this loss coming a mile away. Chiefs came into this game knowing what they wanted to do and the whole weather effect suits their team better than us without Latavius.

Defensively I've never been more appalled, it's been bad all year, and I'm tired of seeing opponent's run 5 WR sets and we continue to have 3 or 4 backers on the field.

193wxp0ekwqcsgif.gif

• Upvote 1