Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Colts @ Texans

STATS LLC Associated Press

Oct 12, 2016

HOUSTON -- Five games into the Brock Osweiler era and Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien has been cornered into defending a quarterback who, despite the hefty free-agent price tag, has performed no better than the collection of mediocre signal callers the Texans employed after running Matt Schaub out of town on the nearest rusty rail.

With Osweiler underperforming again in a road loss to the Minnesota Vikings last Sunday, an effort that included his seventh interception this season, the chorus of discontent only swelled. The Texans (3-2) invested $37 million guaranteed in Osweiler over two seasons hoping that he'd offer an improvement over the Ryan Fitzpatrick-Brian Hoyer-Ryan Mallett hodgepodge working under center in recent seasons.

Instead, the Texans have received more of the same at a greater cost. With the Indianapolis Colts (2-3) coming to town on Sunday and first place in the AFC South up for grabs, the Texans' offense ranks among the worst in the NFL. Osweiler is part of the issue.

Only two quarterbacks have thrown more interceptions than Osweiler: Fitzpatrick (10) with the Jets and Buccaneers second-year quarterback Jameis Winston (eight). With Osweiler taking every snap this season, the Texans' passer rating (70.6) ranks 30th in the league, as does their yards per pass play (6.0). Their 208.6 passing yards per game is 29th in the NFL.

"I think Brock is working very hard," said O'Brien, who relieved offensive coordinator George Godsey of play-calling duties two weeks ago. "He's very prepared. I think all of us, including himself, we all have to do a better job. I'm sure he'd be the first one to tell you. Look, he's got to improve in this area, that area, you know all those things.

"I think overall I've been happy with the way the guy prepares. Not happy with the way the offense has played. Not blaming it on anybody. Really taking responsibility for it here, right here because that's where the responsibility lies when you're the head football coach."

With Osweiler as the focal point offensively, the Texans ranks 27th in yards per game (310.4), 30th in scoring offense averaging 16.4 points and 31st in yards per play (4.7).

And while Osweiler has struggled with ball security, the Texans' issues offensively extend to the running game where another free agent, Lamar Miller, has yet to score despite 101 rushing attempts. His 371 rushing yards are fifth in the AFC and ninth in the league, but Miller is averaging just 3.7 yards per carry, well below expectations given his speed and past reputation as a constant threat to score.

The Texans have struggled with injuries on their offensive line -- three-time Pro Bowl tackle Duane Brown made his debut against the Vikings -- but averaging 3.8 yards per carry represents woes greater that health and getting Miller acclimated.

"I can promise you the way we study the tape as an offense, the way our coaches prepare us, the way our coaches coach us up throughout the week, especially after games when we break down that film, I can promise you we're getting better every single week," Osweiler said.

The Colts have dealt with their own issues on the offensive line, both in terms of health and productivity. They invested four draft picks in the line this past spring and three of those draftees -- center Ryan Kelly, guard/tackle Joe Haeg and tackle Austin Blythe -- have started for the Colts this season.

With right guard Denzell Goode returning from a back injury last week against the Bears, the Colts trotted out their optimal offensive line, relegating right tackle Joe Reitz to the bench. Yet they surrendered five sacks en route to a shootout victory.

Colts quarterback Andrew Luck has been sacked a league-high 20 teams for a league-leading 126 yards. He still ranks among the top five in the league in completions (second, 131), attempts (third, 205), yards (fourth, 1,469) and touchdown passes (tied for fifth, 10).

The Colts are fifth in the NFL in scoring at 27.4 points per game, but keeping Luck upright has been a problem and is a priority.

"I think maybe a bit too much is being made out of that," Luck said of the number of hits he has taken. "I think just go out, play football. Getting hit can be part of the position and part of it."

Colts coach Chuck Pagano said, "You don't want your quarterback hit. Period. We're trying to do everything possible to make sure that doesn't happen and limit that. He knows that and everybody knows that."

Why is this SNF? :fbm:

Because Osweiler was supposed to be good (he got paid and he won da games) and the media anointed Andrew Luck as the next great thing the minute he was drafted. We're still waiting on Luck to play like a top ten QB consistently... we'll be lucky if Osweiler ever plays better than a borderline backup. Also there was supposed to be DPOTE JJ Watt. How times have changed. It's gonna be an entertaining game though, the Colts never do anything the easy way.

:Texans: 24

:Colts: 27

Cool, tell me when he puts it all together and plays like that consistently, and not just in the 4th after he's put his team in the hole.

When you put your team in the hole in the first place it's not playing well. It's fixing the toilet that you clogged.

Andrew Luck is somewhere between where the media has him and where tgp does. Ryan Grigson has done everything in his power to sabotage the Colts and Luck. I think Luck plays better and wins more games with the team he's on than a lot of other QB's. Put Brock Osweiler on the Colts and they'd be lucky to win 4 games.

T.Y. Hilton (hip) is active for Week 6 against the Texans.

Hilton was listed as questionable, but his status was never in doubt. He has nine-plus targets in every game this year and is a WR1 against a banged up Texans secondary.
The Colts inactives are WR Donte Moncrief, CB Patrick Robinson, OT Le'Raven Clark, C Jonotthan Harrison, WR Devin Street, DL Zach Kerr, and DT T.Y. McGill

Will Fuller (hamstring) is active for Week 6 against the Colts.

Fuller was a game-time decision after a limited week of practice. There were conflicting reports on whether he would play, and he could see fewer snaps at less than 100 percent. Fuller is a high-risk WR3 despite a plus matchup.
The Texans inactives are QB Brandon Weeden, CB Kareem Jackson, S Quintin Demps, RB Jonathan Grimes, ILB Brian Peters, TE Stephen Anderson, and OG Jeff Allen.

*sips coffee menacingly*

Good ol top ten QB Andrew Luck really came through in the clutch today, huh?

that game was a 3.5 hour long lulz fest

I'm such a jaded fan, that I actually turned the game off and missed the comeback. :yao:

Colts are pathetic. Pagano's gonna be looking for a new job soon.

The Colts cannot protect Luck. They don't have a running game. Their defense is inconsistent. I don't see them finishing above 500. Maybe 6-10 or 7-9. They have alot of issues.

They have to build a better team before they do anything.

lol I dont need to. The names of the players is meaningless.

you should know this being a Rams fan. No one knows who the hell is on that team and they have won.

All I need to know is Andrew Luck. Just like all I needed to know as Dan Marino or John Elway.

heres a second and Third T.Y. Hilton and Frank Gore...thats enough,it doesnt matter otherwise.

The point was there is very little talent outside those few guys. If you can't name decent players, there is a lack of decent players!

Honestly, while I don't agree with any of the nonesense Phill is talking about, considering the division they are in, it really isn't all that hard to see them make the playoffs still.

This guy who posts on a philosphy forum that I frequently post on wore a similar avy, and I had him direct me to the artisit. And I just copied it from his pinterest page.

So I pretty much looked up on google something "cool and funky". Lol

• Upvote 1

they are all talented or they wouldnt be in the nfl. I/you/we just dont know their names

Thanks but I can name off players right now off the top of my head if you like. I'm appealing to your level of knowledge on their roster and the talent in it.

The Browns have a roster full of pro football players. Doesnt make em good.

Cody Kessler is technically a pro football player.

So is Scooby Wright.

So are Cody Parkey, Christian Kirskey and Xavier Cooper, but that doesn't mean I could pick them out of a mucho burrito line.

Don't forget stars like Briean Boddy-Calhoun or Spencer Drango. Hell, I'd argue that Seth DeValve is elite, I mean he IS a pro player.

It's a canadian franchise, dunno if they have them stateside or not, but there are a bunch in alberta.

Edited by RazorStar

Ah that's dope, I was in Salem the other day, spent all day on Lancaster Dr. trying all the Mexican joints.

I spend at least two days in Portland a week so I stop there every now and then.