Vin

Ravens @ Jets

STATS LLC Associated Press

Oct 20, 2016

The last time Geno Smith faced the Baltimore Ravens, he was in his 11th start as a rookie in 2013.

He didn't fare very well, completing just 9 of 22 passes and throwing two interceptions as his New York Jets lost 19-3 in Baltimore.

It was part of a forgettable rookie season for the quarterback, who completed just 55.8 percent of his passes and threw 21 interceptions vs. 12 touchdowns. He wasn't much better in his second season, which is why the Jets traded for Ryan Fitzpatrick in March 2015 and ended up making him the starter.

However, with Fitzpatrick benched Wednesday, Smith is back at the helm -- at least for now.

As the Jets (1-5) host the Ravens (3-3) on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET on CBS, his task is to try to spark an offense that ranks last in scoring (15.8 points per game) and No. 2 in turnovers (15).

"I felt it was time for a change," New York coach Todd Bowles said. "We got up there in the turnover category. We hadn't put any points up. We're trying to get a spark somewhere, so I made the change."

The Ravens hope they don't have to make a change at the same position.

Quarterback Joe Flacco has been sacked 11 times over the past three games -- all losses -- and is dealing with a sore right shoulder that kept him out of practice Wednesday.

"I have a little shoulder soreness," Flacco said. "A little bit of rest right now is probably the best thing."

Coach John Harbaugh said Flacco still has a "legitimate chance to play" against the Jets. Backup Ryan Mallett would start if Flacco cannot.

In two games filling in for an injured Flacco last season, Mallett completed 58 of 97 pass attempts (59.8 percent), with two touchdowns and two interceptions.

"Ryan (could be) a starter in this league," Harbaugh said. "That will not be a problem if he plays. I'll feel very confident if Ryan Mallett is out there playing."

That said, Harbaugh clearly would prefer his starter.

"Joe will be out there if he can be," the coach said. "There's no tougher guy than Joe. To me, he will be out there. It's my belief he'll be out there."

Considering the quarterback situations in this game, both teams will try to run the ball. However, the ground yardage might be hard to come by.

The Ravens could be without top pass rusher Terrell Suggs (torn biceps), but they still have the top run defense in the NFL, giving up just 69.7 yards per game.

The Jets' running attack ranks 19th at just 92.5 yards per game. Part of that is a lack of carries -- Matt Forte and Bilal Powell have combined for just 28 the past two weeks. Smith, a more mobile quarterback than Fitzpatrick, could help that effort.

The Jets also will hope Smith can take advantage of an injury-ravaged Ravens secondary and get the ball to top wide receiver Brandon Marshall, who has 27 receptions for 433 yards and two touchdowns.

Baltimore hopes to have starting cornerback Jimmy Smith back in the lineup after he sustained a concussion last week against the Giants. But the secondary is also dealing with several other injuries: Tavon Young (undisclosed), Jerraud Powers (groin) and Shareece Wright (hamstring). The status of that trio is uncertain.

The Ravens also will try to establish their running game, with Terrance West working to take some pressure off an offensive line that has not been able to protect Flacco. West has emerged as Baltimore's top back, rushing for 208 yards on 32 carries in the past two games.

Of course, the Jets have almost as staunch a run defense as the Ravens, ranking sixth in the NFL at 85.5 yards allowed per game. Baltimore's reshuffled line will have to contend with Leonard Williams (five sacks) and company.

Bowles plans to make a few personnel moves on defense, although he would not give any details.

"(None) that I feel like revealing," Bowles said, "but I've made some changes."

One potential switch would be benching cornerback Buster Skrine, who was flagged for four penalties Monday night in New York's 28-3 loss to the Arizona Cardinals. He could be replaced by Marcus Williams, who has nine interceptions in 27 career games.

:geno: gon win

This game is gonna suck donkey balls.

:Ravens: 13

:Jets: 16

Joe Flacco (shoulder) is active for Week 7 against the Jets.

Flacco missed a couple practices this week but returned to a full session on Friday.
LB Elvis Dumervil, LB C.J. Mosley, WR Steve Smith Sr., OT Ronnie Stanley, LB Terrell Suggs, CB Shareece Wright and OG Marshal Yanda round out the Ravens' Week 7 inactives.
Kamar Aiken (thigh), Devin Hester (thigh), Kendrick Lewis (thigh), Jerraud Powers (thigh) and Jimmy Smith (concussion) are all active.

Jets declared DE Muhammad Wilkerson, WR Jeremy Butler, QB Christian Hackenberg, LB Darron Lee, QB Bryce Petty, RT Brent Qvale and TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins inactive for Week 7 against the Ravens.

An ankle injury kept Wilkerson out of two of the Jets' three practices this week. Rather than having him play on a snap count, Wilkerson will sit this one out in hopes of returning next week against Cleveland. Ryan Clady (shoulder) and Nick Mangold (knee) are both active for the Jets.

Joe Flacco loves to show how terrible he is when he isn't getting constantly bailed out by a 6'5'' wideout or a PI flag.

• Upvote 1

:geno: gon win

Close :ooo:

I don't like that Fitzmagic came back in the game and won.

:no:

michael-jordan-crying-pancake.png?w=511