Bangy

Marcus Mariota is The Best Young QB In The NFL

So when Mariota came into the draft out of Oregon, the majority of people were saying that Jameis was by far the better QB and that Mariota would flop due to the fact that he was a spread system QB and the last QB duck that had hype was Joey Harrington...

Well boys we're 20 games into his professional career and I think it's time to put to rest the fact that Mariota is not only the best young QB in the league but possibly the next big QB. Now this isn't just me being an Oregon homer (which I usually am) I am going to do something I rarely do. Hit Y'all with facts.

Mariota has thrown for 33 touchdowns in his career so far, this is more than the following prior too him: Jameis Winston, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Russell Wilson, Andy Dalton, Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, Ben Roethlisburger, Eli Manning and Cam Newton

He has also only thrown 16 INT's in this period of time with ONLY Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan and Ben Roethlisberger who all threw 13. He also has a passer rating of 92.9 which is ridiculous and only surpassed by Wilson and Big Ben and is 10 points higher than Jameis.

For someone who many deemed wasn't intelligent enough, didn't have the arm to make all the throws, for some ridiculous reason was thought to be injury prone (Only missed 3 games in college) and is behind that Titans O-Line. It's time to admit that Mariota is the best young QB in the league.

9f026fc0-4449-4dc5-a226-2e2830619381-201

I had Mariota over Winston btw.

• Upvote 1

Brady, Palmer, Big Ben, Eli all started their careers when defense was still allowed in this league so their numbers are gonna be lower.

Marcus Ardel Taulauniu Mariota is doing really well tho. Didn't realize he was doing as well as he was since I haven't watched more than 5 straight plays of a Titans game all year. Looks like they have a good shot at the division. They are the team to root for cause who the fuck wants to see another texans or colts playoff embarassment?

Edited by BradyFan81

Brady, Palmer, Big Ben, Eli all started their careers when defense was still allowed in this league so their numbers are gonna be lower.

Marcus Ardel Taulauniu Mariota is doing really well tho. Didn't realize he was doing as well as he was since I haven't watched more than 5 straight plays of a Titans game all year. Looks like they have a good shot at the division. They are the team to root for cause who the fuck wants to see another texans or colts playoff embarassment?

I won't disagree that this does have an effect on some of his numbers, but I still don't think that it takes too much away from him. I feel that he is probably one of the most intelligent game managing QB's to come out of college and straight up start.

I agree, I would actually like to see the Titans win the division. The skill positions on the Titans offence look like they will be stacked for a while and if they can improve that line I generally believe the Titans can rule that division for a while.

What -- did Andrew Luck just give up on this title? He could be 40 and still be the best young QB in the NFL -- just waiting.

• Upvote 2

Derek Carr is head and shoulders above the other young QB's...,

Mariota is def second tho

Derek Carr is head and shoulders above the other young QB's...,

Mariota is def second tho

It's tight between Carr and Mariota. Going on a pure statistical basis, Mariota beats out Carr for more TD passes, less INT's thrown and a higher passer rating in those first 20 games. He has also had a lot less weapons to use until this year with Henry, Murray and Sharpe to name a few. I personally would take Mariota on the above over Carr but I will agree the two are leaving Winston in the dust right now and making both Oakland and Tennessee much more improved teams.

We're not talking first 20 games. We're talking who is the best young quarterback right now. Carr is definitely better at this point in time. Now, if Mariota finishes this season like he started it, there is a very strong argument he is better.

Carr this season is 66% for 1808 yards, 13 TDs and 3 INTs.

Mariota is 63% for 1874 yards, 14 TDs and 6 INTs.

Mariota has not been as good as his numbers. A lot of his incompletions have been way off target and he's playing incredibly risk adverse, which helps the int numbers. He's far from the best young qb right now, but he's been solid and trending upward which is all I want from a second year guy.

• Upvote 2

Two of Tennessee's losses fall squarely on Mariota's shoulders (Minnesota and Indy). He's hot or cold, and his cold moments are pure 100% disaster.

Two of Tennessee's losses fall squarely on Mariota's shoulders (Minnesota and Indy). He's hot or cold, and his cold moments are pure 100% disaster.

Indy loss was substantially on the defense, otherwise I agree with this post

He's not the best young QB, and as far as being second best, he isn't playing that much better then Winston.

Jameis so far in his career.

58.8%. 5638 yards. 34 TDs. 24 INTs.

Mariota

62.6%. 4692 yards. 33 TDs. 16 INTs.

And if you're strictly talking this year, Mariota has been much much better.

I will say I should have put through 20 games in the title and it is from a purely statistical view. I will also admit I didn't think to look at Pass Comp % as I was at 6:30am here and I was trying to put the post up before work. So can that be changed in the title.

I feel the team around Carr is better especially on the O-Line compared to Winston and Mariota which imo makes Carr looks better.

Also Cheryl to compare this to Carr If I have worked out Carr's Completion percentage correctly.

Carr

59.07% 4129 yards. 27 TDS. 14 INTS

Mariota

Edited by Zack_of_Steel
  • Upvote 1

Mariota

These stats tell us really nothing.

Jameis last year attempted more downfield passes then just about every QB in the league.

Mariota was sheltered last year and still looked average. Which is great for a rookie, especially considering how bad that line was.

But there is no question who the better QB was last year all things considered.

And if you're strictly talking this year, Mariota has been much much better.

Coincidentally, this season Mariota has already faced just about all the worst pass defenses in the league, while in the first 4 weeks alone Winston faced 2 of the 5 best, and 3 of the 10 best total.

And has looked extremely subpar against just about all of them including the Raiders, where he looked God awful against a team giving up 8.4 yards a pass.

In fact, I'm not sure how anyone can watch Mariota play this season and come away saying he's been anywhere as good as his total numbers indicate.

These stats tell us really nothing.

Jameis last year attempted more downfield passes then just about every QB in the league.

Mariota was sheltered last year and still looked average. Which is great for a rookie, especially considering how bad that line was.

But there is no question who the better QB was last year all things considered.

Coincidentally, this season Mariota has already faced just about all the worst pass defenses in the league, while in the first 4 weeks alone Winston faced 2 of the 5 best, and 3 of the 10 best total.

And has looked extremely subpar against just about all of them including the Raiders, where he looked God awful against a team giving up 8.4 yards a pass.

In fact, I'm not sure how anyone can watch Mariota play this season and come away saying he's been anywhere as good as his total numbers indicate.

The other side too this though is the fact that despite him looking subpar on the field, he is still putting up those number while progressing as a QB. I don't know if it's just me but that make it more impressive.

I will say I should have put through 20 games in the title and it is from a purely statistical view. I will also admit I didn't think to look at Pass Comp % as I was at 6:30am here and I was trying to put the post up before work. So can that be changed in the title.

I feel the team around Carr is better especially on the O-Line compared to Winston and Mariota which imo makes Carr looks better.

Well seeing as the Titans have the best line of the three and Mariota has looked noticeably worse then Carr, I'm not sure what to make of this...

The other side too this though is the fact that despite him looking subpar on the field, he is still putting up those number while progressing as a QB. I don't know if it's just me but that make it more impressive.

I think all this means is that you're overrating him based on how he's looked against awful defenses and simplified role...

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Well seeing as the Titans have the best line of the three and Mariota has looked noticeably worse then Carr, I'm not sure what to make of this...

Ok I will take that comment back a bit as I actually wasn't aware of how good the Titans line has been this year. I still would say it is close between Carr and Mariota and my title needs changing to the first 20 games

As a Titan fan, I will say Carr is the better QB. Winston is still tied with Mariota. Both don't have enough body work yet to say who is better. Each has had their moments good or bad.

The Titans online is solid good. We don't have a Mike Evans WR just like Jamison is missing his run game. If Mariota had a coach who would know how to use him, THEN I would bet Mariota would become better.

As of right now, he fumbles too much and he tries to hard. Hes young, he will make young QB mistakes. He just needs to trust himself and not second guess himself in crucial moments.

Toss up.

Carr has Amari, and Crabtree, but an inconsistent run game behind him. The line plays very well...however...the Raiders defense is generally putting him in shitty situations and field position that puts more stress on him late in games, which he succeeds at.

Mariota has the best back and run game in the league behind him right now and also has an elite TE with little help on the o-line...but defensively they are a good group that at least give him respectable field position.

I see what you're saying. I just would like to point out it's not that big of a difference IMO>

• Upvote 1

Mariota started the season anywhere from average to extremely poorly in his first 4 games. Has played, for the most part, very well in the last 4.

He's 20 starts in, so he's barely even in to his 2nd season as a starter. His deep ball has improved from last year which is good, and he still (mostly) limits his mistakes in terms of throwing the ball. He's inconsistent which is to be expected from such an inexperienced player, but all in all his arrow is pointing up.

In regards to comparing him to Winston, I wouldn't even consider trading. Winston makes far more mistakes despite having far better targets, I seriously question his overall intelligence as well, which while I know football IQ is the most important aspect, as dumb as he is in general I can't buy him being very smart in terms of football either.

As far as the "best young QB", I don't really give a shit who gets that label.

And in regards to Churles' most recent post..we have had arguably the best o-line in football. Mariota's protection is top notch this season. It was shit tier last year.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

Jameis doesn't have better targets, by far. Just a better target. The Bucs literally have no weapons outside of Mike Evans (even with a healthy V-Jax). Comparing Mariota and Winston is stupid anyways because they play completely different styles. Jameis will always throw more picks but that is because he pushes the ball down field. Mariota doesn't have the arm to make the throws Jameis can. Both guys have their plusses and minuses. It just depends on what you're looking for.

Derek Carr is for sure currently better than both though.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Derek Carr.

Jameis doesn't have better targets, by far. Just a better target. The Bucs literally have no weapons outside of Mike Evans (even with a healthy V-Jax). Comparing Mariota and Winston is stupid anyways because they play completely different styles. Jameis will always throw more picks but that is because he pushes the ball down field. Mariota doesn't have the arm to make the throws Jameis can. Both guys have their plusses and minuses. It just depends on what you're looking for.

Derek Carr is for sure currently better than both though.

This is a cop out lol. Since when has that stopped anybody from comparing any player at any position. Why are you on a football forum? You also said Carr is better than both, but Carr's playing style is as totally different from Mariota's as Winston's.

Edited by seanbrock