Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Colts @ Packers

STATS LLC Associated Press

Nov 02, 2016

Andrew Luck against Aaron Rodgers.

Two of the NFL's best quarterbacks will take center stage on Sunday at Lambeau Field, However, neither Luck's Colts nor Rodgers' Packers have played to expectations at the season's midpoint. Sunday's game could be a turning point for the winner.

Indianapolis is 3-5. After opening with back-to-back losses, it's alternated wins and losses the next six weeks and is coming off a 30-14 home drubbing at the hands of the Chiefs.

"We've played some good football, we've played some not-so-good football," coach Chuck Pagano said. "We're more than capable. There's plenty of video evidence there that shows that. Now, it's just a matter of playing four quarters and being more consistent. That's what we're back on the practice field trying to do."

Green Bay is 4-3. It's lost two of its last three games, with the lone win coming against Chicago, which played most of the game with its third-team quarterback.

There is a feeling of optimism, however, for the injury-plagued Packers. They lost on a last-second touchdown at Atlanta last week despite not having their top two running backs (Eddie Lacy and James Starks), top three cornerbacks (Sam Shields, Damarious Randall and Quinten Rollins), two of their wide receivers (Randall Cobb and Ty Montgomery), premier defender (Clay Matthews) and their primary tight end (Jared Cook).

"You look at the inactive last week, that's a pretty doggone good team that's sitting, and that's not even counting Eddie and Sam, who are on the IR," Rodgers said. "That's the way the league goes. There's going to be years like this with a lot of injuries. Nobody feels sorry for you. There's no excuses. You've got to go out and play and make plays and find a way to win games, and that's one thing we've got to figure out these next nine games that we've got to win ballgames like that."

Much of the optimism revolves around Rodgers. After an unproductive start to the season, Rodgers over the past two weeks ranks third in passer rating, second in completions and first in touchdown passes.

"They've got one of the greatest quarterbacks, if not the greatest quarterback, to ever play this game in Aaron Rodgers," Pagano said. "The guy's unbelievable. I don't let our guys look at numbers because you can just look at the stats and say, 'They're ranked this, that and the other.' I just see a talented, talented football player who's as good as there is at that position in this league surrounded by a bunch of talent."

Rodgers will face a Colts defense that has proven vulnerable against the pass. Indianapolis ranks 31st with 287.8 passing yards allowed per game. While former Packers linebacker Erik Walden has six sacks, the Colts just haven't made enough plays defensively. They've allowed a 66.8 percent completion rate with 14 touchdowns vs. two interceptions.

"Some of the injuries, it's made us be even a little bit more creative because we've had to come up with way to put guys in position to be successful," Rodgers said. "We've been a lot more efficient in the passing game the last couple weeks than we had before that."

Based on the quarterbacks and secondaries, this could be a shootout. Luck is putting up monster numbers with 2,284 yards and 16 touchdowns. He's topped 300 yards four times this season and will be attacking a Packers secondary riddled with questions. Even one of the Packers' fill-in corners, Demetri Goodson, is hurt -- he missed Wednesday's practice with a concussion -- thought it's possible Rollins will return after missing the last three games with an injured groin.

Looking to exploit that banged-up secondary will be fleet-footed receiver T.Y. Hilton, who is sixth in the league with 46 receptions and fourth with 709 yards. However, the Colts must do a much better job of protecting Luck. He's been sacked 31 times, including at least five in four games.

"It is frustrating when you don't play well," Luck said. "Certainly, no one's pointing fingers. I think we all feel as an offense that we didn't hold up our end of the bargain. I know I don't feel like I held up my end of the bargain of being the quarterback for a team and giving us a chance to win. But now we go back to the drawing board and then go back out to practice and work on the mistakes and get ready to play a good Green Bay team. Certainly, there's a bit of frustration, but Coach Pagano does a great job of channeling I think everybody's energy in a positive way and moving on."

ooh ooh I know, I know. Gotta go to space.

:Packers: 24 (all in the first half)

:Colts: 27 (most all of it in the second half)

Green Bay just isn't very good. Now, that's not to say that they can't be by the end of the season.

At the same time, if I'm a Green Bay fan, I'm fine with one sub-par season if it gets Mike McCarthy the hell out of town. He's just like Mike Tomlin--he's run his course. Time for a new voice.

One thing Packers fans can be happy about is that Aaron Rodgers is playing a little bit more like Aaron Rodgers should.

Success is debatable on how you define it. If you are content with just playoff appearances, than ya McCarthy is successful just like Andy Reid, Norv Turner, John Fox, and plenty of other HCs that have been shown the door after unsuccessful playoff appearances. But being anointed as Super Bowl contenders every offseason for the last 5 years and failing to make it is not successful. If you look at this team, it is obvious that has became stagnant and lacks intensity and will to win. It almost seems like they go out there and go through the motions of the game and that's it. Defenses have figured out how to beat McCarthy and he is unwilling to change his gameplan. Injuries and such forced us to change for the Bears and Falcons game and the offense was successful. Then we revert back to the basic 11 formation with the same WRs out for nearly every play and the offense becomes stagnant again. It is time for something to change. I highly doubt it does though and I would bet nothing changes until Thompson retires after his contract is up in 2018.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

The issue is the Packers have had one of, if not the best QB in the NFL for the past, what, decade? And they have a total of one Lombardi to show for it. Not only that, but some of their worst losses you can easily trace back to McCarthy being directly or indirectly responsible. McCarthy is not a good coach. He has simply had the best QB we've seen in a long time in the prime of his career. If A-Rod ends his career with only 1 Lombardi, that is a crime.

• Upvote 1

McCarthy has also had what some deem as one of the best QBs. That is the exact logic that so many Packers fans use...Its very faulty as you are basically becoming satisfied with just having a chance. With the talent the Packers have had, being satisfied with only 1 Super Bowl appearance is quite absurd.

You clearly cannot grasp what is being said here. So would you agree that the Packers have had one of the best QBs and overall a talented team in the past 6 years. Yet McCarthy is easily outcoached and it is severely shown come playoff time. Look at the embrassing losses to the Giants in 2011 and the 49ers in back to back years or the 2014 NFCCG collapse. McCarthy looks lost at times and Rodgers has been able to hide that by controlling the offense and being great. But now Rodgers hasn't been playing at that level and the entire team is stagnant and going nowhere.

Congrats you picked against a Packers team slumping and underperforming. You are amazing, we should all just deem you as the NFL expert and not bother going against you say.

Edit: McCarthy just had his press conference and said he isnt concerned about the direction the team is headed. You have been embarrassed at home twice now and you aren't concerned? Rodgers said the team needs to play with more energy, then McCarthy says the energy is fine.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

waaa we keep going to playoffs and being a top 12 team waaaa

until fans actually dont fill the stadium, neither the owners nor the team have a problem.

fans are so stupid lol they donate money having no clue where it goes for a pretend thought that they are part owners.

lol at giving me a negative vote for making a positive comment about success.

and dont forget, I did in fact pick the Pack to lose to the Colts. I believe i'm the only one who did? maybe one other guy?

"Success" has a different meaning for different teams.

"Success" for the Browns would be to win a game this season. Because they have lost 27 out of their last 30 games.

"Success" for the Lions would be defined as making the playoffs because they've been decent and have yet to consistently make the playoffs.

"Success" stops being defined as just "winning games" when you have an all time great at Quarterback. Nobody talks about how many times Brady has been to the playoffs, or Bill Belichick because nobody cares (at least as it relates to this subject). Everyone only talks about him many rings they've won. That's success.

That same logic applies to Rodgers.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F
  • Upvote 1