Sign in to follow this  
BJORN

Spanos rejected harder than a Shill-dog on election night

TLDR: Chargers got 43% of the vote on their downtown stadium plan, needed 67% or 51% depending on a supreme court case to pass. Feeling is still that the NFL wants to keep the Chargers in SD. Spanos thanks everyone who supported but won't make decision until after the season (see letter below).

Per Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Tribune:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/chargers/sd-sp-kras-spanos-chargers-20161108-story.html

Voters stiff-armed the Chargers facility initiative, Measure C, that would’ve raised hotel taxes and funneled $1.15 billion toward a downtown stadium and convention center annex projected to cost $1.8 billion. The Bolts needed 67 percent of the vote.

They got 43.04 percent when 100 percent of the election-day votes were tallied as of Wednesday morning. (Approximately 620,000 mail/provisional ballots remain to be counted, according to the county registrar, so the final percentage could change.)

The next big step for Spanos and his advisers, if one believes the inside dope served up by former Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith, is to try to come up with a new stadium solution that San Diego voters would approve. Or, try to somehow get around a public vote. Smith, who worked for nearly 30 years in the league, said the team’s option to move to Inglewood is just a piece of paper. The NFL, he said two months ago, is set on keeping the Chargers in San Diego, the team’s home since 1961. So the Chargers, per Smith, have to play ball with San Diego and especially Faulconer.

Spanos' Letter to fans:

First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who worked so hard throughout this campaign. From the Chamber of Commerce to the Building Trades and organized labor, from the fan groups to the volunteers who helped us collect more than 110,000 signatures and knock on more than 50,000 doors. Every member of the Chargers organization will be forever grateful for your tremendous help and steadfast support.

This has been a long campaign, and I’m sure we all want to put aside stadium talk for a while and focus on the rest of the Chargers’ season. Our team, with its mix of veteran leaders and young stars, has played some of the most exciting football in the NFL so far, and I can’t wait to see how we do throughout the rest of the season. Our players have shown great heart and resilience in the NFL’s toughest division. I’m eager – as I’m sure you all are – to give the stadium debate a rest and enjoy some Chargers football.

So I’m going to put aside any discussion of our possible next steps until after the season, to allow everyone to focus on football and to give my family and me time to think carefully about what is best for the future of our franchise. Over the coming weeks you may hear news about steps that we must take to preserve all of our options. But please know that I don’t intend to make any decisions until after the regular season ends and that, in the meantime, I hope to enjoy with you one great Chargers game after another.